Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

atari games

well i am sure atari roms are fairly legal, plus i own so many games anyway chances are i have the game. I am just curious as to why they are hard to find online. I mean many games are well over 10 years old and a number of companies that made them are long gone, and if not why would they care.

also what were specs of the atari 2600?

Fair warning, nobody turn this into a pro/con thread about romz, no matter what Seph wrote. And plz observe all relevant forum rules. kthxbye

hey i am not asking for links, or roms. like i said i have the games and such. I was just curious as to why atari roms are difficult to find.

another question is what games have been 'freewared' by the owner, there has to be some.

Sephiroth said:

hey i am not asking for links, or roms. like i said i have the games and such. I was just curious as to why atari roms are difficult to find.

Presumably,

(a) the physical carts themselves are hard to find
(b) the hardware needed to rip the roms from the carts (dunno about the exact science of this) is hard to find
(c) all your base are belong to us

Eh...MAME is an arcade emulator, and many Atari games were also on arcade since that was kind how it all worked back then...so that could help you out a bit.

ironicly the atari was one big open source orgy back in the day. thing is they forgot to copyright alot of stuff. so many games are freeware. back then anyone could make an atari and or the games. hell you could make game from your home, provided you had the equipment to load software onto rom chips. now days u need to get a code from the console makers to port a game to it.

also a number of sites claimed the atari 5200 has better hardware than the NES. first off i was confused as to how that would be, i always thought the NES was better. so i decided to do research. i found 5200 specs but i am still unable to find NES specs.

Personally, I found the roms exeedingly easy, EXCEPT 1. I cannot find a finctional Pitfall II rom or an emulator that will play it. It is said it is the hardest rom to get working cause most emus don;t like it for one reason or another.

I found Pitfall II a while back rather easily. Just don't remember how. Don't have it anymore, either. I just assume play the games on my actuall 7800 (which still works perfectly!)

Lost Soul said:

Personally, I found the roms exeedingly easy, EXCEPT 1. I cannot find a finctional Pitfall II rom or an emulator that will play it. It is said it is the hardest rom to get working cause most emus don;t like it for one reason or another.

Activision roms are illegal (which is why they're not on atariage.com)

But google does magic.

scorpion said:

Everybody with a C64 has had Pitfall ;-)

Yeah...I remember having that, but I'm not sure about the sequel.