Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Most over-rated games

I just remembered some other more recent overrated games:

Banjo and Kazooie (and its sequel, whatever the hell it was called)
Jak 2
Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando
XIII

Games that are not so recent:

Turok: Rage Wars
FF9

I didn't play the first three games I mentioned above, but I did play XIII, Turok: Rage Wars and FF9 and here's what I gotta say:

XIII was all glitz and glamour, but it had no substance, so to speak. Sure the storyline is better than most other FPSes in recent years and it was cel-shaded (I personally like cel-shaded stuff :D), but it was boring. Multiplayer was a very big letdown IMO. You can't even choose your own player model. Now, I played the XBox version and the Gamecube version, and between those two, I'd say that the Xbox version was better. The graphics didn't look as shitty as it did on the Gamecube version. Oh and Sabatoge is much funner than the other bonus gameplay mode for the GC.

Turok: Rage Wars IMO was just a stupid clone of Quake 3 Arena. It was just a fucking botmatches put together using a stupid storyline. I rented this from blockbuster, I played it for an hour, got sick of it, then I returned it. Why do so many game companies try and copy the idea of having games that are so called "tournaments"? Think about it, ever since Q3:A, it's like every other game has it's own little tournament editions.

Final Fantasy 9 was glorifying the "old-school" FF's, or so Squaresoft was saying. I dunno if I'm the only who thinks this, but the chibified characters looked retarded. Why did they do it?!? Chibifying things are what psycotic fanboys do, not professional game companies! The game was a little too easy IMO. The last boss wasn't even that hard. Just have Vivi master Ultima and Meteor and blast the last boss! I guess those things were the only gripes to the game.

So yeah, those are my little reviews. What did you people think of Banjo and Kazooie, Jak 2, and Ratchet and Clank 2? Do those games live up to the hype? (I doubt it)

Lizardcommando said:

It was called Banjo-Tooie, I myself never really played them, but I got a video talking aboot Banjo and Kazooie. :P

And now the big announcement.

Best game evar is... drumroll... Megaman/Rockman 2!

Personaly, I really like Goldeneye. Deathmatch is the greatest thing ever (best console DM until Halo came around), and the single player was really fun with all the objectives and such. It was also fun trying to get all the cheat codes.

Ubik said:

Die horribly.

What? I seriously don't like it. SMB1 is fun because of the nostalgia, SMB2 has the multiple characters and such, and SMW and Mario 64 are stright up fun to play. But SMB3 is pretty boring and by the time I ever got to play it, the graphics were horribly dated. Plus, I don't think I've ever been able to get past the 3rd or 4th level. I don't like games where they make it that hard to beat.

Lizardcommando said:

You suck incomprehensibly much.

Banjo Kazooie was a very good platformer. It didn't have the same level of puzzle creativity and algorithmic magic as Super Mario 64, but with the scope and the variety, it was effectively Mario 64's equal.

Banjo Tooie... Well, I could never really get into it. However, I doubt that it's any better than the original.

GTA3, overrated? Man. For people who bitch about how games are all about graphics and not gameplay I find that baffeling, but whatever.

The only game I can think of off hand recently that I thought was overrated is Call of Duty, which was pretty well put together, but painfully short and unoriginal to the extreme.

Halo is probably overrated as well. It's a lot of fun, but the levels are hardcore bland (the indoor portions anyway) and look exactly the same a lot of times, and the flood is just blah, but like I said, it's quite a lot of fun.

Alice is the opposite, looks amazing, but plays like a complete uninnovative bore, but most people agree on that so I guess it's not overrated heh.

Lizardcommando said:

What did you people think of Banjo and Kazooie, Jak 2, and Ratchet and Clank 2? Do those games live up to the hype? (I doubt it)

Dunno about the first one, but the other two more than do!

In fact, all the previews of Jak 2 I read actually (unintentionally) turned me off of the game a little, and made me think it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the original. Thankfully it turned out I was wrong (it's a superb game!), and I'm glad they tried to something different (one absolutely enormous hub rather than several little ones) and succeeded with it. I'm also pleased they decided to take it in a slightly darker and more adult direction that the first one, but still kept all the humour.

Ratchet and Clank 2 is a great game too, definitely not over-rated at all. In fact, personally I think it's under-rated! :) Most fans of the genre seem to be busy playing Jak 2 instead, when IMHO R&C 2 is the better game. It's levels are even more well designed and distinctive than those of Jak 2's, and it has some of the most unique and most-fun-to-use weapons and gadgets of any game, ever :)

I'd definitely say that both games are in the top 10 of 3D platform games. R&C probably even the top 5. Of course lots of people don't like 3D platform games, but personally I don't go around saying games are shit just because I don't like the genre; it's whether they appeal to actual fans of that genre that matters, and these two most definitely do.

Hmm, come to think of it, Metal Gear Solid 2 was overhyped before it was initially released. (Just to warn anyone who hasn't played MGS2, there are some spoilers below)

It's a good game and all, but the story is really stupid. I mean come on, what's the deal with the Patriots and the Lalilulelo?!? Did the game ever discuss what the hell the Lalilulelo were... Or is that thing the same as the Patriots? Shalashaska's arm being possessed by Liquid Snake?!? What the hell is this, the Exorcist or something? I mean, when I saw that scene in the Tanker Chapter where Ocelot's arm's going all psyco, I just started laughing my ass off!

And how could I forget Dead Cell. None of those Dead Cell dumbasses are as cool as the FoxHound team from Shadow Moses. I mean, come on, ther's Vamp the bisexual vampire, Fat Man the uh... fat ass on roller blades, Fortune the annoying drama queen with a railgun type weapon, and of course Solidus Snake, Solid Snake's other brother (AKA ex-president George Sears). They just don't compare to Vulcan Raven, Sniper Wolf, or Psyco Mantis, IMO.

Oh and of course, there's the fact that you only get to play as Snake for only about 3-5% of the entire game, the rest of it, you get to play as Raiden... I won't even go into how annoyed I get whenever you call Rose on the Codec. "Jack do you remember what today is?" Ugh, I don't care goddammit! SAVE MY GAME ALREADY!!!

Ok, I think it's time I stop talking about this game. So to sum things up, this was a good game. It was just a bit too overhyped and overrated. Phew, there, I'm done now.

Cyb said:

about how games are all about graphics and not gameplay I find that baffeling, but whatever.

From what I've heard about GTA 3/4, its gameplay is along the lines of get mission A, proceed to area B where you then take out person C, while stealing item D and aquiring mission E. Imagine if that exact same gameplay formula were adapted to game where you were a bee, and you had to get your buzzies A to fly to area B, where you then pollenate flower C while gaining pheremone D, and then aquire pollenation mission E.

People certainly claim that they love it for the gameplay, but I think there's some sort of illusion in effect.

Is that the game about some cartoon bear and a large bird, that sound incomprehensively funny when they "talk"?

If yes, that game (how ever overrated it might be) is freaking hilarious simply because of the "voices" the characters have.

Voices? They're just "Uhg uhg uhg UHG uhg uhg UHG UHG!" and "Breh breh BREH BREH breh breh" sounds with variable pitches, similar to Doom pre-1.09 patch.

I guess they're silly, but I never considered them to be funny. If you want funny audio in a game (as in make your sides hurt), then nothing beats SimCopter.

AndrewB said:

From what I've heard about GTA 3/4, its gameplay is along the lines of get mission A, proceed to area B where you then take out person C, while stealing item D and aquiring mission E. Imagine if that exact same gameplay formula were adapted to game where you were a bee, and you had to get your buzzies A to fly to area B, where you then pollenate flower C while gaining pheremone D, and then aquire pollenation mission E.

People certainly claim that they love it for the gameplay, but I think there's some sort of illusion in effect.

uh, that's a very generalized forumla for pretty much every action game ever invented. Every action game is based on getting from point A to point B. While the missions in GTA3 are sometimes repetitive and feel rehashed, that's not the case with Vice City which has more interesting missions overall. But in both cases it's still pretty fun for the most part (there's always an extremly frustrating mind-numbingly hard mission to annoy you of course ;)

However the true beauty of the games (though GTA3 to a lesser extent) is how non-linear they are. If you don't want to do any missions, you don't have to, you can simply drive around town, buy weapons, mug people on the street, or do whatever you want without ever talking to a single character (in GTA3 you have to advance through the missions to open up the next part of the city, and the same is true in VC, though it takes fewer missions to do so and the entire city opens up rather quickly).

That aside, I fail to see how you can pass judgement on the games like that without having ever played them, especially since so few people have negative things to say about the gameplay.

AndrewB said:

Voices? They're just "Uhg uhg uhg UHG uhg uhg UHG UHG!" and "Breh breh BREH BREH breh breh" sounds with variable pitches, similar to Doom pre-1.09 patch.

I guess they're silly, but I never considered them to be funny. If you want funny audio in a game (as in make your sides hurt), then nothing beats SimCopter.

Whatever man, I tried SimCopter and didn't find the "voice" sounds all that funny.
It's exactly the "Ugh ugh ugh" voice sounds that make them funny stupid ;-P

I'd vote The Sims, GTA3, UT2K3 and Halo, off the top of my head.

I thought Goldeneye was great - the graphics sucked, but I found the multiplayer gameplay to be unparalleled by any other console shooter.

Planetside and The Sims I believe are the worst of my list. I brought both games and had them uninstalled within 10 minutes of playing (In the case of Planetside, I couldnt even download the updates to get on the servers)

Cyb said:

However the true beauty of the games (though GTA3 to a lesser extent) is how non-linear they are.

I do believe that's a quality, nay, a necessity, but I don't believe that that alone is sufficient. The best and most addictive games ever made are designed through gameplay algorithms and formulas that are far more complex and/or dynamic than GTA. And no, I don't claim to know more about GTA than the basic gameplay style outline.

I swear I thought I posted on this but apparently looking back it must have been a dream.

Here's my list:

Mortal Kombat 3 & 4 (I like Trilogy and Deadly Alliance, thank you)
Halo (Very repetetive, and a super cyborg-marine who can't run)
Diablo 2 (As said before, no intelligence)
Final Fantasy series (Come on, the stories have nothing to do with one another and their advertising is soley based off of the movie sequences. How cheap can you get?)
Goldeneye(I agree, suckage at its best)
The X-Files game for Playstation (God I love X-Files but this game fucking was annoying, its not overrated but hey, I hate it so I listed it anyway)
StarWars games (Please, StarWars was cool back in the 80's and early 90's but the newer movies have ruined it and now its just like every other cleche sci-fi/space-adventure film, SpaceBalls was better and it was a mere paraody).
Soul Calibur 2 (It was alright the first 30 minutes, but then when you realize there's really nothing to learn, it bores you).
HalfLife (I honestly can't see why this game is so liked)
Warcraft 3 (For all they aspire, they're really a liar...Its just like the other Warcrafts with a new race, boring because its nothing new)

[edit]

Forgot to add UT games, need I say more?

Melfice said:

[edit]

Forgot to add UT games, need I say more?

Yes. UT2K3!

I like all Final Fantasy up to 6. I haven't played 7 yet, and I don't plan on playing it or the rest of them.

Ichor said:

I like all Final Fantasy up to 6. I haven't played 7 yet, and I don't plan on playing it or the rest of them.

That's a good idea, because after 6, they're all crap.

EDIT: Heh, the first time I tried to post this, I got an error from Telefragged...hmm...

Warcraft 3.
After the huge success of StarCraft/Broodwar, WarCraft3 seemed like a really bad game to me.

UT is at least better than Quake 3. And if it werent for the cool game modes in UT, I'd say even playing Quake 2 with an Eraser bot would be more fun.