Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

New Orleans = Fucked

Your celebrations are a bit premature. The cities I mentioned are some of the few there are any news reports coming out of whatsoever. Roads are blocked, land lines are down, and many cel towers are down. There are many areas that no one has been able to reach yet, and aerial survielance has been minimal as far as I know.

Aerial survielance has revealed that there has been a levee break in a suburb to the East of New Orleans caled the 9th Ward, ans also out into St. Bernard arish. Many people are trapped on the roofs of their homes there and there have been reports of bodies floating around there, and some fires have been recorded.

http://www.stormtrack.org/special/katrina-damage.gif

Some rescue operations occured today, but they should begin in ernest tomorrow.

Check CNN/NBC/FOX/BBC for updates.

Also, as a correction to my previous post, the town of Biloxi is in Mississippi, not Louisiana.

More bad news:

Apparently, there has been another levee breach 2 blocks wide aorund 17th street in the downtown area. The downtaown area is flooding at a rate of 5 inches/minute and increasing. Whitecaps are reported along the streets. Two hospitals are in risk of losing their generators and are being air evacuated.

Aslo, I think that gif I posted in my last post is getting periodicaly updated.

Scuba Steve said:

Man - 1 Mother Nature - 0

You're probably right there. It's the biggest storm to hit for ages, it hits New Mexico forcing oil prices up (= happy Bush) and then it suddenly veers east just short of New Orleans.

Based from what I herd on the news when I was just passing my TV, New Orleans is 80% underwater.

Yes, 80% of the city is now flooded.

The city is under martial law.

The National Guard is being sent in to evacuate the entire city before supplies run out.

Best case scenario will be if they drain the city within 2 weeks. After that, it will probably be months before the city is inhabitable again.

All bridges into the city are totaly destroyed, so the ways out are limited.

Also, in Mobile, Alabama, an entire oil platform was washed ashore and ran aground on a major bridge there (Cochrane Bridge I think it is called). That bridge is shut down until they can figure out how to remove the oil platform.

I don't think there has been a city so utterly destroyed by natural disaster in modern history.

Danarchy said:

I don't think there has been a city so utterly destroyed by natural disaster in modern history.

The people of Banda Aceh might not agree with that. Edit: and Izmit too.

This is clearly a major catastrophe though, even if it isn't quite as bad as it might have been if the city had taken the full force of the storm.

Jeeze! An hour ago I saw live footage of people getting rescued from a rescue chopper from their house roof!

The entire house except the roof was submerged. The chopper was lowering a cage to rescue people one at a time. Pretty extreame stuff, I hope everyone got in ok.

I heard water is continuing to rise at an alarming rate in the new orleans downtown area due to some levee breaks. i dont know, but this sounds as if its becoming as grave of a situation as they originaly thought it would become upon katrina's arrival. just at a slower pace.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

You're probably right there. It's the biggest storm to hit for ages, it hits New Mexico forcing oil prices up (= happy Bush) and then it suddenly veers east just short of New Orleans.

I don't see how that makes it Man 1, Mother nature 0. Man had nothing to do with the direction the storm took. If mother nature really did "want" to devastate any of man's creations she could do it with ease.

My sympathies go out to those caught in this and to the friends and relatives waiting for news. Tell them that man won.

Its sickening. Police have to travel in large packs because there is so much resistance now. It's every man for themselves and by all means hell on earth. It would have almost been better for the flood to destroy everything than to let humanity's lowest common denominators rape and pillage the land.

I think we can chalk this one up in mother nature's collumn.

Dittohead, you don't have to be like that. Just take a boat and join the fun!

Perhaps people have lost their homes and neighborhoods and have no guarantee they will ever see anything like them ever again?

saw this on fox. interesting reading

New Orleans : Basically Totally Fucked
God has had enough and will take no more. New Orleans, a hedonistic paradise of sin and depravity is now sunk beneath twelve feet of rank water. Local Creoles who missed the evacuation because, "We were like, totally stoned, you know?" have been seen on the flooded streets, sailing to safety on giant human turds recently liberated from the destroyed sanitation system. The looters are stealing all the water and the police are powerless to stop them, having all been eaten by giant fire ants in water wings.

The water is polluted by all the dead niggers floating in it. A whale thought to have been dragged in from sea turned out to be local homo-eGothic fiction writer Anne Rice.

God was unavailable for comment.

Dittohead said:

Its sickening. Police have to travel in large packs because there is so much resistance now. It's every man for themselves and by all means hell on earth. It would have almost been better for the flood to destroy everything than to let humanity's lowest common denominators rape and pillage the land.

I think we can chalk this one up in mother nature's collumn.

How sad, I'd wish the police force in those areas were more numerous in times like these, and give them double-barreled shotguns to boot!

Not much new news. Katrina could make even more trouble for New Orleans because its rains are causing flooding which will probably drain into the Ohio River and on down the Mississippi.

Also, I heard rumors that inmates being evacuated from Orleans Parish Penitentiary have overpowered their guards and are holding a guard and his family hostage. The only place I heard this was on Fox, though.

An Alabama congressman said something that made a lot of sense: he reccomends not rebuilding on areas suceptible to hurricane damage. :P

It has been hinted that the entire souther half of Plaquemine Parish has been submerged (the Parish is pretty much just a long pennesula through which the Mississippi runs). I'd like to see sattelite photos to confirm this.

Dittohead said:

You've been watching a lot of Fox News haven't you?

There saying now that the area may not be inhabital for up to 6+ months (cnn) im pretty sure i heard that correctly. there going to bus people out to other areas (like houston) and most people they are expecting will just start up there lives again out of state, sounds like we lost a state to this hurricane, lissouanna. (or 80% of one anyways)

100+ from what I've heard.
Well, I was planning on driving up I-10 back to Texas for Christmas. So much for that. I guess there's still I-20. -_-

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina probably killed thousands of people in New Orleans, the mayor said Wednesday — an estimate that, if accurate, would make the storm the nation's deadliest natural disaster since at least the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hurricane_katrina;_ylt=Asox4x2ekz5f1E3.RYR45Fys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ

Ah now I get it, it's the gays fault

Just days before "Southern Decadence", an annual homosexual celebration attracting tens of thousands of people to the French Quarters section of New Orleans, an act of God destroys the city.
http://www.repentamerica.com/pr_hurricanekatrina.html

The 28 of august is also the birth date of Goethe, so it’s the revenge of God against the man who wrote Faust.
Hahaha!

Looks like a war on global warming, poverty, and poor infrastructure might have been a better idea than a war on terror, eh?

We already had a war on poverty, and it was a failure. It just made poor people criminals.

Fredrik said:

Looks like a war on global warming, poverty, and poor infrastructure might have been a better idea than a war on terror, eh?

Go tell that to the president plz, thx.