Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Doctor Who is the shit

Tonight's episode was stormin'. Fantastic end to a bloody good series. Roll on Christmas!

I think it's great how Davies effectively told every fan that's moaned about the Doctor having a love interest just how mean they are by saying he shouldn't. The Doctor's the last of his race and very much alone, so why shouldn't he have someone like that?

Pity about the deus ex machina with Pete showing up to save Rose in the nick of time. At least they've wrapped up every plot line with Rose's presence on earth and can move forward next season.

So, the Impossible Planet is on in the United States on SCI FI at 8pm EST. That's the episode everyone is crazy about at the bottom of the first page in this thread, and is heavily referential to Doom/Doom 3. I remember thinking while reading this thread 5 months back--I hope someone reminds me to watch it when this episode is on in North America! Who know that it would be me doing the reminding.

yeah, it was a nice and doomy. I loved that part where the archeologist guy was lookin at the shards and the voice of the beast was creepin up behind him and teasing him. that was sick.

Almost finished watching Season 1. I gotta say, The Empty Child is a pretty weird and worthy episode to watch too. Can't wait to pick up the second season, the 2 doomy episodes are still the fave :p

Saw it, liked it. Wanna know when it gets concluded, doesnt seem to be airing next week.

fodders said:

The spin off, Torchwood is pretty good

I'd go with just decent myself. Fun diversion, but not worth much else.

<obvious>The christmas episode will air in a month</obvious> :-D

fodders said:

The spin off, Torchwood is pretty good

Yeah, I'm enjoying that too. Some of the writing I thought was a bit clumsy. My thoughts:

[spoilers to follow]

Episode #1 Gwen joins Torchwood but is too incredulous for too long about all the things she sees. Too disbelieving etc. The program is going to be watched by Sci-fi geeks so the target audience does not need its hand held about these things. We do not need every piec of blindingly obvious "techy" kit explained to us via Gwen like we are some kind of dimwits. It really wore thin with me. Also I dunno about you, but if I'd been taken in by an organisation and had pretty convincing evidence that they were investigating aliens, that aliens existed and that alien technology was in the hands of Torchwood, I don't think I'd still be giving it the big "I don't believe it", "That's impossible", "You can't do that" crap for as long as Gwen was.

Episode #2 A little of the same from the above persisted. Gwen is now well in with Torchwood and knows their capabilities yet is still amazed at their "illegal" access to MI5 files (or whatever) and still needs kit explained. The story itself was OK but not outstanding (sex mad alien gas)

Episode #3 (device that allows you to see emotions from the past) Cracking episode. A little clunky in places but great stuff.

Episode #4 (Cyberwoman) could have worked but fell flat for me for a number of reasons:

Ianto has been too quiet and reliable up to this point to suddenly be this over-emotional, unstable, love crazed fool doing incredibly ill advised things behind the teams' back.

The cyber woman was "sexed up". OK, I know her appearance was "explained" but I personally think it would have been better if she had been less human - perhaps no face visible or some hideous melding of metal and flesh (rather than a kinked up fit bird in a metal gimp suit). To see Ianto still wanting to get jiggy with something like that would have been far more disturbing and moving IMO. And since when did the version of Cyberman feet with heels get introduced? At least Lisa's incomplete conversion gave a bit more credibility to the leader of Torchwood 1 still retaining her personality in Dr Who.

However, I lost count of how often someone held a gun to someones head, threatening to shoot them, and then simply didn't. There must have been minute after minute of stand-off with no-one having the balls to pull a trigger. It really started to piss me off after a while. It was just done too often and ceased to be a credible threat. I dunno, maybe they were underlining how big a deal it is to blaze off with a gun in the UK or something, compared to US shows but I just found it tiresome. The point was made but the characters (and situation) are homo-fictus, let's get on with it shall we?

Episode #5 (Faeries) Loved it, start to finish - the nature of the Fae, the "fact" that they were old and only semi-inexplicable, the Capt. Jack back story and his sweetheart. Great. My fave so far. Only minor quibbles which I can't remember.

Episode #6 (Country Club) Pretty good. It still suffered a bit from people pointing guns at heads and then not pulling the trigger but it was a pretty grim story. What I liked about it was that the Torchwood people are used to chasing aliens etc etc and so they automatically assumed what they were chasing was alien. I think it was portrayed quite well the shock that it gave them to find that the evil this time was of human making. You don't need the big bad to come from outer space: we have the capability right here.

Also, I love the fact that it's in Cardiff. I get fed up with every TV show having "cheeky cockneys" and estuary accents. My god! They've discovered a part of the UK outwith Greater London. Who knows what might happen next? Soon you'll be telling me that Darth Vader was really from Bristol or something. ;)

It pissed me off with the first series of Dr. Who. The number of letters and smug, sarky comments I saw from people along the lines of "The Doctor has all of time and space to visit, so why does he keep going to Cardiff?" OK, the question is a fair one (I've been to Cardiff (actually, I liked it)) but hang on - keep going? IIRC 2 episodes were set there whereas nearly every episode had some connection to London and a number were exclusively set there. Anyway, BBC Wales are making it and the main writer is Welsh. Good on him for bringing it home.

GooberMan said:

<obvious>The christmas episode will air in a month</obvious> :-D

I'm a bit concerned about the "runaway bride". I don't really like Catherine Tate much anyway and I can't help feeling that her all-too familiar OTT character will jar with the feeling of the Dr Who series. Certainly, that's how it looked from the few seconds we saw at the end of season #2

Torchwood = Gory/Sex-filled doctor who spinoff.

The show barely feels like Who at all, which is good, but it's going to be hard to get use to, espicially with the lack of connection with the show. But it's pretty good so far.

is Torchwood channel specific? Haven't been able to find it yet, or is it another case of 'fuck you Canada' where all we get is Coronation Street <sigh>.

We just now got Who on TV where I live :p

EDIT: Thanks Blackfish. Don't get it here yet. Blah :(

Yay Daleks!!! ^-^ you know in Duetschland they have squeaky voices?
and Fraggle (who wrote fraggle script : b), that vid was hilarious.... ROTFL!

anyways, I liked the old stuff, the first season of the new one is somewhat flat, the guy simply isn't the doctor. the 2nd one is one of the best doctors yet, aside from 1, 2, 3, and especially 4; my favorite ones... (not meaning to line up like that, 1 and 3 are the doctor, vbut two and 4 Pwn.)

anyway, I'm in US right now so I won't get to see any spinoff until after this season is over...

The finale of Torchwood was excellent! it was a two-parter but they showed both episodes together (there wasn't really a cliff-hanger in between the two though). I wont give so much away, except to say that the "Impossible Planet"* monster aint finished yet!

Could have done with a Cameo of Nicholas Lindhurst in the first part though. Well I would have laughed...

And the new spinoff, Sarah Jane Adventures, is pretty good. Its more children-oriented (it was on at like 4:50) and an extremely annoying girl played a major supporting role. Though it looks like she's not going to be a 'main' character, well she kept assuming all the alien stuff she was seeing was hullicinations, even when being almost eaten. K-9 is also in it (In fact, it is a 'second try' at the 1989 spinoff "K-9 & Company" which was cancelled after a single episode) with his arse stuck in a minature black hole to block it. Sarah Jane herself has one of those "retro-look" Nissan Figaro's, but they've tweaked the sound to make it sound like an actual 60's car... Could have just given her a Mini.

*Though now i think about it it may have been a different monster that was also big and had horns...

Well, the creepy old bloke said that Abaddon was "the son of the beast", and the creature in the Dr. Who episode was reffered to as "the beast".

Anyway, I loved the ending of the episode - it totally came out of nowhere.

This is a colossal bump, but i thought it'd be better to carry on the conversation rather than start again. Anybody liking the third (or should that be twenty-ninth?) series yet? I think so far it's been a bit hit & miss actually, the "hospital on the moon" story was just silly, but the Shakespeare and "Huge traffic jam that goes on forever" ones where very good.

The Dalek one didnt appeal to me that much, they where not evil enough! working poor people to death? kidnapping the homeless for sick experiments? beginners stuff! Plus the giant scorpion wasnt that good, but contained a lot of foreshadowing for later, so it may improve with hindsight.

However anybody who was annoyed by Rose should love Martha, she's actually intelligent and can think on her own... much like the assistants from the very early days (like the first two years only, before they became dumb screaming bints)

And... two weeks? for that Eurovision shite? what where they thinking? they ought to just show half an hour of "highlights" (if they can get enough to fill that time!) at 3 in the morning when only both of the people that care will stay up, and leave REAL programmes untouched!

Anyone else think that Saxon bloke (who we finally get to see in the latest episode) could be the Master? According to Russell T. Davies, that big face was both right and wrong about the Doctor not being the last of his kind, so if it's the Master's "essence" in a human body (ala the TV movie), that would fit.

Hm, the Master is the only one of the "big three" villans they havent bought back yet. Well him and Davros, but he apparently died sometime in the late 80's. Then again i have a story from the mid 80's and he died in that too. And one from the mid 70's...