Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > "ALL YOUR BASE..." and "YOU FAIL IT"
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:21. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

Where did they come from and how did they get so popular? (the sayings)

Old Post 07-18-03 16:44 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mćnd er voldtćgtsmćnd

Both came from japanese produced video games.

And both are considered funny due to the bad english grammar.

Old Post 07-18-03 16:48 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Searchy searchy :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 07-18-03 16:51 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darkstalker
Should be mapping

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/story.shtml

For the you fail it thing, it comes from a game too, don't remember which though. Someone posted some pics in the blogs but they aren't there anymore.

Old Post 07-18-03 16:53 #
Darkstalker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
IMJack
Web Radio Geek

Bad Japanese translations, amplified by groups such as Something Awful and propelled into cliche legend.

Blame SA, that's what I always do.

Old Post 07-18-03 17:13 #
IMJack is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Darkstalker said:
For the you fail it thing, it comes from a game too, don't remember which though. Someone posted some pics in the blogs but they aren't there anymore.

Not before I got at them...

http://www.geocities.com/theultimat...ou-fail-it.html
http://www.geocities.com/theultimat...ou_fail_it.html

Personally, I think MassMouth 2 should've had an 8th secret with these two pics in....

Old Post 07-18-03 17:13 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

The 'all your base' came from Zero Wing, but I don't know what game 'you fail it' came from.

Old Post 07-18-03 17:39 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

I tried to search google for "you fail it", but my best matches were all from DW. Heh.

Old Post 07-18-03 18:29 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

I just managed to find the game. It's called Blazing Star, made in 1998 by Yumekobo.

Old Post 07-18-03 19:10 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Assmaster said:
I tried to search google for "you fail it", but my best matches were all from DW. Heh.

Now that's what you call funny.

Old Post 07-18-03 19:53 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chopkinsca
Nothing

I thought "you fail it" came from my mind and what I tell myself all the time. :P
well, I'm not that pathetic.
crazy games and their bad translations. reminds me of engrish.com

Old Post 07-18-03 19:59 #
chopkinsca is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lizardcommando
I'm a good person because I like dogs

hehehe, those "you fail it" pics are funny. I always thought "you fail it" was just a Doomworld thing.

Lizard's Legacy, Lizard Squad, Lizardcommando, the Exterminator, and any other related materials are copyrighted to Cliff AKA Lizardcommando, so don't even think about using them without my permission!!!
Copyrighted 2000-2012

Old Post 07-18-03 22:42 #
Lizardcommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

You fail it, and all your base are belong to us. :P

Old Post 07-19-03 00:53 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ralphis
IDL Founder

BlackFish said:
Where did they come from and how did they get so popular? (the sayings)

Hey you, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Old Post 07-19-03 02:34 #
Ralphis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

Ichor said:
I just managed to find the game. It's called Blazing Star, made in 1998 by Yumekobo.

Really? I always thought it was one of those late 80's/early 90's arcade games.

Old Post 07-19-03 02:37 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

Ralphis said:

Hey you, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

what?

Old Post 07-19-03 03:25 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dingus Khan

I have a cd that PWW burnt for me that's filled with samples from a game called "Last Alert". I listen to them and die of laughing because the translation and voice acting are so hideously bad.

"Hey Guy! Let my baby Betty throw you a kiss!!"

"You're some wierdo, naming your helicopter."

Homless
Maiking Trix
Reguler

():::[|;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Old Post 07-19-03 03:43 #
Dingus Khan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
alexz721
Forum Regular

Ralphis said:

Now that's funny.

Old Post 07-19-03 14:59 #
alexz721 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Little Faith said:
And both are considered funny due to the bad english grammar.

You fail it. You fail it doesn't fail it in the grammar department.

Old Post 07-19-03 15:47 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Surely that depends on the context. If there is nothing for the "it" to refer to, and the verb is really intransitive, then there is some failing it going on it.

Old Post 07-19-03 16:23 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

I think it's referring to whatever you've failed. In the game, it says 'you fail it' because 'you failed the game'. Of course when we use it, it doesn't refer to anything in particular...

Old Post 07-19-03 16:52 #
Grazza
=/-

Yes, except you wouldn't say "you failed the game". You'd say "you failed" or "you lost the game", or equivalent.

Old Post 07-19-03 17:08 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

You fail the mission!

Old Post 07-19-03 18:12 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Hmm... using fail instead of failed is what gives the catchy phrase its sense of finality (plus the fact that the object isn't defined clearly.) But there's nothing agrammatical about it... not in its context, it's just not day to day common english, but neither is game over, for that matter. It might sound like something a Japanese person translating might write, but it makes sense both gramatically and semantically (unlike the All you base... phrase.)

Old Post 07-19-03 18:27 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh

I don't think it's worth it to have a seriously serious discussion about a line of text from a game that got a really bad Japanese-to-English translation.
You fail it fails it.

Old Post 07-19-03 18:33 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

That's amusing, since, why would the seriousness of something matter in the Everything Else section of a forum about a game?

Actually, maybe it's too serious a matter to discuss, since it's the type of discussion you might find in a Grammar or Linguistics class at a school or university.

Eh, I fail it! It's like the second part of my post agrees with you.

In other words, I don't give a flying fuck about how serious or not a discussion (or its object) is as long as it's cool, do you?

Last edited by myk on 07-19-03 at 19:02

Old Post 07-19-03 18:50 #
DooMBoy
Heh

myk said:
In other words, I don't give a flying fuck about how serious or not a discussion (or its object) is as long as it's cool, do you?
Nah, not really, just as long as you don't get too serious about it, sometimes you can carry things too far. :) It's cool.

Old Post 07-19-03 19:12 #
Job
Forum Legend

Heh.

You fail it! Your skill is not enough! See you next time! Bye bye!

Old Post 07-19-03 19:25 #
Job is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

You fail it is both grammatically and contextually (is that a word?) correct. It just sounds strange because we're expecting a more clearly defined noun than it.

Game over on the other hand, is grammatically incorrect.

Old Post 07-19-03 21:51 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Willis
Green Marine

I have the intro of zero wing set as my screensaver :D

Old Post 07-19-03 23:51 #
Willis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote