Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Job

Daily News 4: Benjamin Franklin Finally Proven Correct & Singaporians Love PAC-ing

3 1/2 Tons of Pennies Brought in to Be Changed
Benjamin Franklin's old addage, "a penny saved is a penny earned", was finally proven true when 78 year old Eugen Sukie cashed in pennies saved over three decades. Coinstar Inc. offered an additional $1,500 for the rights to his story, making the grand total more than $11,000. More on this story here

Singapore PAC-ers Innovate New
By incorporating LAN and Bluetooth technology, Dr. Adrian Cheok and his team developed a portable virtual reality "suit". Consisting of a backpack and a pair of goggles, a person can relive their old arcade experiences in "real" life. Some of the highlights of this is the incorporation of multiplayer interaction. And, as always, the military is looking into implementing this technology into training exercises. More on this story here

Heh.
You'd be surprised how much having change around can help. One time, I decided to scrounge my entire apartment (which I'd been in for 3 months) for coin, and came up with about $110.

Just the other day I did the same thing and had just enough to buy a carton of cheapo cigarettes.

Csonicgo said:

oh, I have tons of pennies. time to go to coinstar.

coinstar charges money to sort your money

Danarchy said:

I have an ass full of pennies.

(obscure reference)

Upright Citizens Brigade.

ravage said:

coinstar charges money to sort your money

ugh, I hate Coinstar. Like you said, they charge you money (something like 9% of what you put in) to simply change the form of your money. You used to be able to do this at banks for FREE, but magically banks don't seem to do this anymore. Makes you wonder if Coinstar paid banks to take those machines out so they'd have a monopoly on this market. Hmm...

It's outrageous that it's come to this in the first place, and the fact that the charges are so steep makes it even worse. Isn't capitalism great?

Yeah, considering he already had it in rolls, the sensible thing to do would have been to cash it in at a bank.