• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Favourite bad guy:

see title for great justice.  

43 members have voted

1. 1. see title for great justice.

• Super natural horrors such as demons, undead beasts and evil spirits (Doom(?), Quake, Blood.)
    • Aliens (Duke Nukem, Alien verses Predator, Half Life)
    • Terrorists (Solder of fortune, Rainbow six)
    • Nazis (Wolfenstein, Medal of honour)
    • Other.

Nazis were fine for Wolf3D, but I find that such enemies are far too boring and simplistic to belong in modern games.

I personally prefer zombies. Not the gay chop-em-up-into-iddy-biddy-peices-and-still-wont-die return of the living dead zombies, or the dozen-bullets-to-kill resident evil zombies, but the George Romero bullet-to-the-head zombies.

Because I'm a lazy bastard.

The first choice, with Doomish, quakeish and Bloodish and suchish type Dee-Lees, they have room for lots of creativity. :D As do the other selections but in some cases not so broad. :D

Gonna have to go with the super-natural, demonic types here. Aside from letting the imagination run free (you never know what forms demons or aliens are going to end up being until you see them) I think the other three groups would be rather freaked out by creatures beyond their understanding.

Demons are by far my favorite types of badguys - they're pure evil.
Hence my love for Doom and my unbeatable optimism towards Doom 3.

The enemies in Quake 1 were also the best element of the game by far imo.

Nazis are more like terrorists (i.e. boring human enemies), but the reason the Wolfenstein games (counting out the Apple II games) sit well with me is the over-the-top storyline and the addition of supernatural stuff (zombie mutants in Wolf3d and SoD, Hell and the Angel of Death in SoD, the zombies, the fat demon and the X-creatures in RtCW).

Demons and aliens, certainly, but there's nothing wrong with terrorists/Nazis. If you need a human enemy, few things are more quintessential than the generic Nazi. :)

Ubik said:

Demons and aliens, certainly, but there's nothing wrong with terrorists/Nazis. If you need a human enemy, few things are more quintessential than the generic Nazi. :)

Problem is that the generic German soldier is always regarded as a Nazi and that's not really fair :-(

The fact that most soldiers fighting for the Reich were forced by the Nazis to join kills some of the fun of gunning them down in WW2 themed games - for me at least.
This wasn't a problem back when Wolf3d was a new because I didn't know any better :-P

dsm said:

Problem is that the generic German soldier is always regarded as a Nazi and that's not really fair :-(

The fact that most soldiers fighting for the Reich were forced by the Nazis to join kills some of the fun of gunning them down in WW2 themed games - for me at least.
This wasn't a problem back when Wolf3d was a new because I didn't know any better :-P

That's the problem with providing detailed historical context to a game: you start identifying with the bad guys too much. :) That's (part of) why simple, unilaterally evil villains like aliens and demons are better.

What? No robots?!

Actually, I prefer the System Shock zombie myself.

Xenomorphs and carebears. Those are the worst of them all. carebears anyway.

You know, I'd actually prefer human enemies. Smart and intelligent ones, Both in the way they behave in the environment, with battle tactics, and ways they deal with the players. Final Fantasy, in this respect, Gets it right. You have characters with personalities, opinions and feelings, and they can draw you into their world. Characters you hate and characters you like. Sure you don't really have much contact with the cannon fodder, but I still like being able to play a game stealthily and sneak past two random guards having a conversation, like real people. It just adds that little bit of immersion.

Carebears? Nah mate....dropbears are worse (*cough* woow baz, that's not obscure at aaall, everyone will get that one :P *cough*)

Sorry, just had to say it.

LorD BaZTArD said:

Carebears? Nah mate....dropbears are worse (*cough* woow baz, that's not obscure at aaall, everyone will get that one :P *cough*)

Sorry, just had to say it.

gummi bears are scarier than you, scarier than you in every way

fraggle said:

Zombie Nazi Terrorist Alien Kittens!

zombie nazi terrorist alien kitten ninjas with uzis and magic wands.

What about malicious ghosts? Those are some vicious bastards. (i.e. Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly)

demons and shit all the way man.
Fuckin werewolves man they fuckin freak me out hardcore thats if they look right, the ones in underworld were not to bad they could of changed the face a bit though.