Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goliath

Best FPS for N64 and Dreamcast.

Just answer the question!!!

I would have to say Perfect Dark for N64, on my top ten all time list.

Aww man, even narrowed down I have no idea where to begin. And on a side note: if the control methods are similar, do you count third-person shooters?

I've always loved Goldeneye, in fact I find that it's better (gameplay-wise) than Perfect Dark. PD overdid things in my opinion, and would have been better if they found some way to kick up the framerate a bit. Goldeneye on the other hand, rarely slowed down (unless you were playing with cheats and launching lots of rockets at a wall). I also thought the controls in Goldeneye were a bit more fluid. The only thing I miss when going to GE is the quick-weapon menu.

On the Dreamcast, I only played one shooter, and it was third-person - MDK 2.

Perfect Dark had the cinematics and cool engine, Goldeneye had the funner levels and infinite enemies in some levels. I can't choose between the two.

Coopersville said:

funner

lol....any way how can you say goldeneye had better levels, that is like Satan worship or liking Bush. Anyway if you like a really good 3rd person that is like a fps than sure you can post it.

both pd and 007 had their ups and downs, personally i'd put em at a tie.

Most people will tell you that Goldeneye had better levels than Perfect Dark (and they'd be right). Best fps on n64 IMO is a tie between Goldeneye and Turok. Perfect Dark definitly had the best gfx of any N64 game though. It's amazing what they managed to do with the N64, despite the crappy frame rate.

DaJuice said:

Most people will tell you that Goldeneye had better levels than Perfect Dark (and they'd be right). Best fps on n64 IMO is a tie between Goldeneye and Turok.

Word.

Typing of the dead!

n64:

1. Perfect Dark
2. Turok
3. Turok 2

back then the N64 was THE console system for FPS and Platformers. hands down. truly an underrated system, nothing pisses me off more than when people say "it was a waste of money".

I'd have to go with Goldeneye. Perfect dark is a close second.

My main issue with PD was that they seemed to be trying too hard to emulate Goldeneye and it just didnt work. The weapons were too unbalanced IMO. The RPC 120 in particular was stupidly powerful and had almost pinpoint accuracy, not to mention the enormous clip and cloaking device. Also the levels werent much fun to speedrun (as opposed to Goldeneye).

Goldeneye had some memorable multiplayer stages in it i.e. the library (stack + basement), the caves, and the temple (the default ones by the way). It had some downs in it as well like the inability to hold double weapons in multiplayer and no 4-player support on the later stages (bunker, archives, water caverns, and the Egyptian temple).
The animation was somewhat poorly done too. No moving-when-crouched animation, the glitched (but hilarious to see) rapid movement of the arms and head when rapidly strafing while looking up, and no 3rd person melee animation.

Perfect Dark had most of those glitches fixed, except there was still no 3rd party melee animation in multiplayer mode (combat simulator). I liked the idea how they improved and reintroduced some of the classic stages. Too bad there were only three of them. I would have liked seeing an improved version of the library. I like some of the other stages as well (G5 Building, Grid [The Matrix stage], Ruins, Ravine...). The big increase of available weapons to choose from was a good addition as well.
The simulants are decent at times, but their ability to punch/disarm someone from 6 feet away is a real letdown, and it gets extremely frustrating...

But anyway, I guess Perfect Dark gets my vote too.

I honestly believe the most polished and most wellmade fps of the N64 was 007: The World is Not Enough. It didn't have the memorablilty of being first as GoldenEye did, so commercially it passed without incident; had it been released during the system's prime rather than being one of the dead-last titles made, it would have been held in much higher regard.

If not TWINE for doing so well with a movie license (*props* for that alone - really - a lot of the filler content was pulled off flawlessly and with 35% less SUCK than the leading brand.) then Turok 3 for doing so well with animation (especially human faces) and accomplishing so much onscreen with just 8MB of RAMBUS DRAM.

"Graphics blah-blah-blah" - Of course the later generation stuff will ride all the successes and failures of previous generation code but I stand positive also that both games played as well as they looked. Nintendo really got it right that time with the N64 gamepad, barely-argueably the finest gamepad you could ask for with a shooter. Maybe an analogue C-Stick replacing the C-keys and two extra shoulder buttons would be the only improvements necessary; I don't see how the 'Cube could have veered so far from that near-perfect design next to jacking in entirely.

GoldenEye = N64
Dreamcast = Who cares. The only good game for DreamCast was House of the Dead 2 and a few Sonic games.

I haven't played any DC fps games, and most of the FPS games on N64 sucked. Doom64 is awesome, though.

Goldeneye was a great game. The four player support made it a great game to get together and play. Everyone would play that game...

Doom 64 and Hexen are obvious choices.

Turok 1 and 2 were really good games. Only played 3 once. The series did quite a few impressive things given the limitations of the console. The weapons all had a good feel to them as well, they were fun to shoot and quite varied. I think that these games have the best weapons out of any I have seen in any FPS so far.

S1lent said:

GoldenEye = N64
Dreamcast = Who cares. The only good game for DreamCast was House of the Dead 2 and a few Sonic games.

You don't like Doom then? :P

NiGHTMARE said:

You don't like Doom then? :P

I like doom, but I like it MORE for PC and PSX. GoldenEye is an N64 legend though. It's what most people think of when they think of N64 (other than Mario or MarioKart)

Doom64
Goldeneye
Turok series

That's about all that comes to mind, really. I never did the chance to play Perfect Dark.

1. Turok (Only FPS I've ever played with action as good as Doom's)
2. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye (tie)
3. Turok 2

Turok 3 . . . what a fucking dissappointment.

I just liked the speed of the guns and overal game play for PD. Im a futuristic kinda person.