Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Eternity > Is it possible to configure EE to use Timidity?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:21. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

I'm tired of playing without music due to the Vista/Win7 midi volume issue. I vaguely remember a thread a while back on getting PrBoom to use Timidity; is there a way I can get Eternity to do the same, or would support have to be coded into EE specifically for it?

Old Post 06-18-12 06:54 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Interesting thread. I hope Timidity fares better than SDL_mixer (ouch) at being cross platform too, so I don't have to find ways to fix it myself :)

Old Post 06-18-12 07:57 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

If EE uses the system MIDI synth, then you can replace it with another (TiMidity++ Windows Synth, BASS MIDI, etc.). Or you can use something like MIDI Yoke or LoopBe1 to redirect MIDI stuff to use any synth as the system synth.

If support is added at the code level, FluidSynth is an option to consider, too. PrBoom+ and ZDoom already propose it, to say nothing of Doom64 EX or even SLADE 3.

Old Post 06-18-12 10:51 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

I tried Timidity++ as a system synth not long after posting this thread, and disappointingly found it to cause more problems than it fixed... actually, it didn't seem to fix any problems at all, and just made matters worse :P

Even following the instructions and config parameter stuff from the tutorial on DW, I couldn't get its volume changed from the standard level, so that was no improvement from the Windows MIDI playback. Beyond that, I had to turn up the latency pretty high to get rid of audible crackling, and -- the deal killer -- every Doom midi it played somehow ended up with entire instrument tracks being transposed a note or two, thus turning the songs into horrible discord.

I might try BASS MIDI sometime, thanks for that.

Old Post 06-20-12 15:58 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

EE will be adding FluidSynth once any of us figure out how to compile it along with its 800000 dependencies.

Old Post 06-20-12 17:14 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

\o/

Old Post 06-20-12 17:34 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Quasar said:
EE will be adding FluidSynth once any of us figure out how to compile it along with its 800000 dependencies.

Do you want it statically linked to EE, or dynamically linked like everything else? Because in the dynamic option, you can merely use precompiled libs and dlls.

I've had to build FluidSynth to build SLADE and it's not that hard.

Old Post 06-20-12 19:21 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Quasar said:
May this solve the OS X midi no-loop issue too?

Old Post 06-20-12 19:23 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

printz said:
May this solve the OS X midi no-loop issue too?

Definitely. I can't imagine that, from what I've heard of it on Windows, Mac's QuickTime-based MIDI is even good to listen to 90% of the time so adding a workaround for it is a waste of time IMO.

Old Post 06-21-12 18:41 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium

Quasar said:

Definitely. I can't imagine that, from what I've heard of it on Windows, Mac's QuickTime-based MIDI is even good to listen to 90% of the time so adding a workaround for it is a waste of time IMO.

It has some trouble with certain complex midis, but it sounds about the same as or better than the Windows MIDI synth on any of the Doom IWAD tracks, and most others in my experience.

Old Post 06-21-12 18:57 #
Csonicgo

esselfortium said:

It has some trouble with certain complex midis, but it sounds about the same as or better than the Windows MIDI synth on any of the Doom IWAD tracks, and most others in my experience.

It breaks on program changes, which makes the first note of many midi files the wrong instrument. pitch shifting is also wonked. Directmusic didn't have any of these problems.

Old Post 07-14-12 02:15 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Csonicgo said:

It breaks on program changes, which makes the first note of many midi files the wrong instrument. pitch shifting is also wonked. Directmusic didn't have any of these problems.

You're talking about QuickTime or FluidSynth?

Old Post 07-14-12 08:14 #
Csonicgo

printz said:
You're talking about QuickTime or FluidSynth?

Quicktime. FluidSynth has problems with some SF2s that aren't "vanilla".

Old Post 07-18-12 14:16 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Holering

Did you try midiyoke with timidity In Windows? I tried it with other midi games and worked fine. Haven't tested eternity this way since I have it only on Linux.

Last edited by Holering on 04-02-13 at 10:05

Old Post 04-01-13 02:50 #
Holering is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote