Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Go Retro

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:50. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Linguica

After nearly a year, Chris Hansen has finally released his nine-level WAD "CH Retro," an episode replace for Doom's episode 1 that look to capture the style and feel of, well, Doom's episode 1. Anyone who played the single level of the same name released by Hansen last summer will remember his devotion to recreating that inexplicable quality that episode 1 exuded, and this full episode builds upon that tremendously.

According to the author of the WAD, "the simple goal of 'CH Retro' (is) to give today's players an interpretation of those original maps. To pull out (John Romero's) techniques and ideas, mix them with some texture alignment and some modern editing techniques and mould it all into a new wad, a new episode 1, a tribute to Romero's old, brilliant maps! Each map (is) slightly different from the previous, thus gradually presenting the player with new forms of areas and rooms giving the episode that feel of the player moving through several different installations and stations; just like Romero's episode.

"The maps (...) grow in size and difficulty both in terms of opposition and puzzles. In order not to lose touch with the original episode 1, I've also chosen to make the maps playable with the good old executable (newest version of course). No fancy effects, no new textures, flats, sounds, sprites, music or monsters and no use of sourceport features whatsoever."

If this interests you, here are the links to download various packages of the WAD:

Zipped version of the episode
Self extracting version of the episode
Zipped version of the episode with Gl nodes
Self extracting version of the episode with Gl nodes

Old Post 05-19-02 08:45 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fyrestorm

awesome maps. great ep1 feel to them. now someone speedrun em.

Old Post 05-20-02 01:45 #
fyrestorm is offline Profile || Blog || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

I started the episode, and I'm on E1M9 right now, but so far it's been quite enjoyable. Great E1 feel, with a few touches of "modern" level-making style thrown in.

Old Post 05-20-02 02:37 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
msquid
Green Marine

I like it!

Old Post 05-21-02 01:39 #
msquid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
LeaverAndrew
Mini-Member

Awesome Levels..Reminded me alot of the Orginal Doom Epsiode.

Kick ass!

Old Post 05-21-02 14:14 #
LeaverAndrew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Read my review to see what I thought of it. :)

Old Post 05-21-02 20:37 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Wildman

Finally had a chance to try it and it rocks. Great job.

Old Post 05-26-02 20:18 #
Wildman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jello

Finally got around to playing these things. I downloaded it earlier and I played through the whole thing in one sitting. Definetely a great bundle of levels, on UV it can get pretty nasty at times, but there's always enough ammo and health to make it through. If you haven't played this episode yet you need to, it's pretty damn good. It also succeeded pretty well in it's attempt to emulate the first episode, so yup. Good job Chris, keep up the great work.

Old Post 05-28-02 05:29 #
Jello is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Chris Hansen
(used to be c-cooper)

Thank you very much! All of you! I must say that I am overwhelmed with all the positive feedback. I am glad you all liked it. I was a bit nervous that Episode 1 levels was getting a bit too popular and that as a result of that, CH Retro Episode would have disappeared in the lot. But again, thanks a million for the cool comments!

Old Post 05-29-02 18:27 #
Chris Hansen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Very nice levels. I love the E1 style :)

Old Post 06-06-02 17:25 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Erik

great episode. I participated a little in a demopack for it and I can say for sure that these levels have great replay value. anyone got :07 on e1m1? :P

Old Post 06-06-02 18:13 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

I played the CH Retro Episode and I can honestly say I like it!
Quite fun, indeed!
Good job, Chris Hansen!

Old Post 06-06-02 20:33 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote