Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Eternity > Eternity Engine 3.37.00 "Sekhmet"

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Quasar

Happy New Years!

Get the newest version of the Eternity Engine here:

Win32 Version - Recommended for users of Win9x - WinXP.
Win32 "Plus" - Recommended for users of Windows Vista or higher.
Source code - For programmer-types
Extra EDFs - In case you need them.
Text File - Read it or suffer ;)

Sorry Linux users, no binary distribution for you ;) Check out the 3.37.00 tag from the usual location if you want to build it.

Old Post 01-01-10 08:36 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Awesome!

Now people can use widescreen, high resolutions, slopes, sprite scaling, and whatever other cool stuff I've probably forgotten about, without me having to tell them to grab an SVN. :P

Old Post 01-01-10 08:38 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

already built, and yes it's awesome. Of course I know this since I've been testing it since forever :v

Old Post 01-01-10 08:39 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Great news.

code:
- Mapping - * SLOPES! * New ACS Line Specials: Floor_Waggle Thing_Spawn Thing_SpawnNoFog Teleport_EndGame

How exactly do I add ACS to my Eternity map? It's of Doom format with EXTRADATA.

Old Post 01-01-10 10:40 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

What's the difference between the two Win32 versions?

Old Post 01-01-10 11:13 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Csonicgo

the "plus" version is compiled using a newer compiler. From my experience, it is also faster. It might be placebo effect, though. but playing on NUTS.wad with no slowdown is amazing.

Old Post 01-01-10 11:16 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Graf Zahl

Csonicgo said:
the "plus" version is compiled using a newer compiler. From my experience, it is also faster. It might be placebo effect, though. but playing on NUTS.wad with no slowdown is amazing.

Ok, but why does it exclude XP then? That shouldn't be necessary if it's only the compiler itself.

Old Post 01-01-10 11:20 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

Some XP boxes will not run programs compiled with Visual Studio 2008, particularly ones lacking an up-to-date .NET installation. You can run the "plus" package on XP, and probably on Win2k also. The end user accepts all responsibility for making sure their system is up-to-date if they try this; I will absolutely not provide support for it :)

It absolutely will not run on anything earlier than 2k, however. 2008 executables call system functions that do not exist on anything prior to that, and have the WINVER set to 5 in the PE header to enforce it.

Old Post 01-01-10 11:28 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Graf Zahl

Quasar said:
Some XP boxes will not run programs compiled with Visual Studio 2008, particularly ones lacking an up-to-date .NET installation.

That's news to me. For managed code, yes, obviously, but does straight machine code even once call into the .NET runtime?

I think if you link statically to the C runtime library this issue will go away. From the looks of it this is the only piece of code that might impose such a restriction.

I've been running VS2008 compiled code on an XP installation that hasn't been updated for 3 years now without any problems.

Old Post 01-01-10 11:49 #
boris
meow

The Plus version runs fine on my XP box. Changing the screen mode (manually entering the resolution) is a bit fail, though. Or is there some menu with the available resolutions?

Old Post 01-01-10 13:57 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

The resolution menu was taken out when higher resolutions and widescreen were added; the new system seems to be a love/hate thing. Personally I think it's fine. :\

Old Post 01-01-10 17:05 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

It does allow some funny stuff...

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1908/etrn07.th.png

That's Doom 2 map02...

Old Post 01-01-10 17:38 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

esselfortium said:
Personally I think it's fine. :\

Quoted'd

Old Post 01-01-10 17:57 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

boris said:
Changing the screen mode (manually entering the resolution) is a bit fail, though.

Yes, agreed. There should definitely be a menu for selecting them. There's no reason to prevent custom resolutions from being entered, but that shouldn't be required for a commonly supported resolution.

Old Post 01-01-10 19:54 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

I'm still thinking about ideas on how to provide a list of commonly used resolutions in addition to the geom string setting ;)

Old Post 01-01-10 23:39 #
ducon
Régulier du Forum

Please update the website, the download links are old there.

Old Post 02-25-10 13:00 #
ducon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Looks like there's no more Small compiler to be downloaded for 3.37.00 to handle the new action functions such as _Light_Fade. While it may be deprecated and unfunctional for 64bit systems, I'm still using it to design and test my maps the way I intend, until an alternative comes.

Old Post 08-15-10 21:28 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

printz said:
Looks like there's no more Small compiler to be downloaded for 3.37.00 to handle the new action functions such as _Light_Fade. While it may be deprecated and unfunctional for 64bit systems, I'm still using it to design and test my maps the way I intend, until an alternative comes.

It hasn't changed. The last one available is still up on mancunet in the root eternity folder.

Old Post 08-16-10 02:52 #
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

The 3.35.90 one supports the _Light_* or _Thing_* special-calling functions that weren't available before?

Old Post 08-16-10 11:13 #
Quasar

printz said:
The 3.35.90 one supports the _Light_* or _Thing_* special-calling functions that weren't available before?

The compiler does not have to be modified to support new native functions. They just have to be added to the proper specials header file. Did I forget to ever add them?

Old Post 08-16-10 16:56 #