Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jon

Bare-metal Classic Doom

A team of students at Imperial College, London have "ported" Doom to the Raspberry Pi as part of a first year ARM project. The self-described port is a raw, bare-metal implementation of a Doom-like engine to the Pi hardware itself: not just to the Linux OS running on top of the Pi. The work consists of about 9,800 lines of ARM assembly. Their work includes a custom controller wired to the Pi's GPIO ports. The team have posted a video of their port on Youtube. The team say they are going to release the source code very soon.

Impressive, but could have done with a different E1M1 cover and without some of the high resolution textures.

Ha! DOOM itself as the OS and desktop -- just what I've always wanted! :D

Jerktime: I get bothered by how they're sorta presenting it as "it's Doom from 1993" when it isn't a port of the game in the slightest. It's super-cool for what it is, but it's as much a "replica" as my pecs are a replica of The Rock's.

Glaice said:

Impressive, but could have done with a different E1M1 cover and without some of the high resolution textures.

That's...not a cover.

Marnetmar said:

That's...not a cover.

Remake or whatever the word is. Can't be a soundfont, can it?

Judging from the level architecture I doubt this has much if anything in common with the Doom engine. "Doom" just seems to be short-hand for "2.5D engine" in a lot of people's minds, like this gem of a comment from the YouTube video: "Looks exactly like doom to me. Perhaps you aren't familiar with the original game?"

From their comments and the video it looks a like a ray caster with variable-height floors.

Still, writing this thing in bare-metal assembler in three weeks is impressive.