Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Microsoft have lost their minds

myk said:

Actually that makes sense in a way, as far as propietary software goes, in regarding the software more as a service than a product.

That sounds pretty paranoid and superficial. The whole (open source) thing works because it relies on an open "community" that contributes to it directly; well duh it's not like you're lving next door or are close blood relatives; it's an online community, not an urban neighborhood.

What I mean is...you know, Linux is one of those things where it's so non-mainstream, it's so cool too have it because you're not conforming to the world...or whatever. Take a look at several distros and look at their motto or slogan.

It's not just Linux, it's the same with airline companies, soda, laundry detergent, your banking company, your grocery store, etc. It's this 'I understand you, I know what you want' mentality that I hate.

I like Linux (except for the way the drive thing is setup. Damn, how many usr, bin folders are there? I suppose I didn't give it enough of a chance?) and I'm not attacking it. I just find it funny how it conforms when it comes to trying to sell itself.

Skeletor said:
It's not just Linux, it's the same with airline companies, soda, laundry detergent, your banking company, your grocery store, etc. It's this 'I understand you, I know what you want' mentality that I hate.

Microsoft does that to the hilt, just try subscribing to one of their MSN services, or visit their sites where everything is Microsoft or MSN; it's like you're locked up in the MSN mental institution. Some of their customers almost think that the "MSN page" is the Internet. So why is that relevant in relation to Linux software? Plus there are various Linux distros and they hardly all take the same attitude in that respect, and you can get any for free (legally), without even caring what they say or about thier slogans, changing the OS almost beyond recognition.

Not so much lost their minds, as wanting to get people to actually pay for Windows. Billions of dollars isn't enough for them already. It's Microsoft, how is this shocking in any way at all? One step closer to the Fritz chip: http://209.157.64.200/focus/news/707684/posts

All we need is the Fritz chip, and censored/filtered internet like the People's Republic of China. Won't be able to steal anything ever again.

Fuck the House of Senate. There, I said it. Congress is so corrupt, er, maybe ignorant these days that it's amazing that they get re-elected. I'm glad that my state's senators have a brain.

Windows sucks anyways. I think in the future, Almost all computers will use Linux, and nobody wants to use windows anymore, and hooray, we drained that rich bastard's money.

DumbSCRIPTguy said:

Windows sucks anyways. I think in the future, Almost all computers will use Linux, and nobody wants to use windows anymore, and hooray, we drained that rich bastard's money.

I doubt that. Unless Microsoft screws up completely or adds some 'features' that make Windows useless people are far too reluctant to change to something else.

I find it amazing how people still don't realize Microsoft is a fucking think-tank of PhD's and extremely savvy engineers in the order of the thousands who have pondered about every "doom" scenario you have ever thought of.

When the Windows closed-source paradigm is no longer profitable for them, they will change it. Linux kernel? Open source "Windows Update"? Free MSDS development license? Whatever gets the shit done, whatever makes them stay afloat, as an extremely powerful (if perhaps not as monolithic as before) player, whatever pays the bills and returns profit.

They're not stupid LOL MICRO$OFT BSOD. Think what you want of their products, of their architectures, but it sure knows how to stay relevant.

Not so much lost their minds, as wanting to get people to actually pay for Windows. Billions of dollars isn't enough for them already.

This is so stupid I don't know how to address it.

The Gates Foundation gives resources to people even more deserving than you or me. He is far more giving than what human sense would dictate.

DumbSCRIPTguy said:

Any vision on how this could possibly happen?

No, the future of computers is NOT typing out six commands just to run a program (and thirty to install).

AndrewB said:

No, the future of computers is NOT typing out six commands just to run a program (and thirty to install).

I sure hope this is a blatant troll and not a serious statement.

THIRTY to install? I had trouble when typing one single command. And about the linux thing, it isnt very popular, but still world will (atleast it will try to) use linux. (Houses dont need windows anyways)

Bloodshedder said:

I sure hope this is a blatant troll and not a serious statement.

It was an exaggeration. Here is the underlying point:

Linux is not mature enough to be a mainstream consumer OS. One of its variants will seriously have to improve in the areas of plug and play and mainstream application support before it stands a chance.

AndrewB said:

One of its variants will seriously have to improve in the [area] of plug and play [...] before it stands a chance.

Plug an Xbox controller into a computer running Windows and see if it automatically sets it up as a gamepad. Now do the same thing on a linux computer running a kernel that isn't more than a couple years old.

The only hardware in my computer that I had to do any extra work to get running is my TV tuner card. The howto guide I found for compiling the kernel modules was extremely easy to follow. I admit that an average computer user wouldn't know what to do, and laptop support can be a bit shady at times, but device recognition isn't nearly as bad as you may think it is.

exp(x) said:
I admit that an average computer user wouldn't know what to do, and laptop support can be a bit shady at times, but device recognition isn't nearly as bad as you may think it is.

Education does indeed have a lot to do with all this. At school they should teach every child to install and configure their own free operating system, among other things.

AndrewB said:

Linux is not mature enough to be a mainstream consumer OS.

What? It's fully featured, gots all the bells and whistles, and can do everything you need to do on a computer. Windows-only games? Who needs those? Linux is a great bad game filter, where only the good games get officially ported over.

So much ignorance; do yourself a fucking favor and burn a knoppix live cd to try it out.

Linux is obviously better cause it had a native Doom port over a year-and-a-half before Windows did... :-)

gargoylol said:

Windows-only games? Who needs those? Linux is a great bad game filter, where only the good games get officially ported over.

Such as what? A google search of "native linux games" or "linux games" is loltastic. Linux gaming = quake 3 and console emulation at best and even windows emulation at worst.

Bloodshedder said:

Ugh, Cedega fucking sucks. I hate how Transgaming advertised that Tron 2.0 runs on it even though it doesn't. I wouldn't have any problem with them if it wasn't for the fact that they charge money. Go with Wine, instead. It has been making a bunch of improvements lately. Hell, Serious Sam runs better on Wine than it does on Cedega.

Quast said:

Such as what? A google search of "native linux games" or "linux games" is loltastic. Linux gaming = quake 3 and console emulation at best and even windows emulation at worst.

ut2k4 has a linux version too, as well as all of id software's latest non-celluar games.

If I can port all of my classic Dos games, I'll switch.

It crashes with anything more complex than Duke Nukem 2 (personal experience).

I'm able to play Worms with DOSBox just fine. But, no matter. Your personal experience doesn't relate the DOSBox version, your operating system, what you tried to resolve the problem, etc., so it's basically useless.

I can run Blood and even Quake at very playable framerates (20-40+) on dosbox even without a crash.

Bloodshedder said:

I'm able to play Worms with DOSBox just fine. But, no matter. Your personal experience doesn't relate the DOSBox version, your operating system, what you tried to resolve the problem, etc., so it's basically useless.

Yeah, and I could tell you all three of those things, but I don't feel like it.

gargoylol said:

ut2k4 has a linux version too, as well as all of id software's latest non-celluar games.

And neverwinter nights, I notice. None, except that, I play on any regular basis anyway. So I think I'll stick with windows.

gargoylol said:

Clearly the platform has everything you will ever need in the form of entertainment.

Yeah, I'll "switch" to Linux when Windows itself comes with a parallel kernel. Chances are I won't need it any sooner (and this comes from someone coding in Python for cross-platform development).

I love how a sarcastic comment about Linux zealotism turned into a Microsoft vs Linux argument.

Anyway, for all of those people with "bad experiences with Linux" should try out an Ubuntu or Knoppix live CD. It's a lot harder to screw up a Linux installation nowadays than say... 1997, when my brother screwed up a Red Hat installation on our computer and wiped out half of the FAT partition, which included a Duke3d level I was working on (and enjoying).

I mean, classmates in my college course were able to install a base Debian installation with ease last Friday without instructions, and none of them had any prior Linux experience whatsoever (apart from myself, and I was asked a grand total of two questions).

Zaldron said:

This is so stupid I don't know how to address it.

You mean it's too intelligent for your stupidity to give it a coherent response.