Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathbringer

"Crap" games that you actually liked

Kid Airbag said:

Blake Stone!

... You mean there's people who've played Blake Stone and actually HATED it? My god, the world IS indeed a scary place... I personally think Blake Stone VERY CLOSELY approaches being better than Wolfenstein. Hell, it closely approaches being better than DOOM!

JamesEightBitStar said:

... You mean there's people who've played Blake Stone and actually HATED it? My god, the world IS indeed a scary place... I personally think Blake Stone VERY CLOSELY approaches being better than Wolfenstein. Hell, it closely approaches being better than DOOM!

Better then wolfenstein, but not even close to being better than doom.

Skeletor said:

Better then wolfenstein, but not even close to being better than doom.

We could argue this one until the day I day.

But anyway, Blake Stone had a lot of features I wish Doom and many other games had (allowing you to revisit levels, the ability to talk to people, etc). As well, I wouldn't mind seeing someone expand upon Blake Stone's gameplay (allowing you to talk to security officials as well as bio-tech guys, or disquise yourself somehow... though on second thought these might over-complicate the game and make it more of a chore to play or lose the original feel).

Seriously, someone should do a Blake Stone TC for Doom. I mean, there was one for Wolfenstein... (though Blake Stone would require a lot of serious hacking to get all the features into the DOOM Engine).

JamesEightBitStar said:

Well... I think it's a friggin' Wolfenstein 3D copy, but well, it's outstanding...

JamesEightBitStar said:

Hell, it closely approaches being better than DOOM!

Of all non-sensical statements I've seen, this perhaps takes the first prize.

Ok ignore that comment if you're offended by it, just tell me one thing: Why?

dsm said:

Of all non-sensical statements I've seen, this perhaps takes the first prize.

Ok ignore that comment if you're offended by it, just tell me one thing: Why?

JamesEightBitStar already answered:

But anyway, Blake Stone had a lot of features I wish Doom and many other games had (allowing you to revisit levels, the ability to talk to people, etc).

In any event, Blake Stone was the first non-Doom FPS I ever played, so it has sentimental value for me. In fact, it came on the same shareware CD that I first discovered Doom on.

I bought the full version for like five bucks a few years later at some cheap computer place, and then I sold it at a yard sale a few years after that, for which I'll never forgive myself.

Don't worry, Kid Airbag. I've found several places online that are still selling both the Blake Stone games (Aliens of Gold and Planet Strike) for low prices. Heck, one of them is selling them for $5.95 each!

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/shop/index.php

There's one site. I'm thinking of ordering the Wolf3D hint Book from there (I don't need it for gameplay purposes, but because of the developmental information it contains).

http://store.yahoo.com/3drealms/

This is the official online store of 3D Realms, formerly known as Apogee (makers of Blake Stone) and it supposedly also has them, but I haven't had time to look and compare their prices to the DOS Games Archive.

Whoa, there's two Blake Stones? Holy crap.

I'll check that out as soon as I have money.

Infinite Ammunition said:

OMG TRAITOR GET HIM

Mwahahaha! You'll never catch me, because I've got my fancy Potato Gun!

*Fires his weapon--which is really a rocket launcher--into a group of Doom fanboys who are trying to lynch him* one potato *fires another rocket* two potato *fires another* three potato...

I really enjoyed Vandal Hearts for the PSX. If I recall correctly, it didn't get the best reviews, but the graphics weren't too bad, the game mechanics were nice and the story was excellent.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

You know what John Carmack needs to do? Release the source code of Wolfenstien. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Hi Res WS? :D

Like the original Wolf3d? That's been out for a while now, as they have OpenGL versions of it running in Windows. Quite cool, actually.

What I'd like to see is the source code to Zero Tolerance for the Genesis and maybe a level editor.

DJ_Haruko said:

What I'd like to see is the source code to Zero Tolerance for the Genesis and maybe a level editor.

I'd like to see a Blake Stone FAN COMMUNITY. I mean seriously... it needs one. (DOOM-Engine remakes and fan-made scenarios would be a nice bonus).

Any of you guys remember the game Pissed Off? That game was pretty horrible but cool. You played as the chef on this space ship being invaded by aliens and being the only one who lived you have to fight them off with such tools as frying pans and power drills.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Any of you guys remember the game Pissed Off? That game was pretty horrible but cool. You played as the chef on this space ship being invaded by aliens and being the only one who lived you have to fight them off with such tools as frying pans and power drills.

Yup, I remember seeing it at the rental place, my brother showed me a review of it in his game mag and suggested I rent it. The one thing I remember is a screenshot of flying asses and a frying pan.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

PO'ed was one of my favorite games ever. I still have it for PSX (it was originally a 3D0 game). I've always wanted to remake the Island level, as well as a few others, in Doom or Quake, but the way they were designed makes it extremely hard.

But anyway, Blake Stone had a lot of features I wish Doom and many other games had (allowing you to revisit levels, the ability to talk to people, etc).

To be honest, I don't think the ability to "talk" to people was all that cool, namely because those who wanted to talk got in your way much too often.
The ability to revisit levels would've been ok (but nothing groundbreaking gameplay-wise) if it weren't for the retarded loading times.

I liked the idea of picking up food tokens and using them on vending machines though.

Those features, however, would've totally fucked up Doom imho (except the food tokens) - Doom is imo cool because you're alone (atmosphere) and the level-revisiting feature wouldn't have done anything really - honestly, who wants to backtrack to an already cleared map just for a bunch of ammo packs? Where's the skill and challenge in that?

Anyways, screw it - I don't want to argue, but when somebody says something that strikes me as..let's just say "odd", I usually demand an elaboration to avoid irreversible brain damage.

dsm said:
To be honest, I don't think the ability to "talk" to people was all that cool, namely because those who wanted to talk got in your way much too often.

I wished they said things that were more interesting. Though a nice feature, all they were really good for was giving you food tokens and ammunition.

The ability to revisit levels would've been ok (but nothing groundbreaking gameplay-wise) if it weren't for the retarded loading times.

Blake Stone's loading times are almost nonexistant nowadays.

I liked the idea of picking up food tokens and using them on vending machines though.

Yea, I just wish they hadn't decided to make it so that vending machines would always go out of order after a few uses. I mean wasn't having a limited amount of tokens enough of a limit?

Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance, none of you probably don't even know what the fuck it is, let alone care.

POTGIESSER said:

Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance, none of you probably don't even know what the fuck it is, let alone care.

It's something of a strategy game that's based on Dungeons & Dragons. Am I right?

JamesEightBitStar said:

It's something of a strategy game that's based on Dungeons & Dragons. Am I right?

Yep, if you really can get into it, then you'll have lotsa with it. But that's just like any of these games.

JacKThERiPPeR said:

Quake is the base of all DM characteristics, you know. And the evolution of FPS.

If it can be called an "Evolution" I mean sure it had a new game engine, but Quake (the first one anyway) itself was so half-assed that it makes the Hell Knight look like a stroke of genious.

I mean come ON! "Shotgun, Super Shotgun. Nailgun, Super Nailgun. Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher." Yea, they really busted their brains for weapons. Uh-huh.

And don't even get me started on that danged final boss... what moron thought it would be a good idea to have him get defeated by making the entire thing hinge on wether or not you stepped into a teleporter at the right time? That battle is hard, but for all the wrong reasons.

JamesEightBitStar said:

what moron thought it would be a good idea to have him get defeated by making the entire thing hinge on wether or not you stepped into a teleporter at the right time?

The same moron who thought it would be a good idea to have the final boss get defeated by making the entire thing hinge on whether you step off a rising platform at the right time, probably :P

Fredrik said:

The same moron who thought it would be a good idea to have the final boss get defeated by making the entire thing hinge on whether you step off a rising platform at the right time, probably :P

Actually, you can shoot at him while the platform is rising as well. I tend to take both shots--one while going up, another while going down. That's no problem. playing guessing games with a teleporter where a wrong guess will probably kill you is a whole new ball game.

Just recently, I was knocked into that teleporter by a Shambler's melee attack. It just so happened that it was in the correct place, and the game was over. I don't remember any way in Doom 2 where you can accidently win the game like that.

JamesEightBitStar said:

Actually, you can shoot at him while the platform is rising as well.

Woah, I never knew that.

That's no problem. playing guessing games with a teleporter where a wrong guess will probably kill you is a whole new ball game.

Weird, I never play "guessing games" with it, I just check where the flying thing is, and when it's at the right spot I run into the teleporter.