Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

PlayStation 3 launches explosively into Europe

I have no doubt that the PS3 is a fine console. And I have no doubt that the Sony titles will continue to appeal to me. The Sony title lineup has never been the gamer of gamer's choice, but it appeals to me and a lot of my friends.

But I will not spend £500 on a console. No one I know will, not even one of my very wealthy friends who has a bloody xbox installed in his car. It is just too much.

And bluray does nothing to excite. We've heard almost nothing as to why we really need bluray. The marketing has been piss poor.

As a result no one is prepared to buy the ps3 when the wii offers a laugh for £180.

It's a real shame because I've had one in my hands now and it is a really well made product, but Sony is going to have to take bigger losses before the things starts selling, and it's going to be a very long time before they see a profit.

IMO if you refuse to innovate, and insist on the status quo because "it's worked for us so far," then you deserve no sympathy when you get left behind in the dust.

Hobbs said:

RE4 doesn't have mouse support.

Also for reference here are two shots of RE4. Top is PC, bottom is GC. If you think the PC looks better then you need your eyes checked.

I quite agree on that. Yes the graphics on the PC are sharper, but there's virtually no lighting in the PC screenshot. It looks like it's running on software mode. RE4 works very well on console, I really don't think it would work very well on a PC, especially with no mouse support. Third person games seem far better suited to consoles. Hell, I think Max Payne even plays better on a console. It doesn't look quite as good, but control wise it's easier to play.

As far as the PS3 goes, I doubt I'll be getting one, at least untill it's down to 200 bucks. Paying any more than that for a console seems ridiculous to me. They're not computers, they're not dvd players, I buy them so I can sit down on my couch and play a game and relax. I may get a 360 at some point so I can play GTA4, but I've really cut back on playing videogames. Having a full time job and a girlfriend seems to do that to you. Even then, there's no way I'd pay more than 200 bucks for a 360. I think microsoft and playstation are killing themselves. They're making the consoles too powerful, then overcharging for them. The casual gamer doesn't have 400+ dollars to plunk down on a new gaming system. Hell, when I can play God of War II on my PS2 that I got from a pawnshop for 125 bucks 4 years ago, why should I go buy a new system? They're just making consoles glorified web tv's at this point, and we all know how well web tv turned out. I'd really like to see them stop making consoles do all this extra stuff, such as be web browsers and media centers, and just make them play games, as they're supposed to. Nintendo seems to still have this straight in their heads. I'm not really opposed to change, unless this change has a 500 dollar price jump attached to it.

Oh yeah, I heard that GTA4 is coming out on the Wii, does anyone know if this is true? In that case, I'll probably be getting a Wii.

In other news, apparently a Wii version of RE4 is being worked on. What we know for certain is that it'll be budget priced, feature the bonus missions from the PS2 & PC versions, and of course support the Wiimote. Rumour has it that it'll still support the GC controller (and presumably the classic controller), and the graphics will be enhanced somehow (after all, the Wii is around 1.5 times more powerful than the GC).

Oh, and it seems Umbrella Chronicles will be an "on the rails" shooter ala Survivor/Dead Aim, rather than a proper FPS. Which sucks horribly.

AndrewB said:

IMO if you refuse to innovate, and insist on the status quo because "it's worked for us so far," then you deserve no sympathy when you get left behind in the dust.

That's the biggest mistake Sony made. It's pretty ignorant to think everyone will buy your new product just because they bought the older one. Especially with the price of it.

The PS3 needs:
- More games that warrant a purchase of the system (Sorry but playing just Motorstorm and Resistance, and shoddy 360 ports won't cut it)
- A more unified online service like Xbox Live (No, Home is not the right answer, try again).
- To be cheaper (Then again they lose about $200-400 per unit sold)

The Wii needs:
- Same as above, more games. And games that aren't shoddy ports of PSP games (I'm looking in YOUR direction, Ubisoft)
- To be in stock regularly now (Seriously these system droughts five months into the console's lifecycle is fucking retarded)

The Xbox 360 needs:
- To keep its current pace as the leader
- To convince people that the Elite is worth a purchase (Which can be boiled down to: "If you like using the Marketplace for downloading TV shows and movies, then get this damn thing because you can watch it in HD and you'll have plenty of room!")
- To make Live cheaper ($50/year is a bit much, but drop it down a bit and we might get somewhere)
- to stop nickel and diming us (Seriously, Microsoft won't let Epic release a Gears of War map pack without a price because Microsoft needs the money. Especially since they lost four billion last generation.)

Speaking of the Wii, I haven't tried it because I don't know anybody who has one (haha why isn't that a surprise), plus I can't try one in stores because GameStop is retarded and keeps the controller/nunchuk in a fucking box in the storage room. How do you expect people to TRY the thing?

Nintendo can't even make enough Wii's to meet demand, you can't expect the game stores to let you try one out.

Oh, and $50 a year for Xbox Live is steal, though you would realize that if you had a job and your mommy didn't buy all your videogames (no offense, but only kids without jobs whine about $50 a year, christ, I make that much in a day, and I work at a fucking grocery store).

I earn well over $100 a day, still wouldn't get the subscription when there's a nice internet I'm already paying for.

Something is ultimately worth what you are willing to pay for it. If enough people agreed with Tonic, the price will fall.

Which oddly enough leads us back to the ps3.

I heard a PR guy from Sony actually said in a press release that people wouldn't need a reason to buy the PS3 for any other reason than that it is a PS3. Way to go, Mr. talking to the public. I do not think you thought your cunning plan through.

AndrewB said:

OK, PS3 fans are just too stupid to live:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=65285

There are just so many things wrong with that.

1). You posted something from bbspot and it took the people there like 15 posts to realise it was satire, and even then they were still saying "hay guys I think this could possibly be satire".

2). There is a Wii/XBox section to a PS3 forum. That's like if we had a Barbie Horse Fantasy (whatever the fuck that game's called) section on Doomworld.

3). You actually posted there.

4). Over 900 times

5). One of the incentives they give for signing up for their site is that you get to talk to "resident Sony experts". Oh, yeah! I've always wanted to talk to a 14 year old with a superiority complex with no taste in video games!