Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Ultra Nightmare Succumbs To Zero Master

Prior to Doom 2016's release, id Software warned players that no one in the studio had even come close to beating the game on its Ultra Nightmare mode, which adds a permadeath mechanic to the game's hardest difficulty. Enter reknowned Doom speedrunner Zero Master, known for his amazing Doom speedruns like Doom 2 in 19:59, not to mention Doom 2 in Nightmare difficulty in 23:06. He decided to take a crack at Ultra Nightmare and has quickly slain the beast(s), with a successful single-session run of around 4 hours, 45 minutes.

Remember that the original Doom's nightmare mode was added in a patch after players complained the game was too easy - maybe we might see an ultra ultra nightmare mode in the future?

I've often wondered how a speedrunning monster like Zero Master would hold up on the Doom multiplayer scene. What a beast

Definitely will have to watch this once YouTube hosts it in a format I can download since downloading 7GiB is insane. It would probably be processed by YouTube by tomorrow.

Ralphis said:

I've often wondered how a speedrunning monster like Zero Master would hold up on the Doom multiplayer scene. What a beast

Not too sure, games of Doom when it comes to monsters are not really that random but highly predictable, while good enemy players will be very random by switching up their routine rather than playing the same the entire game. Would likely make an excellent runner in CTF however because maximum speed must be obtained at all times.

However, once you play enough Nightmare and you are used to it, it just feels slow in a way like the normal game.

GhostlyDeath said:

games of Doom when it comes to monsters are not really that random but highly predictable

Eh, I dunno. If you watch his recent nightmare "blooper reel", you can see that he is consistently very good, but most of the time the monsters just don't behave nicely enough and so he dies "even though he did nothing wrong".

There is another precedent for adding a difficulty setting; when RAGE's DLC 'The Scorchers' was released it added 'Ultra Nightmare'.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that someone conquered it so quickly.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for DOOM to finish downloading... Yay crappy DSL connnectoins, I still have 6 GB to go.

Should be done in the morning. Hopefully.

Xtife said:

Seriously? how much more console-fied is this game?

i don't have it yet, but just watched a friend play who was also very skeptical because of "consolification" and much to our surprise it's fast, has accurate controls, the guy was amazed.

As much as people go on about consolfictation. I wonder if someone could make a joke source port for Doom featuring the worst minimalistic efforts ever seen when it comes to cross platform porting. I'd also want to see the polar opposite in the most convoluted of UI and features cramed into something just to laugh at our extreme bias towards our preferred ports. Please shut up about this crap. Consoles are not inherently good or evil, it's idiot developers who choose to take shortcuts or distract us from actually enjoying the game with features no end user could give a fuck about.

Back on Topic: I think it's impressive someone beat that difficulty. I'm having a hard time just playing hurt me plenty because I have a day job and no time to get very gud..