Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Christianity in Action

Danarchy said:

*sigh*

For the last time, there is nothing in the 10 Commandments that said they did anything wrong. They just violated several of Jesus's teachings, perpetrated a couple of the 7 sins, and went far beyond common decency is all. :/

"Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away." -St. Matthew, Chapter 5 v.42

Janderson said:

That's not a commandment.

"Neither shall thou desire...any THING that IS thy neighbor's." Deuteronomy 5 v.21

Plato said:

"Neither shall thou desire...any THING that IS thy neighbor's." Deuteronomy 5 v.21

Both of those quotes had to be written by Jewish lawyers. Too much jargon for this yid's liking.

Plato said:

Ok, right, I understand that you've read the Bible, but what does THAT quote prove?

Gokuma said:

Jesus is one of the two greatest conartists in all of history.

Based on the Old Testament he did what he needed to do for people to believe he was a messiah and even had a guy following him posing as the prophet Alija. It's pretty easy when people want to believe. Also, Muslims are probably right about him getting Simon to be crucified in his place.

What's sickeningly ironic and hilarious now that I think of it, is when I was reading Lord of the Flies back in high school. We were taught that this character who got killed, Simon, was a Christ figure. With him just happening to be named Simon, I wonder if it was actually an allusion to what most likely really happened by the author.

Then the Old Testament is just a giant load of shit in the first place. The End.

I'm not saying that there's nothing, but these three related major religions certainly aren't it.

Janderson said:

Ok, right, I understand that you've read the Bible, but what does THAT quote prove?

The nuns _desire_ enrollments of new converts by using the poor peoples' need of food and supplies. The nuns want their confession of faith in exchange for the goods they are offering. They are simply taking advantage of people in dire straits, clearly breaking that commandment.

Gokuma said:

Also, Muslims are probably right about him getting Simon to be crucified in his place.

I thought that was the Gnostics?

Gokuma said:

Based on the Old Testament he did what he needed to do for people to believe he was a messiah and even had a guy following him posing as the prophet Alija. It's pretty easy when people want to believe. Also, Muslims are probably right about him getting Simon to be crucified in his place.

What's sickeningly ironic and hilarious now that I think of it, is when I was reading Lord of the Flies back in high school. We were taught that this character who got killed, Simon, was a Christ figure. With him just happening to be named Simon, I wonder if it was actually an allusion to what most likely really happened by the author.

Then the Old Testament is just a giant load of shit in the first place. The End.

I'm not saying that there's nothing, but these three related major religions certainly aren't it.

As much as we may dislike christianity, judaism, or islam, they are still faiths nonetheless. It's very improtant that faith be respected, now more than any other time because there's so little of it. All us atheists and agnostics have to go on as to our dislike of other religions is opinion and hearsay - just like every other system of belief, personal or otherwise. Really, what makes us so different from them? Nothing - other than teh fact that they're a lot more organised than we are.

pilottobombadier said:

It's very improtant that faith be respected, now more than any other time because there's so little of it.

Actually right now I think less than ever. It's true these religions serve some purpose, give some people piece of mind, keep some people in line, and I have nothing to offer instead of them. But right now they are fucking too much up, so screw it. They need to go into remission, most of all Christianity. Judeism and Islam mostly keep to themselves except when they've been messed with or are fighting each other, but Christianity just has to go and fuck everyone over. Right now, Christianity is fucking us all over. It was certainly a major factor in the latest sham of an election. Christianity is in our faces every day lying through its teeth regardless of whether or not the messengers have any clue they're full of shit. I hate being lied to. Why should I give them the respect they deny others? They don't even listen to reason and cold hard facts. What people need is honesty (but not the recent violations of privacy), ethnics mixed with morality that isn't so warped, and honor.

Plato said:

The nuns _desire_ enrollments of new converts by using the poor peoples' need of food and supplies. The nuns want their confession of faith in exchange for the goods they are offering. They are simply taking advantage of people in dire straits, clearly breaking that commandment.

I get that, but your first passage is not a commandment and your secend passage is a commandment that has nothing to do with the situation. Christians have their own religion, why would they want someone else's?

Pilotbombadier said:

... they are a lot more organised than we are.

How? Most of the laws written in the Bible and other holy books have been placed as laws we must abide by today. If anything religion messes stuff up. If an atheist is attacked in the street and its a kill or die situation the athiest can follow heir instincts. A (strict) christian would have to figure out if killing in self defence is a hellable offence.

To be honest I don't know if the example above is accurate I haven't seen a Bible for a while, but judging by Natural Law, Catagorical Imperative and other christian morality codes are pretty messed up and confusing.

Don't get me wrong Utilitarianism is a dick too.

Janderson said:

I get that, but your first passage is not a commandment and your secend passage is a commandment that has nothing to do with the situation. Christians have their own religion, why would they want someone else's?

How? Most of the laws written in the Bible and other holy books have been placed as laws we must abide by today. If anything religion messes stuff up. If an atheist is attacked in the street and its a kill or die situation the athiest can follow heir instincts. A (strict) christian would have to figure out if killing in self defence is a hellable offence.

To be honest I don't know if the example above is accurate I haven't seen a Bible for a while, but judging by Natural Law, Catagorical Imperative and other christian morality codes are pretty messed up and confusing.

Don't get me wrong Utilitarianism is a dick too.

That's becaue every contradiction in the bible is made when one of the "apostles" or whatever is explaining how we should live our lives.

And you have to remember, Bush isn't a Christian, he's a Mason. The Masonic order only pretends to Christianity.

I'm not saying that Christianity's great or anything, what I am saying is that some of our viewpoints towards Christians is pot-calling-the-kettle crap. I mean, atheism, my chosen viewpoint of the universe, apparently has a lot of hypocrisy involved with it. So does every other religion.

And the problem with Christianity is the same problem with Islam in developing nations and Judaism in Israel - you have a bunch of religious zealots who run the place and want to kill off anyone who doesn't agree with their ideals, thus turning their own religions into master-race philosophies. And some have even come over to North America, like the Jewish bastard-child called Zionism. And there are definitely more good christians than bad; I've only met a handful of the bad - and yes, they are indeed vile. And unfortunately, education is not going to change this, only re-education.

I think that a more scientific view of religious scriptures has to be taken - to a certain degree, at least, because faith isn't considered rational - because there's the teachings of Moses and Abraham and Jesus, and then there's everyone else pretending to follow that belief turning the teachings themselves into a very dangerous game of Broken Telephone.

Janderson said:

Please read my reply once again, that commandment has everything to do with those peoples' behavior. The verse from St. Matthew is just to show how Christians should act towards their fellowmen, in fullfillment of that specific commandment. To give freely to others, especially when people are in dire need of help. Not to covet others' possessions or be jealous of others, not to mention trying to extract confessions of faith through using peoples' unfortunate circumstances. The commandment says *any thing*, not just material things.

pilottobombadier said:

That's becaue every contradiction in the bible is made when one of the "apostles" or whatever is explaining how we should live our lives.

In Genesis too even?