Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bboy TYS

Hip Hop: A Culture Misinterpreted

No mention of Gang Starr? Moment Of Truth is highly recommended.

Eminem's Infinite is his best music; you can find the album for download or on Youtube.

Kid Airbag said:

Kanye, on the other hand, is kind of boring. I like some of his songs, but for the most part it's just him puffing his inflated head up and letting off a lot of hot air.

He also sampled Steely Dan horribly.

Eminem was great through about two albums, then he stopped trying because he became big enough that everything he puts out will sell because people are stupid. It seems like he hasn't even been trying since then.

Yeah, I thought his first album was pretty good, but after that it was meh.

MasterSyphadias said:

Very True, Hip-Hop and Punk are synonymous! Both share the Do It Yourself Ethic, both were generated from the repressed and poor as a means to "CREATE" there own entertainment rather than allow themselves to be dumbed down by the main stream. On top of that both offer insight into the hypocrisy of the social, political, and religious realm, and encourage one to develope one's self from within, rather than measure one's worth by what is without.

There's also Industrial, which came out of the same scene as punk but is pretty much an entirely different sort of music. The only similarity really is that punk was supposed to be more about energy and emotion than any kind of technical skill or melody. Industrial (well at least, the original industrial), was harsh loops and a lot of screaming. So pretty much the same in spirit. As Monte Cazazza, one of the founders of the genre said it is "Industrial music for industrial people", and thus the record label (and genre) got their name.

Though some punk was just made by spoiled white kids who were mad at there parents and just wanted to break things and wine...

Yeah, breaking wine is not cool. Especially if it's riesling.

Ralphis said:

With that said, I find what many deem "real" punk music to be abysmal trash dumbed down well beyond what any main stream media could put on you.

I think the Sex Pistols were pretty awesome, and they're one of the very few punk bands I enjoy listening to, AND they're about as "real" as you can get. They also have very good technical skill, though, which I find lacking in 99% of punk bands. Sadly, they only really made one album ever. :(

Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, The Legendary Pinks Dots, Zoviet France, Negativland...

...indeed the early days of "industrial" was amazing, it's a shame everything sounds like German Gabba or Hot Topicish now a days.

Ralphis said:

YES! We're actually going to probably re-record all of those songs and finish our album starting this monday and hopefully finish by july or august. All of the songs are written but my other writing/recording half is strapped down at Duquesne for most of the year

Dude if he's at Duquesne come record in Pgh. this summer so you can give me a cameo on the album.

Also, Del Tha Funky Homosapien aka Deltron is also another spectacular lyricist.

Yeah Del's fuckin great. Although his latest album was really pretty disappointing. Maybe the new Deltron will be better.

Danarchy said:

He also sampled Steely Dan horribly.

Speaking of Steely Dan samples, this might be my favorite hip-hop song of all time:

I'd say it's close between "Eye Know" and this classic:

MasterSyphadias said:

Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, The Legendary Pinks Dots, Zoviet France, Negativland...

I don't know if I'd actually call LPD industrial. They're kind of like psychadellic folk/synthpop/jazz. They have delved into industrial though. The Tear Garden and the LPD album Nemesis Online were both fairly industrial. LPD and The Tear Garden are two of my favorite bands. :D

Also, you can't forget early EBM like Nitzer Ebb and Front 242.

...indeed the early days of "industrial" was amazing, it's a shame everything sounds like German Gabba or Hot Topicish now a days.

Yeah, stuff like Razed in Black and the like seem to be dominating the scene these days. Skinny Puppy went metal, KMFDM started sounding more like Manson or Rammstein, Coil is gone, and everyone else is going futurepop. I think the only bands that are still on the industrial path are Neubauten and Das Ich. Still, ohGr was a great side project, Skinny Puppy isn't TOO bad, and futurepop is pretty good, so it's not too bad. You just have to look harder.

Kid Airbag said:

Speaking of Steely Dan samples, this might be my favorite hip-hop song of all time:

Heh, nice. The original song is from one of my favorite albums of all time (Aja).

I'd say it's close between "Eye Know" and this classic:

Heh, that comes from the days when I used to watch MTV. There was actually a bunch of good rap out those days.

Danarchy said:

Heh, that comes from the days when I used to watch MTV. There was actually a bunch of good rap out those days.

Coincidentally, those were also the days when MTV used to actually show music.

insertwackynamehere:

I forgot to mention, I had heard one other other other Sunz of Man albums, though I can't recall which, but now that I think of it, I don't recall being let down by the album, which is something I'm sure I'd remember if I was.

You can probably stream samples of them off the net somewhere to decide before you buy.

Kid Airbag said:

Dude if he's at Duquesne come record in Pgh. this summer so you can give me a cameo on the album.

He comes back to Philly when you're home :(

Game music is sucking nowadays too. Westerner games sound like generic filler and eastern (AKA "JAPAN" YOU DOLTS) games are just remixing the same old song.

Descent II had a great soundtrack.

Save it for the game music thread man, this is where we're droppin bombs playboy

leileilol said:

Game music is sucking nowadays too. Westerner games sound like generic filler and eastern (AKA "JAPAN" YOU DOLTS) games are just remixing the same old song.

Descent II had a great soundtrack.

Descent II was fan-fucking tastic. It had Type O Negative, ohGr, and Mark Morgan on it. Anything by Mark Morgan or Jeff van Dyck is also good, and Jeremy Soule isn't too bad, but his stuff gets kind of redundant after a while.

MasterSyphadias said:

The new Del album? Are you talking about Buck Rogerz?

Uh...no?

This seems like the appropriate thread to talk about how the new Atmosphere album is really good.

Also, Positive K was pretty cool

and old LL Cool J definitely

Also, this is probably one of the top 5 rap songs ever and, in my opinion, is really what made rap a viable commercial genre and introduced its mainstream appeal. Run DMC - RockBox

Kid Airbag said:

This seems like the appropriate thread to talk about how the new Atmosphere album is really good.

It is? I should buy it then. I remember listening to that one song from 7's Travels, Trying to find a Balance and then iTunes emails me saying they have the new Atmosphere album. Thanks!

Ralphis said:

With that said, I find what many deem "real" punk music to be abysmal trash dumbed down well beyond what any main stream media could put on you. The roots of hip-hop on the other hand have some real geniuses behind it.

My balls are more creative than early, modern, and future punk bands.

Also, Del Tha Funky Homosapien aka Deltron is also another spectacular lyricist.

That's just ignorant, the same way people write off Rap all together.

Some True Punk:
Dead Kennedys
MDC (Millions of Dead Cops, Multi-Death Corporations, etc.)
Caustic Christ (which is some people from Aus Rotten)
Stiff Little Fingers (sometimes a bit Reggae-ish)
Social Distortion
GBH
No Means No
Black Flag (at least their older stuff)
Adicts
Devotchkas
Leftover Crack (Ska but I hear they suck live anymore)

And a lot of really good local bunds: http://myspace.com/spinepunchmusic and also some bands off http://www.worldeaterrecords.org/

Pop Will Eat Itself is like some Techno Rap Punk mix but they're good.

MasterSyphadias said:

Huh, I had never heard of that...are you sure Del's connected to it? They are from the Bay Area, so it's possible, although their myspace site doesn't seem to mention him at all. But I like what I've heard, so I'll definitely check them out some more.

Insertwackynamehere said:

It is? I should buy it then. I remember listening to that one song from 7's Travels, Trying to find a Balance and then iTunes emails me saying they have the new Atmosphere album. Thanks!

Yeah, I've only had a chance to give it a couple listens and already it might be my favorite of theirs. If all you've heard is 7's Travels, I'm not a huge fan of that one for some reason (although everyone seems to love it). Outside of the singles and the hidden track at the end nothing really grabs me from that album. Definitely check out the Lucy Ford EP and You Can't Even Imagine How Much Fun We're Having in addition to the new one.

Leftover Crack

I tried, i really did... fucking shite

Stiff Little Fingers

Fucking incredible, and amazing live too, despite being old codgers. BUT are they really "punk" beyond thier second album? They sounded almost like the Pet Shop Boys at one point. They have also done a couple of rap songs, though one was a Tupac cover and one was a joke.

Let's get silly!

Gimme dat gold!

MC Hawking bitches!

H.I.T.L.E.R. driving down the streets in a fancy car

Hassle the Hoff mofos!

As many of you seen on MTV, radio, magazines, etc, Polka culture is interpreted as a Polend culture. That is wrong. Just slap yourselves. You're all just being brainwashed by the stupid media going on in Hollywood since the 50s. You're just the media's puppet for business. It's their way of making money.

Polka represented in the 40s was real. It was all about the culture's elements and knowledge. Drinking beer, wearing leiderhosen, eating keilbasa, and dancing like crazy (or yodeling). We never made polka about Polend, peirogies, etc. Our fathers of the culture have participated in one of those activities, but they never made it a culture about the bad things. Oompah was a culture about anti-Nazi and fight without violence.

Weird Al has killed Polka culture more than it did already. I really hate him, I'm glad there are people who hate him but don't know a thing about Polka. His music made the teen generation of America think it's just some shit about Polend. And he is such a disgrace to the real Oompa culture itslef. He is not a Acordionist, he's just an entertainer.

That wraps up what Oompa is. Check these sites find out more about the real Polka culture.

http://www.internationalpolka.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjvVBCNcL_A