Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Eternity > bugfix

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:26. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Anders
No one knows I'm schepe

Quasar, i decided to have a look at that bug we talked about.

After lots of tracking and comparing with linux doom's sources i found the cause, and a possible solution.

this is the code in G_DoLoadLevel() that makes sure the player get a fresh (ie. pistol, 100% health) start if he enters the level dead.
code:
for(i = 0; i < MAXPLAYERS; i++) { if(playeringame[i] && players[i].playerstate == PST_DEAD) players[i].playerstate = PST_REBORN; memset(players[i].frags, 0, sizeof(players[i].frags)); }

this doesn't work in eternity, because it calls P_SetupLevel() BEFORE this code, while linux doom calls P_SetupLevel() AFTER this code.

P_SetupLevel() calls P_SpawnPlayer() which does this:
code:
if(p->playerstate == PST_REBORN) G_PlayerReborn(mthing->type - 1);

but in eternity playerstate will be PST_DEAD when it enters P_SpawnPlayer and thus the player isn't given the pistol and health.

further down in P_SpawnPlayer():
code:
p->playerstate = PST_LIVE;

So, the playerstate will just be set from PST_DEAD to PST_LIVE without the player being given the pistol and health.

The obvious solution is to move the call to P_SetupLevel (in G_DoLoadLevel() ) so it'll get called after the code above, or will that that cause other problems?

I tried this, and the testdemo i had erik make worked fine.

Last edited by Anders on 12-27-03 at 07:26

Old Post 12-27-03 02:54 #
Anders is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote