Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM RETRO v1.6

In anticipation of New Hallows’ Eve, Brad Harding is proud to finally announce the release of version 1.6 of DOOM RETRO. This iteration sees many, many new features, the most significant of which includes dynamic shadows, the clipping of sprites in liquid, and DeHacked support. Visit the ]DOOM RETRO homepage to download it and browse its ridiculously exhaustive release notes.

bradharding said:

dynamic shadows

Sweet, it kinda feels like the Build engine.

However, the locked doors no longer show the message of what key is required to open them.

Yeah, I'm quite pleased with how the shadows ended up! :)

As for the message when trying to open a locked door: Messages are off by default, and so these messages won't display without changing it. Just then double-checked this myself.

Congratulations on the release! Glad you were able to get shadows working :)

One thing, though:

Fake contrast is no longer applied to walls in outdoor areas.

This is a bad idea because it's going to change the intended appearance of existing maps. Disabling it is something that really should only be done on a per-map basis, set by the mapper intentionally in MAPINFO or elsewhere, not by a player or port developer.

esselfortium said:

Congratulations on the release! Glad you were able to get shadows working :)

Thanks! I'm a big fan of BTSX by the way! You'll note I've included specific support for both episodes in v1.6...

[No fake contrast] is a bad idea because it's going to change the intended appearance of existing maps. Disabling it is something that really should only be done on a per-map basis, set by the mapper intentionally in MAPINFO or elsewhere, not by a player or port developer.

Noted. And you're right. I'll look into removing this for the next release. Thanks. The difference isn't that great anyway.

bradharding said:

Thanks! I'm a big fan of BTSX by the way! You'll note I've included specific support for both episodes in v1.6...

Glad you've enjoyed it :) What does this specific BTSX support actually entail?

esselfortium said:

Glad you've enjoyed it :) What does this specific BTSX support actually entail?

Nothing major really. From the release notes:

Specific support has also been added for both episodes of Back to Saturn X:
* The window caption is displayed as “Back to Saturn X E1: Get Out Of My Stations” or “Back to Saturn X E2: Tower in the Fountain of Sparks”.
* DOOM RETRO’s custom sprite offsets, previously only used with the official DOOM IWADS, are now used. This fixes a bug that caused some level decorations to “twitch” as they animated.
* If only BTSX_E2A.WAD is loaded from the WAD launcher, then BTSX_E2B.WAD is automatically loaded as well, and vice-versa.
* The map number in the message displayed when using the IDCLEVxy cheat is of the form “ExMyy” to match what’s displayed in the automap.
* To avoid a crash, you are no longer able to warp to a DOOM II map that is not replaced by a map in Back to Saturn X’s PWAD, using either the –WARP command-line parameter or the IDCLEVxy cheat.

Also, it was BTSX that encouraged me to put in the ability to read DEHACKED lumps in this release.