Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

TeamKill said:

I didn't know phones could check out webpages.

I said via a mobile phone; i.e. notebook computer + mobile.

TeamKill said:

My question is, can a PDA like a Palm Pilot connect to webpages?

I can connect to the Internet using my Psion 5 and my mobile phone, but the browser is pretty limited. It can handle plain HTML, but not much more. More modern PDAs can presumably support more features.

TeamKill said:

My question is, can a PDA like a Palm Pilot connect to webpages?

A PDA like a Palm Pilot can connect to a modem.

Assmaster said:

While we're on the subject, where's a good place to upload my custom avatar?

You should be able to upload avatars directly to DW now.

Quick sanity check for those of you on very slow connections (or, like me, who are simply very impatient): You do know you can turn off display of avatars (and sigs, and images) in the user profile options? Obviously you have to be logged in for this to work.

PS Apologies to those of you who spent ages making avatars, I mean no disrespect to your artistic endeavours. Besides if someone's on about their nice new avatar you can always get their user profile.

Edit: I'm dumb.

Besides, I have a high resolution and can see the avatars fine. As for the suggestion for 50x50 with auto resize, just use PhotoShop. If you don't have that, MS Paint does resizes. =P

Nanami said:

Remember, every extra row of pixels is a whole heap of bytes to load every time you browse the forums. 36x36 is a minimum 1296 bytes, and you KNOW almost all of them are like ten times that, especially if animated. 50x50 would be a minimum 2500 bytes, or more realistically, something like 25,000.

Besides, I have a high resolution and can see the avatars fine. As for the suggestion for 50x50 with auto resize, just use PhotoShop. If you don't have that, MS Paint does resizes. =P

My, my, you're extremely wrong in every thing you've said. Your own avatar is 190 bytes proving you wrong, and the avrege size for each avatar in this room is ~3kb. Raising it to 50x50 would most likely cause the avg to be around 5kb and not 25kb. I don't know why you didn't already realize 25kb for a 50x50 image is ridiculous. Seriously, 50x50 isn't even heavy on a 56k and plus all the images get cached.

192 bytes, but I'm still wrong, yeah. Oh well.

Anyway, the point is, the bigger it is the longer it'd take to load the page. I have a 56K and it's shared over a wireless LAN so it takes a little while to load the forums sometimes. It's quite slow.

Edit: Wait, I think I know what I might've been thinking about now. My avatar's in .gif format. A .bmp 10x10 is over 370 bytes. I believe I got exceptionally mixed up with file formats. =/

Nanami said:

192 bytes, but I'm still wrong, yeah. Oh well.

Not sure what I was thinking when I made that post. Well, that would be for each pixel being a different color. That's probably what I was thinking. A maximum not a minimum.

Anyway, the point is, the bigger it is the longer it'd take to load the page. I have a 56K and it's shared over a wireless LAN so it takes a little while to load the forums sometimes. It's quite slow.

Yeah, gif compression does wonders on the file size if there aren't many colors used.

Hmm, well if it already takes a long time for you to load the page I believe you can set your prefrences to disable avatars from loading in the first place. I never find it a problem since usually for me the whole thread loads first before the images even start to load.

nxn said:

Well, who woulda thought Ichor get modded. :)

KoRn said:

I'm used to 80x80 avatars. somewhere else I think that bigger ones are used...

Yeah, this other outfoxed.net]forum I troll uses 95x95 avatars, but the filesize can't be any bigger than 9kbs.

Yeah, you saw a bunch of 120x120 avatars on the vets forum, and that didn't cause any retardedness, and the forums loaded WAY faster than over here (gzip I believe).

Of course not. Noone at DWVets is a retard, nobody cares about retardedness, and no retards are ever gonna get in.

In a public access forum like this one, though...

IMJack said:

Of course not. Noone at DWVets is a retard, nobody cares about retardedness, and no retards are ever gonna get in.

In a public access forum like this one, though...

I really don't think retards would start signing up here just because they can get a few more pixels in their avatars. The only thing I can think of that plays any part on the IQ or simply the number of people that come in here is the popularity of the site. I can't imagine doomworld being any more popular because it has bigger avatars though.

And anyway, it seems to me now that you're trying to lessen the number of sign ups by making this place be a pain in the ass to post. What's next? An IQ test on the sign up form? I know no one is actually trying to do this, but it does seem like it.

nxn said:

And anyway, it seems to me now that you're trying to lessen the number of sign ups by making this place be a pain in the ass to post. What's next? An IQ test on the sign up form? I know no one is actually trying to do this, but it does seem like it.

Oh yeah, and NOW he starts throwing accusations around, hallelujah!

If someone stays away from a forum for the single reason of being annoyed with the avatar size, then he's a tardcake! And then he wouldn't deserve to grace these forums anyway.

dsm said:

Oh yeah, and NOW he starts throwing accusations around, hallelujah!

If someone stays away from a forum for the single reason of being annoyed with the avatar size, then he's a tardcake! And then he wouldn't deserve to grace these forums anyway.

"Bigger avatars will make people go retarded!!!"
"Bigger avatars will cause more retards to sign up!!"

It's hard not to say people have a phobia of retards when statements like that are made. And it's not like I am actually infact "accusing" anyone of doing anything purpously, I am just explaining how this whole scene is painted in my eyes.

Besides that, I don't know why you can't understand that I am basicly saying the same thing as you are. Bigger or smaller avatars won't make shit difference other than being a pain in the ass to shrink and edit. However a lot of people think they would cause idiots to show up and ruin the forums so I was just trying to get someone to explain how that would happen. Allright?

Bigger avatars = longer loading and rendering times (if you view 500 pages a day like some of us here do, even a few k will matter), bigger space on screen (annoying and pointless), more time that people will spend designing their avatars instead of posting something intelligent.

spank said:

What's DWVets?

it's like the treehouse down the street that only the big tough 9 year-olds are allowed in....in other words, a whole lot of nothin'

Fredrik said:

Bigger avatars = longer loading and rendering times (if you view 500 pages a day like some of us here do, even a few k will matter), bigger space on screen (annoying and pointless), more time that people will spend designing their avatars instead of posting something intelligent.

Heh, true, but I bet you spend a decent amount of time on your talking butt avatar. =P

nxn said:

Heh, true, but I bet you spend a decent amount of time on your talking butt avatar. =P

Not more than an hour :P

Heh, as I already said a while ago, spending time on a pretty avatar is a superb way of practicing your graphics-making skills - I don't do my avatars just for show-off, I do it because I like to see how far I can get with my skills using a limited space and to use my imagination to come up with new funny fishies.