Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Creaphis

Help Creaphis Find a New Mouse

I use this.

This thread reminds me I need to get a new one, though, as the wear on the bottom has degraded its performance.

exp(x) said:

The scroll wheel? He's probably having that problem because he doesn't wash his hands after masturbating.

it is the scroll wheel
but I might think it's the flakes from the protective film gunking up instead
I don't masturbate

Just fixed my wheel issue. Turns out the little rubber ring inside it was misaligned. Not gunk.
Can't fix the mouse size and speed issues though

AlexMax said:

In the market for a new mouse? Read this:

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1265679

Ouch, that article definitely doesn't make my choice of the G5 look like the best one, though considering that this was published two years ago, he would have had to judge the older G5 model - the new one having 1000 Hz report speed instead of 500.

exp(x) said:

The scroll wheel? He's probably having that problem because he doesn't wash his hands after masturbating.

I've seen pictures of his computers. The keyboards are stained a horrifying tinge of brown. I nearly vomited.

Get the 518, I have a 515, and my brother a 518. They don't die, they're ergonomic, great sensitivity, and pretty cheap.

exp(x) said:

Gaming mice are stupid.

I can assure you that "gaming mice" is the snake-oil of the computer industry; There is nothing "revolutionary" about the mice, or the buttons, or the contours of the mouse. Yeah, I suppose a few extra buttons would be of help, but your average "internet" mouse has left and right side buttons AND a four-way tilt-wheel.

"tracking precision" and response time(report rates) on these mice do not give a player an advantage, in fact it hurts more than helps in my experiences. in worse cases, the mouse "sputters".

Besides, if a game requires such precision, you can bet that I won't be playing that mess for long. if I gotta aim so accurate as to shoot a fly's asshair off while it stays asleep, I'll gladly return it. Console players don't have to deal with this shit, why should I?

the precision does help when pixel pushing, however. I wouldn't have enhanced that Rydia sprite on the microsoft optical.

Heh, never thought I'd see mice being overclocked.

myk said:

This thread reminds me I need to get a new one, though, as the wear on the bottom has degraded its performance.

Quite fitting that Myk would have a mouse that says Genius on it.

leileilol said:

it is the scroll wheel
but I might think it's the flakes from the protective film gunking up instead

I had this happen to an old off-brand mouse with a FOAM-like wheel. it was green, and had a film over it to keep the foam from exploding out, I guess. well, what happened is that the film started to mottle and peel off, and got stuck in the axle of the wheel. the wheel is now impossible to turn. gg. I'd take it apart but I can't be arsed, it sucked anyway and the mouseball inside was starting to... rub off somehow on the mousepad, leaving streaks. Shittiest mouse on the face of the earth.

Creaphis = Ralphis on creatine?

Anyway, trackballs are mandatory for Millipede.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?p=47280&CMP=KAC-GoogleShopping

The intellimouse. I've been using it for over five years, the first one lasted four years and 10 months, just got my second one. I replaced it because the cord had gotten stuck under the tower, I pulled on it, and the cord yanked out. It still worked just fine for two months after, but I had to take it apart, reconnect everything, and the right side button didn't work. Still, a great mouse. It's got four programmable buttons, usually I use the side ones for forward and back when browsing, but you can map them to any function in a game via the console. And a mouse wheel. The optical bit is very responsive, I had some problems with my old one after 4 years, it would jump around every now and again, but I would assume that was because the lens was getting dirty. I got my new one at around 20 dollars off of amazon. It's the best mouse I've ever had, it fits really nicely in your hand, the back is wider and fits the shape of your palm, and it slims down slightly in the front, with a nice curvature for your thumb. 20 dollars, reliable, accurate, comfortable, and four buttons plus a wheel. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Uh thanks guys, but I already have my new mouse at this point. Logitech G5. It's great. Despite my best efforts, I can't get it to misread my movement. The only problem I have with it is I can't figure out what to do with all the buttons.

Gokuma said:

Creaphis = Ralphis on creatine?

Heh. Nah, I've been using this alias since long before I ever came here. Though I might just start going by my real name before long.

Csonicgo said:

I can assure you that "gaming mice" is the snake-oil of the computer industry;

I couldn't agree with you more. In that article I linked, the scores for the mice pretty much prove that the 'best' hardware in mice were pretty much done accidentally, and all serious attempts at making new gaming mice short of re-releasing older 'proven' mice are simply designed to look cool, separate you from your money, and leave you with an overpriced heap of junk. What that article doesn't mention is that in addition to having shitty internals, Razer mice in particular have spectacularly shitty build quality and wear out quite quickly. If you need a reliable gaming mouse, just grab an Logitech MX518 or Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 re-release.

As for me, I've been using my wireless MX1000 for a good long while, and it has problems charging and with the middle mouse button, but the mouse Logitech is replacing them with (and replacing defective MX1000's with...for free), the MX Revolution, feels too light and the contours don't feel as nice.

spank said:

Heh, never thought I'd see mice being overclocked.

It's not the mouse that is being overclocked, it's the USB port. And it's not as bad as it sounds, it's simply telling the USB port to poll at a greater rate than normal, and is for the most part completely harmless. Most gaming mice put the increased polling rate into the driver anyway, but there are simple utilities out there that can allow you to do it with any mouse. Well...almost any mouse, some mice don't support higher polling rates. I've tried it with my MX1000, it doesn't ever poll over 125hz for some reason no matter what I set it to, so I set it back to default and forgot about it.

All I can say is, I love my "Razer Habu". But really, you can't go wrong with any mouse from Razer.

And I can tell anyone who's possibly considering to buy the MX Revolution from Logitech, to save your money. Or spend them more wisely, by flushing them down the toilet.

GreyGhost said:

Is your PistolMouse worth recommending to Creaphis?

It's nice for Doom and older FPS that aren't too button demanding. I can only recommend it as a nice secondary novelty mouse if the price is right. Like 10 dollars :D

I wouldn't buy that. A bfg mouse, yes. I imagine it would click about 100 times on one pixel, before clicking forty other places on the screen.

It clicks like any other mouse, only there are two aluminum trigger buttons. The oversized mouse wheel you click and manipulate with your thumb. Takes a little getting used to as the 800DPI optical sensor is on the base of the mouse and you manipulate it with your hand clenched around the pistol grip. It's made of military grade high-density ballistics plastic, same composite of rifle furniture.

fraggle said:

The Apple Mighty Mouse is pretty sexy. I use it for the Linux media PC in my lounge. Unfortunately you only get the two buttons (yes, two buttons on an Apple mouse!)

That's strange, I count 4 on mine...
Left, Right, side buttons, and scrollball click

Oh jeez. My new G5 just stopped working, which was very scary for a few minutes.

Know what the problem was? A freaking ANT on the lens.

Danarchy said:

Get an optical, because trackball mice are decades out of date.

[nitpicking]That would be "opto-mechanical" mice, trackballs are a whole other beast.[/nitpicking]

Don't get wireless. They eat batteries like candy unless you buy one of the horribly expensive rechargeable ones. Logitech and Microsoft are the only brands you should be looking at. Spending around $30 for a mouse isn't too ridiculous. That's my advice.

I once made the mistake of purchasing an optical and wireless mouse in 2003: it was extremely picky about the surfaces it could be used on (the ideal would be one of those special gridded mousepads, D'Oh!) and the current consumption was appalling: 55 mA @ 3V (worked with two AAA batteries, rechargeable, charger included).

This meant that even with 1000mAh batteries, you would only get about 20 hours of continuous operation, and far less with the stock 650 mAh ones. Thus, a wireless optical or laser mouse is an energy efficiency oxymoron, at best.

To make a comparison with an opto-mechanical wireless mouse one of my housemates used, that one only drew 2 mA of current -> over 300 hours of continuous use on a single charge!

And yeah...after that mouse I never spent more than 3-5 Euros on either mice or keyboards, and that seems to work fine. Also because as a friend noticed, sometimes a 40$ mouse can malfunction as easily as a 5$ one.