Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Eternity > Heretic GHOST translucency has priority over "translucency" field

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

As in thread title, the fixed alpha set up by the GHOST flag ignores any custom value you may give to the translucency field in the thingtype block.

Shouldn't the translucency field have priority over GHOST, just like how it has over TRANSLUCENT?

Old Post 08-09-10 21:24 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

printz said:
As in thread title, the fixed alpha set up by the GHOST flag ignores any custom value you may give to the translucency field in the thingtype block.

Shouldn't the translucency field have priority over GHOST, just like how it has over TRANSLUCENT?

Probably so. It would make more sense. Problem is, has anybody relied on this in a mod yet? I doubt it but it's hard to know :P

Old Post 08-10-10 03:40 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

The idea that some people would give an alpha value to something just so that it's not used because of a flag seems a bit odd to me.

Old Post 08-10-10 08:47 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Gez said:
The idea that some people would give an alpha value to something just so that it's not used because of a flag seems a bit odd to me.
The intention was to make "ghost" monsters whose translucency is stronger than what they offer by default, while also benefitting from the enemy inaccuracy. I think the only flags that make other monsters inaccurate are SHADOW and GHOST, and both have additional effects that override the intended alpha value

Old Post 08-10-10 09:04 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

I was commenting on Quasar's reservation that the current behavior may be relied upon by some mod.

I suppose it might be possible there's a special effect achievable by adding and removing the GHOST flag, but it really seems unlikely to have been used.

Plus, there aren't that many released Eternity mods compatible with the current codebase (I know of only two: Kerker and OPF), all others are work-in-progress projects so they could adapt to a change if they really need it.

Old Post 08-10-10 09:11 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl

Gez said:

Plus, there aren't that many released Eternity mods compatible with the current codebase (I know of only two: Kerker and OPF), all others are work-in-progress projects so they could adapt to a change if they really need it.

That alone should be reason enough to change it to make it consistent. If there were hundreds of mods out there that depended on it it'd be different.

Old Post 08-10-10 10:44 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote