Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Evil Purple Glow

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mewse
aahahhh

Ahh, nostalgia time. John Romero has updated his webpage with another picture from the early days of Doom development. This new image features a not-completely-bald version of Tom Hall, working with DoomEd on a NeXT machine. Tom Hall looks very happy to be having his picture taken. C'mon, click it! It's Tom Hall damnit.

Old Post 08-26-02 05:38 #
mewse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

http://www.doomworld.com/insanity/images/doomed93.jpg

Heh, what do you think this is?

Old Post 08-26-02 06:53 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

haylo

Old Post 08-26-02 14:57 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Zaldron said:
http://www.doomworld.com/insanity/images/doomed93.jpg

Heh, what do you think this is?

NeXTStep? Or do you mean the level? I really dont think we can work out what level it is from the screenshot..

Old Post 08-26-02 14:59 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

The level. I think it's E1M9.

Old Post 08-26-02 17:28 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

Zaldron said:
The level. I think it's E1M9.
Why?

Old Post 08-26-02 17:48 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

I couldn't tell, actually. The overall shape reminds me of that level. All square/rectangular. Still, that's probably more related to the fact that this is an "early" shot. I guess id was still working in wolfenstein mode.

Last edited by Zaldron on 08-26-02 at 22:05

Old Post 08-26-02 18:12 #
Erik

interesting, damn I cant figure out which level it is

Old Post 08-26-02 20:53 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

I doubt it's a finished map. But that wall with two polygonal ends reminds me of a wall section in e2m7, after you leave the yellow key room, in the hall, near the yellow door, although in e2m7 this wall has only one polygonal-shaped end, while the other merges with a perpendicular wall. Note that e2m7 was mainly designed by Tom, and is one of the earlier maps (the 1st map in one of the more advanced DOOM alphas.) As for e1m9, that's a Romero.

I remember one of the earliest alphas (that crashes a lot) has a map that is a rough, short, and irregular maze; probably a test to see what could be done with the new engine. It has a few steps too, to show height changes...

Last edited by myk on 08-28-02 at 13:58

Old Post 08-28-02 13:51 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote