Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > The /newstuff Chronicles #419
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Phobus
Forum Staple

Wow, what a massive pile of crap the .WADs in this /newstuff are! Is quantity the only goal here or something? Please, somebody upload something decent for once :P

Glad to see we're caught up to the present at last... Only took a year or so for this process to work.

Old Post 10-19-12 09:56 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

Phobus, that's what I have been saying, there was a large backlog of stuff that people didn't want to play, hence no reviews. Saying this out loud seems to be a cardinal sin despite nobody proving it wrong. From now on I won't rag the Phantom Uploaders, even though I still believe they are not all acting in anyone's interest. This Ogre chap, for instance, rates the worst maps 5* which is basically trolling, read his comments for further proof.

Old Post 10-19-12 10:44 #
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Retog

That 300 wad is very easy. There is no way for the monsters to even go through the gate unless you do. Just run up and kill the icon of sin, end of.

Old Post 10-19-12 12:43 #
Retog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Ha! Just watched Bloodshedder's included video - I do love his little additions to these :D

Old Post 10-19-12 13:07 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Herculine

Doomguy 2000 said:

Well at least what Walter thought about it since it's apparently been approved for publishing and because it has me featured in the challenge pack. What niche are you talking about?

The niche you specifically mentioned by name.

Doomguy 2000 said:
What's most interesting about the newstuff chronicles is that Terry style wads never get reviews.

An unpopular niche, as I said, but still a niche. Those wads do in fact get reviews eventually.

Old Post 10-19-12 13:39 #
Herculine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Phobus said:
Wow, what a massive pile of crap the .WADs in this /newstuff are! Is quantity the only goal here or something? Please, somebody upload something decent for once :P
Dude, you don't get it, the community is doing a great job tuning the quality of the WADs to the quality of the reviews they'll get!

Old Post 10-19-12 15:31 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

GreyGhost said:
Finally found the spot, though placing a thing to mark the walkthrough location results in it going away. Probably a nodebuilder error.
I've never seen an error like that before, but I guess I don't really move against every wall either. I wonder if it was intentional?

Old Post 10-19-12 15:39 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

myk said:
Dude, you don't get it, the community is doing a great job tuning the quality of the WADs to the quality of the reviews they'll get!

Doomworld, home of the prescient?

Old Post 10-19-12 17:21 #
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

Retog said:
That 300 wad is very easy. There is no way for the monsters to even go through the gate unless you do. Just run up and kill the icon of sin, end of.

Uhh, which source port are you using?

Old Post 10-19-12 20:19 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

Isn't it amazing how almost every map in the archive has suddenly been claimed for review? That's good, but where have all the reviewers come from??

The 300 map is entirely possible to lose without leading the baddies through the gates. I missed one on a charge straight into their lines and died because of it, so they do fulfil their function.

Last edited by MajorRawne on 10-19-12 at 20:49

Old Post 10-19-12 20:43 #
dew
experts

MajorRawne said:
Isn't it amazing how almost every map in the archive has suddenly been claimed for review? That's good, but where have all the reviewers come from??

maybe people got afraid you'd do all of the reviews by yourself.

Old Post 10-19-12 20:59 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomguy 2000
Banned

Herculine said:
An unpopular niche, as I said, but still a niche. Those wads do in fact get reviews eventually.

Then how come they are never posted as apart of the newstuff chronicles? That niche seems to be popular in the idgames archive since these wads appear to get more attention than most normal wads that get released.

Last edited by Doomguy 2000 on 10-25-12 at 20:22

Old Post 10-19-12 21:12 #
Doomguy 2000 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

MajorRawne said:
That's good, but where have all the reviewers come from??

The 57th pit of Tartarus. I summoned them myself by pouring blood from a black goat's still-beating heart on an ethernet cable.

Old Post 10-19-12 21:14 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cannonball

Doomguy 2000 said:

Then how come they are never posted as apart of the newstuff chronicles? That niche seems to be popular in the idgames archive since theses wads appear to get more attention than most normal wads that get released.

Simple answer, humans like to hate things, hence those wads get lots of reviews on idgames because of it. As someone said earlier it's easier to moan and bitch about something when compared to praising something. Just human nature, especially where I live.

Old Post 10-19-12 21:15 #
cannonball is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

dew said:

maybe people got afraid you'd do all of the reviews by yourself.

Been there, done that, earned 25% from subsequent revenue.

Gez said:

The 57th pit of Tartarus. I summoned them myself by pouring blood from a black goat's still-beating heart on an ethernet cable.

Black magic in the information age: for when you need your minions at the push of a button.

Old Post 10-19-12 21:36 #
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Gez said:

Mwah hah haaaaa....

Old Post 10-19-12 22:52 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Rawne:
BloodyAcid - sorry for the rant, but if you have failed to read a post where I specifically address an issue you later bring back up, that's your fault, not mine.

EDIT: Fraggle, you're not seriously telling me one of the most famous DM wads of all time isn't worthy of a mention?

Me not thoroughly inspecting every individual post made during a heated argument is not my fault; you could have made a simple statement here instead of blaming it on me. The main point still stands - you took the criticism with a shitty attitude. Anyways, don't bother replying, this will just drag on. Just let this little discussion end here.

Oh, and Dwango might be famous, but should not be used as a reference for good DM wads, if I'm interpreting Fraggle correctly.

Old Post 10-19-12 23:20 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiTROACTiVE
Forum Regular

Thank you Grain of Salt for reviewing the first episode of my megawad Illuminatus. I know some of the maps can use some work and I understand why you feel that way. For MAP03, I was inspired by Doom’s E2M6 starting area with the nukage hallway and the medikits and maybe I should get rid of the radiation suit and/or the medikits, or maybe I should make the hallway longer. As for the untagged vital lifts in the same map, I’ll have to fix those too. For maps MAP04 and MAP05 I should consider adding more ammo in those levels to make the barons and hell knights easier to fight. As for MAP07 I’ll have to fix the problem you mentioned about the monsters not getting block lines and getting stuck, and maybe I should really figure out how to make that map more challenging. Now about how Grain of Salt said something about the placing of weapons and amour, should I consider placing more amour and starter weapons in some maps? Anyways thanks again Grain of Salt for reviewing my WAD, and thanks for pointing out some of the problems you found.

Old Post 10-20-12 01:03 #
NiTROACTiVE is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

GreyGhost said:
Reviewed back in #413

Ah, thanks! I was hoping that was the case... :P

But yeah, before posting that, I made sure to search for "Parkour" on the Doomworld News forum. No results, and repeating it now only turns up this one thread. Is there something about the formatting of the OP that's causing it to not register in a forum search?

Old Post 10-20-12 23:00 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

You're welcome.

The forum search failure probably has something to do with the way news posts are linked to (or from) the main site. I found the review by working my way backwards through the old news, a Google search would have been quicker.

Old Post 10-21-12 01:09 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

COME ON PEOPLE, MAKE MORE NEW WADS AND UPLOAD MORE WADS FROM THE 90'S. THE NEWSTUFF BACKLOG IS ALMOST CLEARED.

Old Post 10-23-12 18:16 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Processingcontrol

I never thought I'd see the day that none of the wads at the Review Center would be locked.

Congrats to all the reviewers.

Old Post 10-23-12 22:24 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

I submitted a review!

I wanted to try Tartarus but it's too dumb hard.

Old Post 10-23-12 23:10 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote