Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Quake

Arioch said:

Just as well, since the DM inevitably turns into a rocket spamfest in every level with a rocket launcher, and the other weapons without exception are utterly powerless in comparison except when combined with the quad damage.

That's what I dislike about the Quake weapons in general. Only the rocket launcher seems remotely powerful - all the other weapons are just plain pathetic, including the lightning gun/thunderbolt. So naturally, the Quake weapons are horribly unbalanced.

As for the other two Quakes:

Quake 2 is the best game id released since Doom 2, 'nuff said.

Quake 3 Arena is probably the WORST game id has ever released without exception .... and that's imho. The only good things about that game is the weapons, the visuals and the movement feel.

Quake > Doom
Sorry guys but I'm more into atmospheric games and as far as gameplay is concerned, quake DOES lag behind quite a lot. But the intense atmosphere, the gothic feel, and the Eerie music(the best game music I have ever heard) more than compensates for it. Id's best game thus far.
SP is amazing, and Mp is hella fun.

Ichor said:

EMPs? I was always the medic.

Well, like I said...I prefer to play the engineer. I know all kinds of great strategies with them. I've done plenty of caps with him while my sentry guards home base. As for EMPs, if I manage to sneak into their base, I can get behind the sinpers and toss one at them. I once got four of them with one once. Ehehehe....that was evil.

Yeah, quake wouldn'a sucked if it had a little bit brighter pallete. How do you go by implementing a new pallete for quake anyways?

(almost unrelated-nother game, nother company)
Oh, and some quake engine games, like Hexen2 kick ass. :)

doomedout said:

Quake > Doom
Sorry guys but I'm more into atmospheric games and as far as gameplay is concerned, quake DOES lag behind quite a lot. But the intense atmosphere, the gothic feel, and the Eerie music(the best game music I have ever heard) more than compensates for it. Id's best game thus far.
SP is amazing, and Mp is hella fun.

What the Hell are you doing here Quaker? :-P

Oh, and some quake engine games, like Hexen2 kick ass. :)

Yeah probably, but HeXen >>>>>>>>>Hexen 2 [edit]Ack!!! I forgot to add "imho"!!! Now they're gonna skin me!!! :-P[/edit]

I personally thought quake 1 looked better then quake 2. and for me atleast, quake 2 wore thin pretty quickly (mind you, for an id game, "quickly" means 6 months of solid playing), as for muilti player...

1)Quake 3 Arena
2)Quake 1 (Close second)
3)Quake 2

but, as I always say, there is no such thing as a bad id game.

Bah doom still rocks in ways I can't explain. Its the only game I can put on, smile deviously and forget all my troubles.

/me puts on doom and starts fragging imps.

dsm said:

Yeah probably, but HeXen >>>>>>>>>Hexen 2

I agree, Hexen is much better than 2. But I did enjoy Hexen 2. It had a nice amount of pleasant atmosphere, but maybe 1/2 of the atmosphere Hexen has.

And it seems to me, unlike graphics capabilities, atmosphere actually has a lot to do with how fun and enjoyable a game is.

AndrewB said:
And it seems to me, unlike graphics capabilities, atmosphere actually has a lot to do with how fun and enjoyable a game is.

True, A good atmosphere can almost save a dogie game...

I loved quake, I still play it to this day. I don't play it as much as doom, but it still holds a very special place in my heart. It's probably my second favorite PC game and third favorite game in all. I was simply amazed at the polygon models myself, looking back they're kinda underdetailed, but they definetely got the job done. As far as atmosphere, I think it's got some of the best atmosphere out there, better than doom even! I was pretty dissapointed with the next two quakes though, hopefully ID's gonna get straight on track with doom 3.

I occasionally used to used Quake when I felt like doing a true 3d level. Now I just use Unreal for the same thing. Quake was fun, but it wasn't enough to topple over Rott or Doom, and because of such, I haven't played it in quite a while.

Quake was a cool game up to the last level.
The boss could have been much cooler. It just was too easy. It showed that id got lazy twords the end of some games.

Heh, I always thought the final boss of Quake was a bit on the hard side with all those blasted Shamblers and Vores getting in the way. That, and figuring out exactly how to kill Shub Niggurath.

well, few people know my history much, but i'm one of the late people when it comes to games.

i had the shareware version of doom and loved it, bought the ultimate doom, and loved it. i got into tomb raider not long after tr2 came out and bought the full version of tr2, plus a game controller featuring shareware tr1, redneck rampage, and the full version of quake. keep in mind i was ignorant, so it wasn't until about a year and a half later i booted up quake. the first thing that got me hooked was this: "holy shit, reznor did the music and f/x!" imho the quake soundtrack was one of the best ever, but that's mo. i found the game quite enjoyable the first time around, but nowadays i play with bots, mainly the zeusbot 'cause i suck so much and it's better than me. i bought quake 2 just this christmas and that's a clever game. quake 1 was basically an attempt to capture what doom was, yes, but quake 2 was different. i hated quake 3 on dreamcast. mebbe i should play it on pc. i think what disapointed me the most about quake was that it's shitty storyline was never resolved. i wanted to fight quake damn it, not some stupid tree.

this won't be a very accurate discription of my opinion, as i'm on a shitty school computer with a shitty keyboard.

monochrome said:

i wanted to fight quake damn it, not some stupid tree.

Yeah, and what happened to Quake himself? I'm still waiting for some sort of explanation as to what became of that bastard.
Hmm, maybe he was the dragon in Quake's second mission pack, Dissolution of Eternity?

No, Quake was Shub Niggurath, or something. Quake was just its codename that the humans used.

Arioch said:

No, Quake was Shub Niggurath, or something. Quake was just its codename that the humans used.

You obviously haven't played the mission packs - it is indicated in a scrolling text in..."Dissolution of Eternity" I think, that Quake is still around (There's a part where the hero hears his voice addressing his servants saying something about "forgiveness can yet be granted...")

So no, Shub Niggurath was just a pawn.

I like Quake. It's a really cool game, but not as good as doom.

To be fair, i will agree that it is one with big flaws, namely IMO, the storyline.

Most people would generally agree that a good story, game, movie etc is one that is a few steps forward from where it started. Doom is an example of this; originally your a marine trying to get off the moon and end up in hell, which is not just a surprise for the character, it puts him in even deeper shit than when he started off. Then it leads to saving humanity (or what's left of it) from the forces of hell. This is definately, IMO a fair distance from where it started off, relating to the story.

Of course there other examples, i'm just using a main one. My point is that Quake doesn't do this. It's the same thing all the way through and most people would agree that the plot, mainly for Quake 1 and 3, stinks. After all the general story for both of these games only take up half a page in the manual (i have no idea if game manuals for the quakes in countries other than England differ)

BlueSonnet said:

Of course there other examples, i'm just using a main one. My point is that Quake doesn't do this. It's the same thing all the way through and most people would agree that the plot, mainly for Quake 1 and 3, stinks. After all the general story for both of these games only take up half a page in the manual (i have no idea if game manuals for the quakes in countries other than England differ)

Well, the storylines in the Quake 1 mission packs are little more interesting than in the regular Quake 1, but still somewhat limited.

Heh...Shub-Niggurath was from Lovecraft's novels. I think she was one of the true gods, though I can't be sure (I haven't actualy read any Lovecraft novels). From what I read in the Call of Cthulhu RPG book, she looks and acts pretty much like she does in Quake.

the_Danarchist said:
Heh...Shub-Niggurath was from Lovecraft's novels.

I knew that - I think my brother told me a few years ago.

From what I read in the Call of Cthulhu RPG book, she looks and acts pretty much like she does in Quake. [/B]

That doesn't surprise me.

Btw, I didn't read Call of Chtulhu myself, though I've tried several times to borrow it on a library - all in vain, they only had like two copies and they were always lent out to someone else.

Well it wasn't the book itself I read, it was the sourcebook for the RPG. Heh...I gotta play that game sometime. The main focus is on sanity points. :P