Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Favorite game of 2004:

What do you thing was the best game released this year?

It should go without saying that if you don’t like any games that fall into that category, it would be silly to post on a thread like this. Anyway, to get things underway:

San Andreas. Because it huge, and it’s got buggies, and lots of airplanes, and highways, and pushbikes, and I can make Carl look like Vincent from pulp fiction, and Terminator 2 refinances, and the truth, and police bikes, and those four wheel bikes, and pimp mobiles, and a crazy government guy, and military bases, and swordfights and hovercrafts, sawn-off shotguns and jet fighters, and a mountain, and a desert, and k-jah west, and radio X and K Dst, and lots of other stuff that I can’t think of off the top of my head. So yeah. It’s good. Game of the year 2004 as far as I’m concerned.

I havent played a game that was released this year yet. I'll play them next year.

well how about doom III, fallowed by halo 2 and half-life 2. havn't payed SA yet, but if it is like the other i may not like it.

Top 10 Favorite Games of 2004
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (I'm a big MGS fan :D)
2. Half-Life 2
3. Half-Life Back Order series
4. Doom 3
5. Halo 2
6. Call of Duty + Expansion
7. UT2k4
8. Rise of Nations + Expansion
9. FarCry
10. Full Spectrum Warrior

I might buy World of WarCraft. If it's as good as people keep telling me, it might be right up there with Half-Life.

I havent played that many games this year but Burnout 3 definitly gets my Racing Game of the year.That game rocks your boxers off.

Lizardcommando said:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is my favorite game of 2004. To anyone who hasn't played it, do so now!

don't own a system that can play it. unless it is out for x-box or PC. just like i want to play metroid prime, but cant, as i dont own a game cube. i am not gonna buy a system for 1 game.

S1lent said:

8. Rise of Nations + Expansion

good choice, but it was released in 2003...the XP in '04, but I wouldn't count an XP in this.

My votes go to BF:V and UT2k4

Sephiroth said:

don't own a system that can play it. unless it is out for x-box or PC. just like i want to play metroid prime, but cant, as i dont own a game cube. i am not gonna buy a system for 1 game.

Well gee, I wasn't expecting anyone to actually buy a system just for one game. Although, there are several great games for the PS2 that just came out...

I have played Halo 2, and in my own opinion, it wasn't exactly GOTY material. It's not worth all the super hype it was recieving. It was more on the level of 4-4.5/5. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Quast said:

good choice, but it was released in 2003...the XP in '04, but I wouldn't count an XP in this.

Oops, my bad. I forgot to check the dates on those :) But they're still good games!

Lizardcommando said:

Well gee, I wasn't expecting anyone to actually buy a system just for one game.

I did, I bought the PS2 just so I could play MGS2 :)

Although, there are several great games for the PS2 that just came out...

And these games would not include KillZone in any way.

I have played Halo 2, and in my own opinion, it wasn't exactly GOTY material. It's not worth all the super hype it was recieving. It was more on the level of 4-4.5/5. But hey, that's just my opinion.

You're one in a million friend. Halo 2 was a major hit in the XBOX community, though it doesn't compare to Doom III or HL2. It might be D3 in replay value and MP, but that would be about it.

My choice for favorite game(s) of 2004 are Alien Hominid and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes for the GC. I haven't played very many recent PC titles, especially since my gaming PC can't run either Half-Life 2 or Doom 3.

I'd say it's a fairly close tie between Doom III and Dragonball Z Budokai 3.

For Christmas, I asked for a PC game that falls into the "Adventure" or "Platformer" category that is supposed to be good. I don't know what my chances are, but they look grim.

Games that rank quite highly are:

- Gish
- Half-Life 2
- Dawn Of War
- San Andreas

I've yet to play Metroid Prime 2 or Rome: Total War, yet I have a feeling they'll be high up on the list.

Job said:

Dragonball Z Budokai 3.

My friend got that game a few days ago. Though there seems to be a bug, when trying to play as Brolly in Dragon Universe, you appear as Goku and you are flying low and are able to fly through the ground and water, unable to go to destinations. I think it's either a bug with the CD or something rather.

Any ways, it's fun to just go SSJ4 off the bat and do a good 5500 to them with one move. :D Health metre go Boom!

Oh, and I have no games from 2004.

Probably World of Warcraft. I haven't actualy played it yet, but I sat there for like 2 hours Saturday night watching my friend play it. I realised it was 11:30 and was like "shit, I should be getting home". I'd say Doom 3 and Halo 2 tie for second place.

Half-life 2, despite the bugs and the sometimes horrible performance. But it's not a good sign that I rate Half-life 2 as the best game of 2004, since the other ones were quite boring and I had to pick HL2. Not that it's a bad game, but I expected more.

It's a toss-up between Doom3 and HL2 for me. Cant narrow it down much further. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow would go somewhere on that list as well.

On the other hand, the two WORST games I played this year were manhunt and Silent Hill 4. Manhunt is easily the worst of the two, but SH4 was a huge letdown, besides just being a lousy game.

Of the 3 candidates:

Doom3 <--Looked great, played great
Half-Life 2 <--Looked good, played mostly like a boring chore (Melee monster fest)
FarCry <--Looked great, played good

I choose Doom3.

Shaviro said:

Half-Life 2 <--Looked good, played mostly like a boring chore (Melee monster fest)

Come to think of it, most of the monsters were melee only. How annoying. Plus it was full of bugs on release. Ones which STILL haven't been fixed. Smells like a rushed release.

Mine would be:

1- Doom 3.
2- Dawn of War
3- Half Life 2
4- UT 2K4
5- LoK: Defiance

I only played 2 games originated from the year 2004. Doom3 and Far Cry. And i liked Far Cry better.

PC: Thief 3
PS2: Ratchet and Clank 3
Gamecube: Metroid Prime 2
X-Box: Knights of the Old Republic 2*

* I haven't played it and I don't have an X-Box, but it's bound to be ;)

I went through HL2, and after a few days went back to DOOM 3. I'm amazed at how good DOOM 3 is. The production value is SO HIGH. And outside of shader effects and facial animation, DOOM 3 looks significantly better than HL2.

It's just a fantastic, fantastic production. Between those two, it's close, but I side with DOOM 3.