Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lamefun

Are there any Eternity engine tutorials?

I want to add hires sprites, cutscenes, dialogs, custom monsters with advanced behaviors, etc. Essentially what ZDoom modders do, but without requiring any proprietary software (ZDoom needs fmod). I only found reference documentation.

Odamex is ZDoom based and is 100% free software, though the feature set is limited to zdoom 1.22/1.23.

There is a project underway to add support for openal in gzdoom found at https://github.com/kcat/zdoom/tree/glal. However, it hasn't been committed into the main (g)zdoom trunk yet, and atm there is no moment to disable the non-free software renderer.

However, I am not saying to not use the Eternity Engine. If that is what you want to use, more power to ya. I'm just saying that you can still use some zdoom features without using nonfree stuff.

Also, have you considered using 3dge?

Danfun64 said:

Odamex is ZDoom based and is 100% free software, though the feature set is limited to zdoom 1.22/1.23.

There is a project underway to add support for openal in gzdoom found at https://github.com/kcat/zdoom/tree/glal. However, it hasn't been committed into the main (g)zdoom trunk yet, and atm there is no moment to disable the non-free software renderer.

However, I am not saying to not use the Eternity Engine. If that is what you want to use, more power to ya. I'm just saying that you can still use some zdoom features without using nonfree stuff.

Also, have you considered using 3dge?

So you're not saying not to use eternity engine, but you're clearly making a case as to why he should use every port first. Isn't that the same thing ? >_>

Anyhow there's the Eternity Engine Wiki : http://eternity.youfailit.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
bit dated in some places but a good reference

Also come to #noteternityenginerelated on OFTC.net if you have any specific questions, because some things are just under documented :V We'll answer your questions the best we can

MP2E said:

So you're not saying not to use eternity engine, but you're clearly making a case as to why he should use every port first. Isn't that the same thing ? >_>

You say that, yet you ask lamefun to go on an irc channel named #noteternityenginerelated about eternity engine help xD.

Just because I list alternatives doesn't mean they are viable. Odamex doesn't support decorate, and the glal project is still a fork, so I doubt lamefun would use either of those.

It was late at night when I typed my original message. For some reason I didn't notice "hires sprites" and "custom monsters with advanced behaviors" when I first made my post.

So basically lamefun's only real options for "custom monsters with advanced behaviors" are 3dge and the Eternity Engine.

...at least I am wide awake now ;)