Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

the way back machine

I love it how much doom has come back. Now as a freeware project involving many programers and a wav of new mappers. It is nothing like i thought it would be almost 10 years ago when i played the shareware.
Its been a long ride and its still going strong. Look at what our modified doom code can do. everything from openGL, slopes, 3d rooms, room over room(true) and so much more.
it even seems to be out living games like quake and quake2, whose codes are also released.

One thing that gets me is, Why doom? well as far as i know doom was the first FPS. Yes i know it is not the first, but it was the first for me and many thousands of others. Or it was the first good one. It had an enviroment and feel to it i find difficult to match, few games have ever done that for me. Doom also did not have the 'cartoonish' look or theme many before and after had. Up until quake most FPS looked more like a cartoon, but doom looked nothing like a cartoon. It was also one of the few games that could scare the shit out of you. The creatures were great, weapons extream and the graphics crisp. Doom left an impression on us that stuck, and that is a hard thing hat is why it is still hailed as a great game. I hope doom III inspires a new generation of doomers as the first ones did for us.
Long live king Doom!

I feel that the fps achieved perfection with the making of doom ;)

How could it -be- any better.. it's simple, it's fun, has a replay value games today couldn't even dream of.

Also, they made it so easy to -have- a following by giving the code... so happy creative people could continue making more and more adventures.. because I'm sure there's not a soul out there that has played every wad ever made ;)

it's like a gift that just keep on giving :)

...and taking ;) so many hours lost ;)

Absolutely! In reference to Quake and other 3D games the one glaring thing that breaks the illusion for me is the blockiness of polygons, I just can't get past it as I can with the Doom sprites, they just look so much more realistic imo. However with increased polygon counts we're almost there, Doom3 will be the standard setter of couse and it will inspire a whole new generation as well as the existing one. Just as Doom was a massive leap over Wolf Doom3 will be a massive leap over RTCW.

One thing I've always appreciated is the thought that went into the game mechanics. The weapons were balanced quite well, IMO, and the monsters were too. Doom is a versatile medium by which gaming artists can make spectacular or absolutely piss-inducing levels. I don't know about you guys but while I'm glad for Doom III coming (I was ecstatic when I found out it was more than an ambiguous hope not yet created), I will always, always love Doom and find time to enjoy it.

i was big into games before Doom but it was the best buy FAR when it came out, and i would play it for the longest time with a friend of mine... but then i moved on as so many poor lost souls...

then with news of Doom III and being sooo pissed in the games i'd been loving (and still do) but hateing running 2 MPH with guys shooting me in the head and putting the bomb somewhere and not shooting this guy and on and on... it was just too much, i wanted to Run and Gun as they say.. sooo, cant wait for Doom III, play Doom! i thought :)

i missed the good old days, but i never new how damn GOOD the good old days could be!!

so i dusted off my old Doom2 and later bought the DOOM Collector's Edition found some ports and am having SOOOO MUCH FUN!!

just beat ep 4 in Legacy and am working thru TNT in ZDoom 2.0 (i was half way but lost my saves)

back in 94/95 i was still playing with a joystick!! could never beat Doom2, thought it was made to run around in with codes LOL but now iève beaten ALL Ultimate Doom and Doom2... working on TNT then i'll get to the 100 odd megawads and god knows how many levels and take on Plutonia one of these days... ok ok now stop laughing at the noob :p

Doom is soo awesome i'm too overwhelmed before i can even play it!!! lol and i don't want to be disturbed and not having that much time by myself to play.. i can't play games as much as i'd LOVE to :(

Now is the only thing thats real!

Anyway...it's amazing that Doom has such a huge following. Seriously, the only game that competes with it in such an aspect is Half-Life. I've tried to get into other games in the past, but its hard to even find four or five good sites for information, let alone there being a large, living, breathing community full of resources to tap.

Vulg@r said:

*sob* Nobody likes my avatar...

Sorry, Winceton, but it looks like something you might find being birthed out of the goatse man's ass. ;)

ravage said:

Everything after Doom just went downhill.

Doom was so good it was pretty hard for it not to...

Does DOOM really have such a big following? I ask this because I pay altogether no attention to the "modding communities" of other games (I may have peeked here and there months back, but not lately at all.) Personally I don't feel the "DOOM community" is that big...

As for "why DOOM"? It's probably because it is the best of its kind (non-true 3d and sprites FPS.) If the Quake community has shrunk lately, it is because it's been absorbed by similar games, such as newer Quakes series games, Half-life, Unreal, and so on (there is many.) But DOOM is different, so it usually takes a different kind of player. And even if some engines make DOOM look more like newer games those are not that popular among hardcore doomers, and generally attract people that are mainly used to the newer games.

I'd agree that Doom is probably the best FPS ever. Now, I'm not saying "the most fun" (although, for me, it certainly is). But, one must at least recognize the influence Doom has had. You could tie in just about any aspect of any modern FPS in with Doom in some way. For example, Half-Life was very Science Lab/Sci-Fi oriented. Doom also had some semi-laboratory areas in it, and the Sci-Fi aspect was certainly there. Another example would be Unreal. Great game, but the whole idea of being the last survivor is seen in Doom. There's so many others.

Now, not to say that Doom invented these either. But, it seems to have definitly made them mainstream and staples for the FPS games.

And I'd agree that there's a certain level of realism in Doom that gamers look for. It has just the right level of realism, imo. Not too realistic, and not totally unbelieveable.

As for the size of the Doom community, yeah, we seem to be a bit on the small side (I've never met another Doomer in my life), but IMO we seem to be more devoted than others. We've got to be strong to have survived this long.

I don't think Doom will ever quite die.