Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

How to Be Emo

gatewatcher said:

I like how as soon as bands start making money, they all of the sudden suck.

This is true of the opposite too.
Exodus is well known, but they still go around doing all these Nightclub venues and spending most of their money. And yet... They still totally rip! Their new album is as good as their first.
*DOES THE TOXIC WALTZ*

"Underground" bands are bands that were either looking to be, or were never good enough to be signed, and where exactly did you hear that Corey blew out his cords?

And also, "true?" Please explain what being true has to do with the music you produce?

Janderson said:

"Underground" bands are bands that were either looking to be, or were never good enough to be signed

sure couldn't have been the fact that some genres have such small fanbases that few record labels would sign these bands because it woudln't be profitable, huh?

and where exactly did you hear that Corey blew out his cords?

i heared it somewhere, i forget. must have been wrong i guess, which just makes the situation worse.

And also, "true?"

"true"ness is an abstract essense of absolute opposition to fads and pop-culture.

Please explain what being true has to do with the music you produce?

uh well i don't produce music. when did i say this?

MasterOfPuppets said:

sure couldn't have been the fact that some genres have such small fanbases that few record labels would sign these bands because it woudln't be profitable, huh?

Perhaps if they were better more people would like them.

"true"ness is an abstract essense of absolute opposition to fads and pop-culture.

So you need to hate all modern fads to be classed as true, huh?

uh well i don't produce music. when did i say this?

Never said you did, I should have used the word they then. The question still stands.

Janderson said:

So you need to hate all modern fads to be classed as true, huh? The question still stands.

not exactly. its a very abstract ideal and its dependant on perspective. in the context i first said it, Slipknot is not true by my very underground black metal and death metal opinion, just like some band might not be "true" emo to another person

Perhaps if they were better more people would like them.

popularity does not equal quality, thats all there is too it. again, black metal as an example.

black metal is a hard genre to get in to. i had Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse for about a year, and never liked it much. but after awhile of listenning to death metal and melo-death metal, such as Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, etc, i began to find harder stuff like Behemoth and Deicide - brutal death metal, as i've seen it subcatagorized. after getting myself a bit proffessed in that, i happened back upon Emperor. suddenly, it clicked in my head like it never had before. i saw it in a way it never had before, and understood it, and enjoyed it. now, black metal is my forte.

seeing as how i pretty much had to go on a journy to understand black metal, its easy to see why it has such a small fanbase. especially when you consider most people listen to music causually, and probably don't go looking for new stuff or explore their tastes.

Whowever on the forum said that all underground bands were crap is surely arrogant and has little knowledge on music. Death metal is not "trendy" music and does not conform to what people allways want to hear but it is metal in its purest form. I agree with masterofpuppets saying how you get into less brutal bands like deicide and children of bodom (who i hate lol!!) then move onto brutal shit (for example my favorite bands are necrotic disgorgement, vomit reminants, devourment, cineary, internal suffering e.t.c) so thanks masterofpuppets for explaining death metal to the uneducated ;-)

MastofPuppets you seeing behemoth in london this year with hate eternal and incantation?

MacWadMaker said:

This is true of the opposite too.
Exodus is well known, but they still go around doing all these Nightclub venues and spending most of their money. And yet... They still totally rip! Their new album is as good as their first.
*DOES THE TOXIC WALTZ*

Dude exodus's first album is fucking ace and tempo of the dammed is good comeback BUT a lot of the mid-way albums didn't have what the others had. Im assuming your a testament fan macwadmaker?

PumpkinSmasher speaks the truth. Most extreme metal is a bit of an acquired taste. Many death, black, and thrash metal bands lack the poppy "hooks" to become mainstream. While some people, such as Janderson, view this as a downfall, many of the devoted metal followers really, really enjoy it.

I like all sorts of music, including pop. But there is some really, really bad pop music on the market. Why did it suceed then? Because they knew somebody in the business or had to give out some blowjobs to record execs. If you truely want to succeed in the music industry and are willing to whore yourself out in every way and avenue possible, then chances are you will make it - with only just a shred of talent... just as long as it's marketable and some poor schmuck will buy it.

It just comes down to the saying "To each their own". So why bother judging?

BlackAsDaNight said:

assuming your a testament fan

I like late 80's early 90's metal, thrash, grunge, rock and thrap(thrash-rap... Anthrax, Public Enemy, Body Count...) Exodus, Testament, Slayer, MetallicA, Iron Maiden, Gwar, PanterA... And on and on...

BlackAsDaNight said:

...my favorite bands are necrotic disgorgement, vomit reminants, devourment, cineary, internal suffering e.t.c...

are you a fan of wormed?

Janderson said:

"Underground" bands are bands that were either looking to be, or were never good enough to be signed

Bullshit. There's damn good bands that refuse to sign with major labels.

Gokuma said:

Bullshit. There's damn good bands that refuse to sign with major labels.

Amen to that!!

Yes jute gyte Wormed are fucking ace, you like Misery Index and Severe torture e.t.c? See I thought there would be some brutal dm fans on a very metal computer game forum :-D

Janderson said:

Wow, that has to be the most ignorant thing I've heard in a long time. There are plenty of great underground bands. Popularity only has to do with what label a band is signed to and how much they advertise. Actualy, it's mostly the former.

Damn, I can't believe you got me agreeing with a bunch of metalheads.

If it's any consolation, I wasn't attacking death metal. I know and respect it, but... refuse to be signed? Sounds like saying; "Single and proud" to me.

I never realized sucking corporate dick was as desirable as being with a beautiful woman. My priorities must be all screwed up.

Do you have any idea how many bands have been screwed by labels where they end up making less than your average retail clerks, or sometimes with a particularly nasty contract end up owing the label?

And to be honest no, I don't. The only bands I've met have only been looking to "make it." I believe this phrase means to be signed right?

And what I meant by the comparison is there are a lot of people who can't get a date who say they are single and proud as if it's the reason why.

I don't see how taking it in the ass from The Man is preferable to sucking corporate dick in terms of "musical integrity". If someone's going to be seXorzing teh me in any way, I damn well expect to be rewarded for it.

Moreover: if I make it in the music industry, yes, I'm doing it out of a pure desire to make music. But more than that it'd be WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING, and as such I'm aiming to get paid as much as possible for what I do. Because I'm the best there is, fucker.

Numbermind said:

I don't see how taking it in the ass from The Man is preferable to sucking corporate dick in terms of "musical integrity". If someone's going to be seXorzing teh me in any way, I damn well expect to be rewarded for it.

hahaha

In that case just remember to set your price high. The goods seem to be more desirable to people when they seem to be of an upper class price range.

Janderson said:
but... refuse to be signed? Sounds like saying; "Single and proud" to me.

Yes; refuse to be sign an agreement that appropriates your work. If you don't refuse those, you can't sign any agreements that'll really allow you to do your work with dignity and autonomy.

And just clearing minimum wage too I bet.

Which is a good thing. Bands, actors, sports people, they don't deserve millions for performing their hobbies. So whether they are unsigned and getting paid lunch money or "sucking corprate dick" (how about eating corporate pussy?) I'm happy. :)

EDIT:

popularity does not equal quality

Oh yea, I should have picked this up.

Since the quality of music is determined by our individual tastes, unless recorded inside a tin can, we can assume that the more people like it the better quality it is.

Emo.. just another dumb high school clique.

I don't see why people have to dress a certain way to fit in, I dress the way I like, cause I like the clothes... Jeans, t-shirts.

I grew up in a small town, but I live in the city now. I'm sure glad that I didn't go to highschool in the city because the kids these days are fucked in the head.