Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > Bugger This

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cyb

Over at Doom2 dot net the Doom Research pages have been updated with two new bugs. Both are pretty cool, though I had a bit of trouble getting them to work with prBoom (I'll have to try doom2.exe in a bit). First is the sergeant in Map02 that is 'sleeping' and next is a fun deathmatch error where the engine disallows spawning in the DM starts and when it tries to spawn the player in a SP start that doesn't exist, they player spawns as a corpse that can run around and open doors, but not do anything else. The bugs in the Doom engine have to be the most fun ever.

Old Post 08-28-02 04:12 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

i found an unusaul bug...

In DSV4 when i killed a lost soul, it's death animation got cought through the double doors. Resulting as a flying blood corpse.

Old Post 08-28-02 05:02 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Linguica

RailGunner said:
i found an unusaul bug...

In DSV4 when i killed a lost soul, it's death animation got cought through the double doors. Resulting as a flying blood corpse.

I'd like to see a demo of that...

Old Post 08-28-02 05:05 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

Sure. I encountered this in eternity.

Old Post 08-28-02 05:09 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cph

Cyb said:
Both are pretty cool, though I had a bit of trouble getting them to work with prBoom

The blind sergeant is a low-level bug which there is no compatibility toggle for, it's only normally enabled in demos. But if you load PrBoom with -complevel 0 you should see it.

The running body demo causes memory corruption so it's not supported by PrBoom.

Old Post 08-28-02 09:06 #
cph is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Neat stuff...

Talking about bugs, what is an R_MapPlane error? Doom crashes like in a VPO, albeit it seems a bit more severe, as it rebooted and often froze Win98. I triggered it again after booting to DOS and on occasion it still froze the OS. It happens jumping down a huge, and quite deep, chasm (in apocalyp.wad e1m9; an old WAD found in the idgames Archive.)

Old Post 08-28-02 12:54 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Myk: I think it's when a sector is more than 1024 high, but I could very well be wrong.

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 08-28-02 14:05 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

I encountered an unusual bug yesterday playing No Hope For Life's E1M8. I killed a Demon, and the Demon's corpse kept sliding across the floor. I was like "WTF?!" Of course, it may have been ZDoom's fault as well...

Old Post 08-28-02 14:47 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

Both these bugs are old.

Very nice to have them thoroughly explained though.

Old Post 08-28-02 15:40 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Epyo
Dude

DooMBoy said:
I encountered an unusual bug yesterday playing No Hope For Life's E1M8. I killed a Demon, and the Demon's corpse kept sliding across the floor. I was like "WTF?!" Of course, it may have been ZDoom's fault as well...

That usually happens on stairs. In fact, when i was playing dissoloution, there was a step on both sides of the caco i just killed, so he was sliding back and forth for a while. It seemed like it was posessed by some higher cacodemon god who didnt want to let it die.

Old Post 08-28-02 16:36 #
Epyo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

DooMBoy said:
That's ZDoom's fault. I think it has new improved MBF-style physics code or something.

Old Post 08-28-02 16:38 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vorpal

Of course they're old, this is doom ;)
I remember getting the running corpse bug in Evolution, map05 in coop with 2 friends.

Old Post 08-28-02 16:41 #
Vorpal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

DooMBoy said:

Yup, as said - Zdoom, and for the best example of it play Doom2, Map22, go into the final room and kill the chaingun guys and watch their bodies and dropped weapons bounce up and down the stairs for as long as you want. (This happens in 1.23 b33, dunno about other versions.)

Old Post 08-28-02 20:52 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

In skull tag when you kill somebody on a trapoline (training level i think) the dead body bounces.

Old Post 08-28-02 21:38 #
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

RailGunner said:
In skull tag when you kill somebody on a trapoline (training level i think) the dead body bounces.

Yes and indeed that wouldn't happen in real life.. still its only a game eh

Old Post 08-29-02 10:45 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

myk said:
Neat stuff...

Talking about bugs, what is an R_MapPlane error? Doom crashes like in a VPO, albeit it seems a bit more severe, as it rebooted and often froze Win98. I triggered it again after booting to DOS and on occasion it still froze the OS. It happens jumping down a huge, and quite deep, chasm (in apocalyp.wad e1m9; an old WAD found in the idgames Archive.)

This also happened to me using Zdoom v. 1.22 . Cool wad btw.

Old Post 08-29-02 11:13 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Duker900
You don't see me

Ah the walking body bug, I recall reciving a demo of it from someone who encountered it... I don't remember who sent it however, but it's interesting to know how everything works with thoose bugs anyway.

Old Post 08-29-02 12:05 #
Duker900 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

The bugs in the Doom engine have to be the most fun ever.
The Visplane Overflow is the best, ever! :D

Old Post 08-29-02 16:43 #
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Little Faith said:

This also happened to me using Zdoom v. 1.22 .

Yeah, it was quite easy to make it happen in Zdoom 1.22. Make a very tall platform, type idclip and walk up to the platform. Chances are you'd get a crash. Hasn't happened to me in the newest version, and I have tried.

Old Post 08-29-02 19:46 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

The platform with the soul sphere in Doom 2 MAP29 is a fine place for testing. I've had ZDoom go down something like 3 times when IDCLIP-ing that one.

Old Post 08-29-02 19:55 #