Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goat

Too DARK!!

yo i just got a new monitor, its nice and everything 19 inches, 18.5ish inch viewable. the only bad thing is that it is like, too dark with the contrast and brightness turned up. does anyone know of any good utils that can increase the brightness? some other doodads thrown into the program could be cool too, somethin to increase refresh rate, contrast, blah?

Weird how this subject (monitor brightness) came up on two separate threads the day after I spent a considerable time dealing with the problem.

Too dark? I thought that happened to old monitors, not new ones... Why did you buy it without testing it? Is it an used monitor? You can probably get some dude (e.g., hardware expert) to increase the base RGB values, I suppose.

ravage, i have already turned them all up
myk, it is a refurbished one cuz im too cheap to buy a brand new one.

myk said:

Too dark? I thought that happened to old monitors, not new ones... Why did you buy it without testing it?

Ya know... Duh! Always test shit befor buying...

I'd say get a new monitor. Monitors are worth investing money in, more so than the stuff on your mainboard.

Turn off all lights, turn down the brightness until black is black and crank up the contrast all the way up. Then stay a few meters away from the monitor and take a look at this :

http://www.povray.org/documentation/images/gamma.gif

With your gamma setting, make the b&w scanlines look like the gray portrayed in the 2.2 tab. Then reduce the contrast until the absolute white doesn't hurt your eyes (typically 60-75 out of 100) and slightly increase the brightness until absolute black doesn't look like it anymore (around 10-15 out of 100 above whatever you were using for the test).

Like BBG said, use your video card settings. I used to have your same problem.

[tip]
right click desktop
click "properties"
click on the "settings" tab
click the "advanced" button
search these menu's for your video card settings. For example, I go to my "Vanta" tab and then click on an "Advanced Settings" button. It will probably be different for you. MAYBE, you don't have a brightness setting on your video card, in which case you're probably out of luck
[/tip]