Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caco_killer

I'm convinced Sony's game division has no humans, but robots.

Lmao. The Sony representative's face changes slowly when the CNBC guy says "Your not making money with the Ps3". That's funny, and he's trying to cover it up by saying what the expected number of Ps2 sales is should be and that its very early in the market.

He even said that they are still in the league, which isn't true. I believe another thread covered that Nintendo surpassed Sony in value.

The $100 price drop on the smaller Ps3's is nice to hear, but there are still going to be hardcore gamers that are going to want the best performing model, so it doesen't justify as much as expected with sales.

Plus it's just making Sony loose a ton of money, I find it funny that they have to use the Ps2 as a crutch for this (No offense to the ps2, it's a great system).

PS3.. Inferior. 360.. SUPERIOR!!

In the Us (may 2007)
PlayStation 3: 81,604. (playstation 2:187,765!/Xbox 360:154,932)
Wii: 338,278
In japan (may 2007)
Playstation 3: 45,321
Wii: 251,794
So for every playstion 3, nintendo sells 4.6 Wii in those 2 countries.

The target for may 2008 for playstation 3 is 11 000 000 units.

But According to VGChartz.com the current numbers are 10.04 million Xbox 360's sold, 8.90 million Nintendo Wii's sold and 3.66 million Playstation 3's sold as of July 2007 (source wikipedia worldwide sales)

I love how he keeps saying 10 year product lifecycles. Because the gaming industry moves a generation per decade.

Yeah, good luck with that 10-year life cycle when about 3 new games will end up coming out for the system in its 5th year.

yomoneyboat said:

Can ANYONE name a console that had a 10-year life cycle?

The Atari 2600 or something like that was the longest-lived console ever.

Naked Snake said:

The Atari 2600 or something like that was the longest-lived console ever.

Damn right. I still play mine. You all should get one (or an emulator) and find out why. :)

yomoneyboat said:

Can ANYONE name a console that had a 10-year life cycle?

ATARI 2600
People literally made their own games for it.

People are making games for the 2600 as we speak. Thrust was a good recent game.

I have an Atari 3000, but I haven't pulled it out in ages. Good fun back in the day though, and if I can make it work, maybe I'll give it another spin

The original gameboy went for years and years. That slimline one (i think i remember reading when that came out that original GB sales where around 50 million) was basically the same thing, so games for that where still "for the gameboy". And also when the colour one came out several games where backwards compatible. I took until the Advance to finally knock the original down

That video is classic. I love the tone the CNBC guy has when he asks questions, almost sounds like he is thinking: "...these people are crazy. Maybe another question will give a more sane answer... no. Good god."

Well it's true that *successful* consoles of the past have had a lifespan of 10 years or even more (however the Atari 2600 is more of a cult object, and surely has less active players than e.g. the NES, also thanks to Famiclones).

But it's pure folly expecting any console released *today* to last 10 years on the market. The NES lasted so long also because it was almost always better in games quality than the average home or personal computer from the early 80s to the early 90s (if you exclude 16-bit "monsters" like the Atari ST and Amiga 500), and it was almost always better and way cheaper than a PC/XT with CGA or EGA :-)

However those were different times, hardware was more expensive, and you didn't witness price drops and technological ubiquity in the same degree as you did today. In other words, neither the Wii, PS3 or XBOX 360 have the hardware "to be King" or at least "respectable" for the next 10 years. 3-5 years would be a better guess...

Maes said:

3-5 years would be a better guess...

That seemed to work well for Microsoft.

EDIT: Bank, I don't know if Borg is the plural form or not, but it sounds better so I changed the topic title.

Tee-hee... that guy said "prong."
Normally I don't laugh at things like that, but for some inexplicable reason, I have a soft spot for the word "prong."

The Borg is a single entity really. Since they're mentally connected by WiFi.
Hence "We are THE Borg."
Kind of like "The Many" in System Shock 2. That quite possibly are based on the Borg.

Atleast I think so, my Star Trek trivia knowledge is rather limited.

Either way, his attempts are feeble.

caco_killer said:
I don't know if Borg is the plural form or not, but it sounds better so I changed the topic title.

It seems wrong anyway without the article ("the Borg").

Heh seems it's harder to name those that DIDN'T have a 10 year life cycle :-) Even the SNES and Genesis came quite close to 10 years before new games stopped being produced.

Those with less than 10 years of lifetime were in general failures of various degrees, more or less severe.

The SEGA Master System also had a ridiculous life cycle. Not in the US/UK or Japan, but in Brazil where it was officially discontinued in 2000. It first launched in Brazil in 1989 and its earliest release date was June 1986 in the US. Its lifespan in the US was only 4 years but counting countries outside of the US it lasted up to 14 years.

Kristus is right in saying that the Borg is a single entity. They are a collective consciousness, the only being that seems capable of independant thought is the Borg Queen... I think Janeway (Voyager) remarks "It must give you an awful headache with all those voices constantly nattering" or something (aimed at the Queen)

MikeRS said:

The Famicom was manufactured, sold, and supported until 2004 in Japan.

Well, Nintendo of America had discontinued it in 1995, but Nintendo Japan did continue a limited niche market production, however no new officially licensed games were produced after 1994 (unofficial games thrived though, there is even Street Fighter and King of Fighters), while Famiclones are still going strong, effectively giving the NES a 20+ year of "market presence" and active gaming, amply beating even the Atari 2600.