Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Eternity > How do portals work "under the hood"?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

I'm curious, how many changed needed to be made to the world renderer in order to achieve this, and what kind of changes were they?

Old Post 09-21-12 03:11 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Quasar

Sodaholic said:
I'm curious, how many changed needed to be made to the world renderer in order to achieve this, and what kind of changes were they?

SoM would be better qualified to answer than I am, but some key components required were the following:

• Ability to clip segs and visplanes against arbitrary clip buffers and not just the single clip buffer used by the normal engine.
  • Various changes to seg clipping itself algorithm-wise, particularly having something to do with the ability to draw past lower or upper textures that DOOM normally would use to stop the rendering process.
  • A stack for masked drawing rather than a single pool of masked entities (sprites and 2S line fragments).

There's a lot more to it. But again, I didn't write it so I'm foggy on the heavy technical details.

Old Post 09-27-12 02:06 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote