Your Technical Advice is Welcome

Which PC would be best?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which PC would be best?

• IBM NetVista
    • IBM A30
    • Sony Vaio with DVD burner
    • Medion Pentium with DVD burner

I'm planning on buying a new computer. It's going to be a weaker processor because I don't really want/need a powerhouse. Just an average/slightly above average desktop that does what I need it to do. So I went to a place I'm rather fond of and rounded up a few computers that fit the description of what I'm looking for. I'll post links to them and you can tell me what you know/believe the pros and cons are for each and what you recommend for the money in return for performance.

IBM NetVista
IBM A30
Sony Vaio with DVD burner
Medion Pentium with DVD burner
Medion #2

Heh, I didn't know Medion sells computers outside of germany.

Anyways, if you can just get the single parts and put it together yourself.

Or if you're not happy with doing it yourself, find a reputable dealer who will assemble a machine to your spec. It's rare to find something off the shelves that suits your needs exactly.

Crono said:

Well...what do you need the computer to do?

Just play some old school games. Mostly school work and Doom editing. Playing some Q3A, UT, some strategy games, etc. That's why I listed computers in a lower processor range.

Enjay said:

Or if you're not happy with doing it yourself, find a reputable dealer who will assemble a machine to your spec. It's rare to find something off the shelves that suits your needs exactly.

Heh, if I did something like that, my bro would probably have to get involved. Admittedly, I'm pretty lazy about that stuff. That's why I'm buying a computer that's kind of cheaper and has more room for expansion so I can alter it to my liking.

boris said:

Is Medion any good?

Job said:

Is Medion any good?

Heh, I'm kinda biased since I've had a Medion Titanium MD 8008 since April. It's slightly higher spec than that one you've cited there but it's the same case and layout roughly.

It's been great. It can over-heat but it has a side fan and I have to keep it in a pretty tight spot :\

The build quality is good, typically German. The internals are a bit congested but there's a lot going on. Features are endless, but not all of them are useful. Pre-loaded software is mostly garbage, no surprise there.

My fan has started to get noisy for a couple of minutes when it starts up but I at least have a years free call out so I'll use that soon.

Performance is great. A dvd writer is a real bonus. I'm happy with it, glad I got ahead in the queue and got one. Try and get a Medion monitor and speakers if you can they are fantastic value for money.

i might sell you mine

dual pentium2 400mhz
300+ megs of ram
tnt2
30gigs
soundblaster gold 64 gold
somother misc shit

pritch said:

Heh, I'm kinda biased since I've had a Medion Titanium MD 8008 since April. It's slightly higher spec than that one you've cited there but it's the same case and layout roughly.

It's been great. It can over-heat but it has a side fan and I have to keep it in a pretty tight spot :\

The build quality is good, typically German. The internals are a bit congested but there's a lot going on. Features are endless, but not all of them are useful. Pre-loaded software is mostly garbage, no surprise there.

My fan has started to get noisy for a couple of minutes when it starts up but I at least have a years free call out so I'll use that soon.

Performance is great. A dvd writer is a real bonus. I'm happy with it, glad I got ahead in the queue and got one. Try and get a Medion monitor and speakers if you can they are fantastic value for money.

So both the Medion and the Vaio have dvd burners...which is best of the two?
EDIT: Actually, I forgot to mention the second Medion there too.

Well my Medion came with a Pioneer 2x dvd-burner which is excellent, and a Sony 32x dvd-rom which is a bit noisy but very fast.

I assume Medion would use the same here.

boris said:

Anyways, if you can just get the single parts and put it together yourself.

we sell them.

build your self, always better. not that hard either

I'm probably going to buy a new Medion pc in a few weeks. There's a chain of low-budget supermarkets here (called Aldi) that sells them, and I suppose I'll buy one there, just as I bought my current pc there over two years ago.

Lord FlatHead said:

I'm probably going to buy a new Medion pc in a few weeks. There's a chain of low-budget supermarkets here (called Aldi) that sells them, and I suppose I'll buy one there, just as I bought my current pc there over two years ago.

OMG, we have an Aldi's in the city we live 30 mins away from. Heh, I've seen PCs there, but they're Compaqs and they're really shitty.

ravage said:

Aldi's sells computers? Since when?

They always have. As long as I can remember. I forgot about them. I heard they sell some good laptops.

Lord FlatHead said:

I think Aldi is only selling Medion pc's in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. Not outside Europe anyway.

Add Britain to that list.

I couldn't find any other Medion outlet in the UK which makes me think wtf are they doing because they undercut everyone else by stupid amounts, and the systems, mine anyway, has been superb.

The only weird thing was queueing up outside a supermarket at 7:30am to grab one before everyone else did. And paying for a PC alongside a packet of cereal bars is quite strange too O_o