starwars

starwars  

23 members have voted

1. 1. starwars

• like it, first 3
    • like it, last 2
    • dont like any of it
    • like both sets

Lucas should have done E1,2 &3 in the same style as teh first ones. They would rock then.

Piss on CGI. Go back with filming old toys and foam lasers, and REAL actors. :)

/me shits

With a 10k budget, you could actually get more than your money's worth.

Anybody who could possibly say with a straight face that they like Ewoks but hate Gungans are being enormously hypocritical. Lucas did a decent job with E4, farmed out E5 particularly well, but a hefty portion of E6 (about a similar amount, proportionally, to the massive annoyances that the gungans are in E1) are complete SHITE.

Speaking of explaining how shit works, particularly in Star Trek for example ... they've had hours upon hours upon hours upon hours of television shows and hundreds of books to explain how their universe's physics work--and about 90% of it is hardly convincing, plus they change something every other friggin' episode. Making up new shit as they go along that only sometimes make sense with respect to the older shit hardly qualifies as good "science" fiction. For example, how exactly do they measure warp speeds again? I like some of the Star Trek movies and all (just bought the TNG movie DVD set and Wrath of Khan last month) but your reasoning just plain sucks.

But even so, there is a lot of more-or-less official (i.e. Lucasfilms-approved) material that explain how certain things in Star Wars work. Just because comparatively little of that has been put on TV or in films doesn't mean they don't exist. There are 5 movies so far in Star Wars, while there are 9 released movies in Star Trek, and a far larger quantity of television shows, novels, etc.

I'm not obsessed with Star Wars enough to add constructively to this arguement.

I will say this: CGI effects have no "soul". I don't know a better way to describe it, other than that I can always recognize CGI because it lacks... something to make it seem truely "real".

IMJack said:

I will say this: CGI effects have no "soul". I don't know a better way to describe it, other than that I can always recognize CGI because it lacks... something to make it seem truely "real".

I think the thing that gives it away is the fact that everything CGI, no matter how many polygons or bumpmaps, just looks like a reflective blob.

Star Wars has tons of stuff to explain how everything works. Go buy The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels and The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology.

And on another note, I would like to decribe the prequels as computer-generated movies featuring... REAL people! Hell, in ep2, the footprints in the desert sand are computer generated! Look closely! It's sickening!

FlatHead said:
I am proud to say I have never seen a Star Wars movie.

Look who's going to discover the wheel next year.

Good or Bad, the movies lead to Good Games, and that's what I like SW most for.

Other than that, I mainly like Star Wars for the Lightsaber fights. The introduction of the Sith Saber and the frequent use of the Force make Episode 1 my favourite.

Arioch said:

Anybody who could possibly say with a straight face that they like Ewoks but hate Gungans are being enormously hypocritical.

ewoks

don't

talk

Linguica said:

ewoks

don't

talk

that's right. If you had to choose which one of these races got sent to a firing squad i'd pick the gungans over the ewoks. Besides when i first saw ROTJ i was little and i thought the ewoks were cute. Gungans are just fucking stupid.

Designwise the gungans are a rip of Larry Elmore's Snarf (the protagonist of a comic strip that appeared in Dragon Magazine during the 80s.)

I don´t like any of the Starwars films. But here is a link to a free ATAT card model:

http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~shun-pop/gallery3/AT-AT/gallery3-8.html
Warning! Japanese page ahead!

If you want more of such, tell me.

Can be done in some hours and does not need a full colour ink cartridge :D

My favourite Science fiction film is "Moontrap". Anyone seen? Kind of strange film.