Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > New Doom 3 Shots (!!!)

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Linguica

In a rather unexpected move, Activision has released two new screenshots from Doom 3. Apparently they're from the Activision press event "Activate." I can't say that I was expecting any new media until maybe Quakecon 2002, but I doubt anyone is going to complain too loudly about free eyecandy. The pictures are nice and horribly large too, which might make for some nice wallpaper or Photoshopping, or whatever else you guys want to do with it. In any event, here you are.

What, are you looking for more info on this enormous event? Go check out the shots already.

Old Post 07-31-02 00:45 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

AAHhhhAHH :D

Old Post 07-31-02 01:00 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Holy ****, these shots look amazing. Just look at those reflections in the window and the marine's helmet... sweet.

Wait a minute though... isn't that scientist guy in the first screenshot John Carmack?! :)

EDIT: I'm 90% that it is JC. Check out the following photos (found via a Google search), and note that even the glasses appear to be the same. The third one is an especially good comparison, even though it's only b&w.

www.themushroom.com/screenshots/images/carmack.jpg
http://ivs.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~dumke/EAD/john.jpg
http://www.grospixels.com/site/imag...ana/carmack.jpg
http://www.shrikeforce.com/mugshots/johnc.jpg
http://www.techtv.com/graphics/libr...ck1.2327545.jpg

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Last edited by NiGHTMARE on 07-31-02 at 02:23

Old Post 07-31-02 01:08 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

The shadows are too "dark".

Old Post 07-31-02 01:20 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nxn
meephead

I don't like the outside landscape, and also I wish the shadows were softer and didn't end soo abruptly. Otherwise, it's great.

Old Post 07-31-02 02:04 #
nxn is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Diabolic Mind

The outside from the first picture looks better then any I've ever seen. Looks like mars this time... dedicate your time and you will learn what you need to, I have learned the wrong way.

Old Post 07-31-02 02:16 #
Diabolic Mind is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

wow. really cool shots

Old Post 07-31-02 02:36 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Adam Hegyi
Mini-Member

Ati released a new video showing off their Radeon 9700. It has some game developers including John Carmack talking about the card. It also has some DOOM3 footage, nothing new I'm guessing (haven't finished the d/l yet), but good resolution and framerate, so it could be worth checking out.

640x480:
http://mirror2.ati.com/multimedia/r...ials640x480.mpg

320x240:
http://mirror2.ati.com/multimedia/r...ials320x240.mpg

EDIT: I watched the video. It has the 'bathroom scene' and the 'demon around fire' scene, nothing new, still worth checking out if you haven't seen them in good quality. Also if you're interested in the card itself.

Last edited by Adam Hegyi on 07-31-02 at 03:15

Old Post 07-31-02 02:54 #
Adam Hegyi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
KinkaJoy

Holy crap those are cool screenshots.

You people whine too much!

Old Post 07-31-02 02:56 #
KinkaJoy is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

There is indeed some D3 footage in the video Adam mentioned, but afaik it has all been shown before in previous videos (including the "illegal" one).

However, there is something that may be relevant; during John Carmack's interview in the video, there is what looks like a mutated Arch-Vile or something in the background...

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 07-31-02 03:16 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

awesome shots, the models look very amazing. i wonder how many can be on sceen at once ;P

Old Post 07-31-02 05:53 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Man, I'll never get a good enough computer for this damned game. And I'm pretty sure that is Carmack.

Old Post 07-31-02 09:21 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

They got rid of all the cyan.

Old Post 07-31-02 09:31 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord FlatHead
man overboard

The pictures are nice and horribly large too, which might make for some nice wallpaper or Photoshopping, or whatever else you guys want to do with it.

http://www.doomworld.com/lordflathead/storage/desktop.jpg

Old Post 07-31-02 11:07 #
Lord FlatHead is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fen boi

Use3D said:
awesome shots, the models look very amazing. i wonder how many can be on sceen at once ;P

I'm sure I read somewhere that around 8 of the smaller enemies (zombies etc) could be present at any time, less for the more complex models (and it's going to depend on the quality of the scenery).

If you saw the leaked video the section with the most zombies wasn't very open (lots of pillars etc blocking the view) whereas near the complex machinery only one zombie attacks at a time. I dont expect the monster AI to be deciding factor in the enemy count :)

Old Post 07-31-02 11:15 #
fen boi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geekmarine

Wow, those are the most impressive Doom screenshots I've seen yet, especially since there're actually COLORFUL. LOL, that weird scientist DOES look like John Carmack, although in all fairness he also looks like Deiter from "Sprockets" on Saturday Night Live. Whoever he is, he looks pretty funny, though that guy with the helmet is sweet.

Old Post 07-31-02 12:19 #
geekmarine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cranium
SUPER-SVERRE

>>Wait a minute though... isn't that scientist guy in the first screenshot John Carmack?! :)<<
LOL, I think you might be on to something! :D

>>The shadows are too "dark".<<
Infidel! That's what the game is about, reclaiming true dynamic black. There can be no fear without it. Of course there'll be some jagged edges here & there with the new lighting system, but they tend to stand out more in screenshots anyway. Once it's in motion I'm convinced it will all be liquid.

>>awesome shots, the models look very amazing. i wonder how many can be on sceen at once ;P<<
One of many million dollar DooM III questions! :D

Old Post 07-31-02 13:31 #
Cranium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ReX

NiGHTMARE said:
Just look at those reflections in the window and the marine's helmet... sweet.
The reflection on the marine's goggles was one of the first details that I noticed. Amazing! We'd expect nothing less from id.

Old Post 07-31-02 13:50 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Arno

orion said:
I wish the shadows were softer and didn't end soo abruptly.

The shadow from the scientist is so black because of the intensity of the sunlight. The marine in the corner casts a much softer shadow on the wall because of the less intense indoor lights.

The screenshots are again awesome, btw. id is the best.

Old Post 07-31-02 18:50 #
Arno is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nxn
meephead

yes I know that, but what I meant is for the edges to be blurred and Look like real shadows and not just outlines of the character/object.

Old Post 08-01-02 02:07 #
nxn is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
KoolKat
Meow

//Me looks at my 166mHz computer, shakes my head and starts counting my money. Me cries.

Old Post 08-01-02 12:37 #
KoolKat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote