Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liam

The /newstuff Chronicles #82

Liam the Bard said:

Constructive criticism greatly appreciated.
On the cybers/spiders magikal, I'd think that when one is plowing one's way through an action packed, fast paced map filled with tactical and intense battles one wouldn't want to have to stop and circlestrafe around a cyberdemon for three, four, five minutes (although the big guns cyber battle was noticably shorter ;). Of course they're a 'fair challenge', but the amount of time it takes to sit around and beat one kind of drags out the map. But I suppose that could just be me. As for your last map, well, I found FOUR cyberdemons and a spidermind ALL huddled around the exit door. Don't take anything personally that you shouldn't, but I don't exactly call that 'sensible' placement.

Hey Liam,good points.The Cyber battle in Big Guns isn't really a battle is it? Beacause he can't hit you if you stand back.Yeah circle strafing those Cybers is definitely boring if you have anything less than the BFG.In Industrial you have it with plenty of ammo,the first 2 Cybers gone in 30 secs.As for the exit,yes 4 Cybers and 1 Spider,sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But look at the placement,no circle strafing for one.Total cover at the front wall.When you use the cover the Spider fights and kills at least one Cyber.The only difficult part is to time your run for the BFG ammo,once you do you're home and dry.This was the idea behind the ending of Industrial....to figure out HOW to dispatch those critters with the minimum of fuss and effort.If you go in guns blazing,you're dead.If you take a little time to think the situation through you then see how it can be done with relative ease.Take a look at at both lmps if you get the chance,Big Guns and Industrial at my page.Beware Industrial though 666kb unzipped and wait for it.....2hr24m12secs...and that's not slow btw,watch it with timedemo.
Never personal Liam,I admire your bottle for taking on the job and being open. I think the exchanges and opinions are well worthwhile:)

Archvile64 said:

Well all you people who are complaining about Liam's reviews...remember that that's exactly what these are supposed to be -- reviews. And reviews usually are supposed to be subjective. I'm not saying you shouldn't reply and say your opinion of the wads, that's what the forums are for, but don't jump on Liam for telling why/why not he liked/didn't like a certain wad.

No,reviews should be objective with touches of clearly stated subjective opinion.Subjective opinion without self-justification is prejudice.

I've not actually played it yet (I'm still very busy) but I had a quick look at it and Big Guns looks an awesome map. I've never seen a map that involves using rockets as the main weapon, using it on anything and everything. I'm sure it'll be class when I finally get round to playing it.

(by which time I should be a part of newstuff chronicles #83, as I hope to release my heretic wad by friday)

Fredrik said:

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems that no one cares about a crappy looking level even if it has wonderful gameplay.

Though I agree that a so-so looking map with kick-ass gameplay might be better than a kick-ass looking map with so-so gameplay. Depends on the case and of course what taste you have.

I think this gameplay/eye candy divide is simplistic.

IMO the best maps visually tend to have the CLEANEST overall appearance. They are uncomplicated, but very neat, kind of how you'd like your own house to look if it were tidy. And, bizarrely enough, it's often those same maps that afford great gameplay. Coincidence?

pritch said:

I think this gameplay/eye candy divide is simplistic.

IMO the best maps visually tend to have the CLEANEST overall appearance. They are uncomplicated, but very neat, kind of how you'd like your own house to look if it were tidy. And, bizarrely enough, it's often those same maps that afford great gameplay. Coincidence?

Heh, well...if you're good enough to make maps that look that nice, then you usually know what you're doing when it comes to gameplay.

I emphasise neatness over niceness. Nice implies eye candy, lots of statues etc. Neat just means consistently themed, sectors of equal length, walls consistently textured etc. etc. etc. No misalignments.

Axium: An uncluttered map makes for unfettered gameplay. :)

magikal said:
No,reviews should be objective with touches of clearly stated subjective opinion.Subjective opinion without self-justification is prejudice.

Review is perhaps the wrong word for this, it's a 3 line summary and verdict. For a brief thing like this you don't expect an exhaustively reasoned argument. How much weight you give it depends how much you find you agree with Liam's opinions.

It's always a tricky one as a reviewer deciding whether to stick your neck out for an unconventional level, so I understand Liam's dilemma on this particular one.