Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anarkavre

Diablo III announced!

Danarchy said:

They might even be enemies at one point in the game, who knows?

Damn I wish that not. What would be Sanctuary's God's own call, if that shit happens?

@Zaldron:

That's basically what I was thinking. Kind of like how the Shadow War ended in Babylon 5. "Get the Hell out of our galaxy!" :P

The story in Diablo seems to be a rough tribute to Michael Moorcock's Elric series, where the forces of Chaos and Law wage war (the protagonist, Elric, and the material world are in the middle). In fact, that's where the demonic name Arioch is drawn from (popularly speaking, it appears first in Milton's Paradise Lost, but only briefly).

It's interesting to note that while some works of fiction pose the necessity of Balance, and that Heaven by itself is inherently as excessive and extremely bad as Hell itself, in Diablo Humans are the offspring of both sides. They're naturally balanced, so the sudden removal of these forces shouldn't really plunge the World into its destruction. It may terminate magic, or some forms of it, given how much of it is "channeling" magic.

In the annoying (but Blizzard-typical, it has happened so often that you had to oppose irritating good-fakers) case that angels are hostile, will demons be friendly this time? Will the player gain horns?

But aren't angels directly God's people? Isn't it logical that opposing them means your death?

Only if it comes around and can hit you hard enough. Clearly omnipotence is not within the grasp of any of Diablo's supernatural entities.

Danarchy said:

Warcraft was more of an epic fantasy with all kinds of unreal stuff like different races of all sorts and high magic and gods being summoned. Diablo, on the other hand is more along the lines of gothic fantasy. Very dark, humans are the only real intelligent race (aside from the angels and demons), and there's no cities being blown up with magic (just people, as can be seen in the D2 expansion opening :P).

Isn't Warcraft still more or less influenced by Warhammer? Didn't Blizzard originally try to get the GW licensing to do a Warhammer RTS before making Warcraft? The races are near identical, save the Tauren. Warhammer has wood elves, and in WC they're called Night elves and have purple skin. I'm not an elitist of either. Just aside from bits of mythos and artistic style they possess alot of similarities.

Diablo Mythos is really reminiscent of the Book of Enoch. Polytheism of ancient times supposed 12 great gods of the zodiac. They were called the 12 Baals by Baal worshippers. The Jews at time substituted their egyptian devil Taurus (sacred bull) for a Chaladean one. Such as Baal-sebub (Bezelbub as we know him), or Baal-ial (Belial). Yet they contradicted themselves by accepting and honoring Baal Molochi-Sudec, or Moloch Zedec, (Melchesidec) as their first and everlasting high priest.

To be fair, Warhammer is a mishmash of every single fantasy sci-fi archetype ever.

I just thought of this today: This game had better not require Vista, or there's virtually no chance I'll be playing it.

AndrewB said:

I just thought of this today: This game had better not require Vista, or there's virtually no chance I'll be playing it.

Blizzard would be aware that a majority of users still use XP (with WOW and the mal-ware security stuff it uses). I'm sure that they'd rather cash in with more buyers than limit themselves.

Considering that blizzard isn't pushing the graphical limits here, i doubt that you'd have any reason to fret, even if the games comes out in another year or two.

Yeah, Blizzard is very lax about it's requirements. It KNOWS most people don't have top-end machines, and so indulges those who don't. That's another reason their games are all big sellers.

Not to mention the fact that WoW liked to crash repeatedly on Vista the first few months Vista was out.

skadoomer said:

Considering that blizzard isn't pushing the graphical limits here, i doubt that you'd have any reason to fret, even if the games comes out in another year or two.

I figured it would be more like 3 years, considering that Starcraft 2 is still in the pipeline and Diablo 3 has only just been announced.

AndrewB said:

I figured it would be more like 3 years, considering that Starcraft 2 is still in the pipeline and Diablo 3 has only just been announced.

In an interview with the lead producer of the game he said it was along alot more than we thought. The engine and systems are done, all they need to add in is content. On the job listing pages they're listing nothing but level designers.

Bloodskull said:

In an interview with the lead producer of the game he said it was along alot more than we thought. The engine and systems are done, all they need to add in is content. On the job listing pages they're listing nothing but level designers.

The levels should be designed like this:

GenerateLevel(new Random().Next());

Or something. If the game doesn't contain mostly random areas then I'm not interested.

AndrewB said:

The levels should be designed like this:

GenerateLevel(new Random().Next());

A feature pretty much needed by any game with a serious time/grind commitment. That includes all these new-fangled MMO's. Slogging through the same 8 sewer/street levels in Hellgate London was retarded.

Randomly generated areas will be incorporated. It's stated in at least one of the interviews.

And I have yet to play Diablo 2 too.

I think the first was as good as any point and click action/adventure game ever got. I'd probably be as active with that game today as I am with Doom if it had similar map and resource editors. I've been wanting to replay it for a while now, but I think I lent it to somebody who lost it years ago. That, Doom and WarCraft 2 were the late-90's Big Three around here.

WarCraft 2 at least had a map editor though. I made quite a few maps for that one.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Now my level 60 Necro, Level 55 Assassin, and Level 74 Barbarian can finally take a break.

Level 55 Paladin, Level 68 Assassin both on retirement and (thanks to the announcement) now an aspiring young level 23 Druid...

Use3D said:

Slogging through the same 8 sewer/street levels in Hellgate London was retarded.

Exactly why I sold my copy on ebay. I had high expectations for that game but it just ended up disappointing me.

Bloodskull said:

Exactly why I sold my copy on ebay. I had high expectations for that game but it just ended up disappointing me.

I gave it a chance, I played the whole thing. I like my character and the drops were alright but...yeah, craptastic.

Zaldron said:

Level 55 Paladin, Level 68 Assassin both on retirement and (thanks to the announcement) now an aspiring young level 23 Druid...

OMG, knock it off and finish the boss! D:

If my mouse didn't decide to flake out on me, I'd start playign Diablo 1/2 again.

Lüt said:

I'd probably be as active with that game today as I am with Doom if it had similar map and resource editors.

I feel the same way. I love that game but there's only so much that can be done with it. There is a small diablo editing community, but they tinker with hex editors in order to make minor changes. Editing monsters/items is easier but ultimately not very rewarding in comparison to say, making a level.

Zaldron said:

To be fair, Warhammer is a mishmash of every single fantasy sci-fi archetype ever.

Actually Warhammer Fantasy beat Warcraft by 11 years(1st edition of Warhammer Fantasy came out in 1983 while Warcraft didnt come out til 1994)
Warhammer 40k beat Starcraft by 11 years also...WH40k 1st edition came out in 1987 while Starcraft didnt come out til 1998.

Haloless0320 said:

Actually Warhammer Fantasy beat Warcraft by 11 years(1st edition of Warhammer Fantasy came out in 1983 while Warcraft didnt come out til 1994)
Warhammer 40k beat Starcraft by 11 years also...WH40k 1st edition came out in 1987 while Starcraft didnt come out til 1998.

Ok? My point is, a ruleset involving a form of every Tolkenian, Gygaxian, low medieval, and pulp/space-opera scifi creature/factions will appear to 'predate' any game released afterwards.

TheCupboard said:

I feel the same way. I love that game but there's only so much that can be done with it. There is a small diablo editing community, but they tinker with hex editors in order to make minor changes. Editing monsters/items is easier but ultimately not very rewarding in comparison to say, making a level.

Heh, yeah that sounds pretty dull.

The most fun part of the WarCraft 2 editor was that item/thing stats got saved with each individual map.

That was the best, because I'd always play network games with this guy who loved to build guard towers. You know, the ones that are upgraded to shoot arrows. I hated those things, no matter what I sent their way they always took it out, and he'd build those damned things everywhere. So one day I finally got back at him. I made a rather large map with the player starts far enough apart that we had plenty of time to build up and harvest resources before attacking, and because guard towers require certain resources in order, it takes a while before you can build them. Anyway, I set the price of guard towers upgrades to like 30,000 gold and 15,000 wood and I set their build time to 1 tic, so by the time he'd built the required stuff, he was able to upgrade 2 of them before finding himself almost out of resources and with no ability to cancel the instantly-completed upgrade process and get the investment back. And oddly enough, he had just exhausted his gold mine and forest supply. Then I raided and I revelled :D

Zaldron said:

Ok? My point is, a ruleset involving a form of every Tolkenian, Gygaxian, low medieval, and pulp/space-opera scifi creature/factions will appear to 'predate' any game released afterwards.

True but I guess that can't be helped.