Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Eternity > A Few Basic Questions

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:19. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

This is a cool port. I'm learning how to edit for it. There are cool things that I want to do with it. I probably won't ever do anything with it, because instead of actually ever making maps I waste all of my time learning about engine quirks and capabilities. I have a few questions.

The documentation in the starter kit is out of date - what in the blazes is the function of the "attach" linedef actions: 379-384?

I'm under the impression that the parameterized linedef actions can't be directly used in the linedef's "linedef action" field. Rather, if you want to use one of these actions, you must give the line the "extradata control linedef" action (270) and then assign it the parameterized action with extradata. Is this correct?

Finally, this question is completely unrelated, but I don't want to start another thread and if you know one of the above answers you might know this one too. Does the "tinttab" lump in heretic.wad have a purpose?

Old Post 12-29-08 22:34 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Creaphis said:
This is a cool port. I'm learning how to edit for it. There are cool things that I want to do with it. I probably won't ever do anything with it, because instead of actually ever making maps I waste all of my time learning about engine quirks and capabilities. I have a few questions.

Cool!

The documentation in the starter kit is out of date - what in the blazes is the function of the "attach" linedef actions: 379-384?

These are to attach the movement of sectors' floors and ceilings to other sectors' floors and ceilings, in order to create setups such as multi-sector lifts and doors that will stay in one piece even if one sector is blocked by the player or something else. You set one sector's floor or ceiling (or both) as the control, then attach all the other sectors' floors or ceilings to it by putting the appropriate Attach lines on a linedef that faces each of them. There are also lines that attach inverted movement to them, so that you could have, for example, a door which closes in the middle and has its floor open downwards and its ceiling open upwards.

I'm under the impression that the parameterized linedef actions can't be directly used in the linedef's "linedef action" field. Rather, if you want to use one of these actions, you must give the line the "extradata control linedef" action (270) and then assign it the parameterized action with extradata. Is this correct?

That is correct, though if I remember correctly Quasar changed it a while back so that all the parameterized lines are functionally the same as using action 270, as those line actions always have to use ExtraData to set their parameters anyway.

Finally, this question is completely unrelated, but I don't want to start another thread and if you know one of the above answers you might know this one too. Does the "tinttab" lump in heretic.wad have a purpose?

I believe it's for translucency, similar to Boom's tranmap lumps.

Old Post 12-29-08 22:42 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

Thanks!

esselfortium said:
I believe it's for translucency, similar to Boom's tranmap lumps.

Ah, I see. I've never messed with custom transmaps either so I wouldn't know one if I saw one. I'm willing to leave transparency the way it is.

I asked because it looks like two intertwined colormaps, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to replace the colormap without messing with this weird lump as well.

Old Post 12-29-08 23:48 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

What essel meant in that kind of vague explanation above is that line type 270 is now technically obsolete. That is, you can now simply put the line special number into the linedef itself in the map editor. The arguments to the special still have to be provided in an ExtraData record, however, to which the line must still be tagged as it would have been using 270. There's very little practical difference, but the change was made in hopes of having EE be supported by "polyobject-aware" nodebuilders.

Now EE doesn't even need polyobject-aware nodebuilders due to Dynasegs, so that's no longer an issue ;)

Old Post 01-04-09 03:04 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote