Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Eternity > Texture filitering

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:10. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Yhe1
Warming Up

Hello, does the eternity engine support Trilinear on the texture filter? If so, where do I set it? Thanks!

Old Post 09-22-12 03:24 #
Yhe1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

I'm pretty certain that it doesn't. They've also said that they have no plans to support OpenGL either, so that's not much of an option for using texture filtering.

EDIT: Disregard the above. I just found out that you can turn on an OpenGL backend and you can select linear filtering, which appears to be on by default.

Last edited by Sodaholic on 09-23-12 at 07:15

Old Post 09-23-12 05:26 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Yhe1
Warming Up

So there's no plan to support Trilinear filtering? Is there other way to get rid of the pixels then? Thanks

Old Post 09-23-12 08:25 #
Yhe1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Sodaholic said:
I'm pretty certain that it doesn't. They've also said that they have no plans to support OpenGL either, so that's not much of an option for using texture filtering.

EDIT: Disregard the above. I just found out that you can turn on an OpenGL backend and you can select linear filtering, which appears to be on by default.

No, the GL backend is like ZDoom's DirectX backend: it's still using the software renderer, just drawing it to a large hardware-accelerated surface to get around SDL's crappy drawing code.

Yhe1 said:
So there's no plan to support Trilinear filtering? Is there other way to get rid of the pixels then? Thanks

Smearing vaseline across your display might help.

Old Post 09-23-12 08:42 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

Until I add the ability to scale up/down the screen in the hardware backend, the filtering you choose won't currently have an effect and is only there for selectability in case of, ex, driver-specific issues with EE's approach. Now, once I de-wed the scaling from the framebuffer size, you could, for example, scale up a smaller screen and then the filtering will kick in, smoothing the pixels in the manner directed.

Will the results look good? No idea.

BTW it's important for me to reiterate once again that the GL 2D-in-3D backend is *NOT* a hardware renderer in the sense of most ports. It's closer to what ZDoom does when you tell it to use Direct3D - it renders the game into a texture and then pastes that texture to a fullscreen quad. This is using OpenGL as a context for display of two-dimensional graphics, in the same way as many console games such as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Old Post 09-27-12 02:11 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote