Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom Gets Plastered: The 21st Annual Cacowards

Happy birthday to our favorite game. :)

A very good read, these Cacowards - props to the authors.

Congrats to Ty, to all Cacoward winners, and to Joshy !
I guess it wasn't an easy pick between him, mouldy, and the King of the Tower in the Fountain of Sparks ( a.k.a. Xaser ), all of them delivered top-quality stuff this year.

Now let's celebrate, and prepare our bodies for what 2015 will bring !

Damn, it's crazy to think that it's been 21 years and the Doom community is still going strong. Here's to another 21 years!

Gonna go replay E1 of Doom again to celebrate.

It's embarrassing to think that I completely forgot about Joshy when thinking of who could possibly be mapper of the year. A well deserved award to someone who has produced many great maps and of course Resurgence this year.

Some festive ales are currently being consumed in celebration. Also a big thumbs up to all those involved in writing the reviews for the awards. A great read.

Congrats to everyone who won! I've only skimmed through the 'wards so far, but I think each project that was selected was very deserving of it. As usual, there were so many great releases this year that I'm sure it wasn't easy picking winners. And I hope that continues to be a problem into the future ;).

Also I'm glad to see that Reconstruction/Decomposition got a mention at the very least because that was a really fantastic release.

Congratulations to all the winners! And of course a big thanks to the guys who made this edition of the Cacowards possible.... And on time, too :)

I watch someone playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I see a solid action RPG, good for killing a lot of time.

I look at a screenshot of a Doom wad - all it takes is a glipse - and I'm immediately transported. I immediately feel the horrible wonder of an exotic, mystic, demon-infested world.

Great work everyone. I love you all.

Impressive work on the Cacowards article and congratulations to all the winners - especially Ty. Looking at the runners up and some of the cool stuff there wasn't room to mention suggests 2014 will be remembered as a vintage year... and I remember earlier on in the year thinking it could be a slow one after the hullabaloo surrounding the big anniversary in 2013.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Happy birthday to our favorite game. :)

A very good read, these Cacowards - props to the authors.

Congrats to Ty, to all Cacoward winners, and to Joshy !
I guess it wasn't an easy pick between him, mouldy, and the King of the Tower in the Fountain of Sparks ( a.k.a. Xaser ), all of them delivered top-quality stuff this year.

Now let's celebrate, and prepare our bodies for what 2015 will bring !

Adventures of Square, Going Down, Thy Flesh turned into a draft-excluder, Resurgence and Bauhaus were 5 I knew would make it. And yes its great to hear about Ty too, all the effort he has put in over the past 19 or 20 years. An excellent read.

2015, bring it on.

Hellbent said:

Someone make me a drunk wad if it hasn't already been done.

It's been done before.

Anyways, happy 21st Doom! Finally looking forward to hitting some stateside bars with you! Congrats to all winners. Maybe I'll even try playing a couple of the wads :(

Wow, the lack of Golden Souls on this list blew me away - It was my #1 for this year.

Excellent job everyone.. I've only played about half of these, time to give 'em a crack!

Congratulations everyone on another great Cacowards, and timely too! And the screen shot for the D2INO Mordeth Award is a picture from my map! Not exactly a Cacoward, but I'll take it! I'm looking forward to checking out the winning level sets I have yet to play.

Really entertaining set of awards this year--probably the best ever in terms of the writing. The stuff about Ty was really stirring.

Wow, I just realized I have so long, maybe a year, since I last played some Doom user maps. I still have Doom in my PC, and might fire it up to check something on the original levels, but I missed so much. So many good looking maps in the awards and not only. I was busy with modern gaming and programming and watching youtube and all that. I missed a lot of good stuff because I didn't even checked what's new.

I am amazed so many good stuff every year are released. I'll have to allocate some weeks to play many of them. Doom will never die!

Congrats to all winners, writers, runners-up, mentions... so many great works this year! Must have been a though pick up. Or the opposite.

I still have to play a lot of the winners, even though I've played more Doom in the last year than in my first 6 years as a Doomer.

I still need to finish Going Down, which after 6 maps is a total blast and obviously well-deserving of its honors.

A special tip o' me 'at to cannonball, who made me die, die and die again in Thy Flesh Turned Into a Draft-Excluder, in the process proving that Ultimate Doom maps can be really fucking hard! But he made me like it. Enjoy the pelts, cb!

I feel a hankering to play Bloody Steel and The Adventures of Square.

And congrats to Chris Hansen for mention of his exceptional The Wailing Horde, another badass Ultimate Doom map. I have a special fondness for really cool Ultimate Doom maps, and Chris delivered.

Lots of great stuff last year, congrats to all the mappers and to the top-notch writing team who put it all together. Thanks!

Remember, the framing of the cacowards as people who "won" is a clever way to rub it in the face of people who didn't win, and the real purpose of the whole ceremony is to accentuate these losers, largely minorities and women, who each receive a demerit, or "doomerit" and did not make the cut for Schindler's list. Congratulations to all the doomerit winners!

(Sorry, trolling is just entertaining)

Monster Hunter Ltd. Part 2 was even more awesome than Part 1, which I've played earlier this year, but somehow missed Part 2. The Wailing Horde was also superb. I still can't get into Mayan Mishap, the DEHACKED and sprite work is 5/5, but the maps are balanced and play weird... Similarly to Plasmaplant, I also don't get its appeal. Shadows of Cronos looks pretty good, but Hexen maps just flow too slow and I couldn't accustomize to that, therefore I quitted soon. That's my thoughts about the winners which I've tried most recently. Oh and also 32in24-13 has some many awesome maps!

Congratulations to the winners of this year's Cacowards and happy 21st birthday to Doom.

"January 4th marked the 0 year anniversary of Urban Brawl: Dead of Winter?"

lol whut?

" Mordeth and Millennium were still not released in 2014 despite over sixteen years of development? "

This never gets old! :D

These cacowards where really entertaining read, thanks everyone for wirting them and also mappers for making the wads!