Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

dumbass instructions

well i do admit i know little about networking, but i know some.

we just got a router because i am getting DSl on thursday. anyway it says i need to set it up and the instructions give me something that i have never heard of.
first it says that all i need to do is connect the computers to it. so i did that. now i know the wires, network cards and settings are correct on both computers, was on network before. anyway it then says after i reboot to open IE and type in an ip address(gives the ip address u need to type in) so i do that thinking that it is pure BS.

well i was correct, it gave an error and asked if i would like to connect to the internet. i then ping the router with the Ip address to find out it works. so i try IE agian with same results. first off the had to have left out many instructions leading to that point. i highly dout i can plug in a new device to a network and just bring it up in IE without any network configuration

the model i am useing is the Dl(maybe I)-614+

anyone know what the hell it is asking me to do, and how to configure it. it says after inputing the ip address that a wizard should pop up in IE. they had to have left out a ton of shit leading to that step. no software came with it, other than acrobat and the manuals in PDF format. anyways how do i configure the SOB

i dunno, every time i go to a lan party i have to go to my network places, jiggle that around a bit, type some ip addresses here and ther pertaining to the network hub and shit, and whammo, QUAKE 3 OVER THE LAN!!!

hope that helps. just, basically, anywhere and everywhere u can put in a IP address, do it. any ip address at all seems to work.

yea that is what i normaly do. but this is some sort of smart router. oh well might as well take it back and try another

i have tried everything and all i can say is that it must be deffective

my cards are correct and working, i have changed setting over and over agian. i used more than one system and operating system, includeing linux. The network its self works, useing a normal hub or just 2 computers.

it is really lame because that is the only instructions given. it says hook it up and type in the address. nothing is THAT easy

it gave no other instructions as to how a network should be set up, setting needed for browser and nics or any other additional software drivers or windows settings

for me, it is that easy. i have six sisco routers and they just plug in and go. no probleemo. its mostly human error. what exactly are you trying to do? network to share everything ( ie printers ) or just have a shared internet ( no proxy )

was doing the base configuareation. shareing both printers and internet. however i got it to work after dicking around with it.

on a side note i get DSL tomarrow, hell yea!!

lol
see! it was human error. thats why you research what you gotta do in order for it to work.