Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Espi

Anyone else disturbed by this?

i guess its all perspective... maybe religious people think non-religious people (atheists, like espi for example) are nutjobs. they would think "why would you want to go to hell/nifelheim/etc. instead of ______ by not believing?" for example.

Enjay said:

I don't find it particularly disturbing. No more so than kids at Sunday school chanting the Lord's Prayer and no more disturbing than this either:

That's a very strong statement, and I agree. There really isn't much to this at all.

Except that Jesus Camp. Even bible-thumpers are scared shitless by that movie. Charismatics scare the piss out of anyone.

To any that think all Christians are like that: couldn't be further from the truth. Jesus Camp is a close personal look at the 00.01% of the Christian Community. Some have actually come to the realization that believing in Jesus doesn't neccesarily mean that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that a massive Rainstorm covered the Earth for just 40 Days. Hell, there's even some that say that if a fetus were aborted, it was God's will anyway (since NOTHING can change God's will) and everyone should just STFU about it.

GooberMan said:

Time for another viewing of Jesus Camp methinks.

I categorize my DVDs by rough genre, because if I do it only alphabetically I cant find shit. Jesus Camp is categorized with horror. It is the single most frightening film I have ever seen in my life. Also, I can only watch this with another person, and specifically with another person I feel comfortable holding for safety, as there are parts of the film that I cannot watch alone. Nothing is scarier than fundies (of any religion).

Anyways, video in first post does not particularly bother me, at least not anymore than any other religious chanting or whatever. It's an example of brainwashing sure, but any sunday school in thousands of churches across the nation will yield an equally valid example.

Enjay said:

I don't find it particularly disturbing. No more so than kids at Sunday school chanting the Lord's Prayer and no more disturbing than this either:

I find that disturbing as hell too. I don't care who is doing the indoctrination. It's all disturbing.

GooberMan said:

Time for another viewing of Jesus Camp methinks.

Heh, in comparison, this kind of indoctrination seems much, much better (at least it's not directly harmful to the extent that any major monotheistic religion has been insofar).

P.S. Turn the volume up to get REALLY pumped up.

Aaaaaaahhhh... There's nothing like a little goosestepping to restore my faith in the human spirit.

Danarchy said:

VIDEL

That was beautiful.

Maes said:

VIDEO

They're so proud to serve that they're kicking each other's asses :P

Espi said:

That's precisely what's disturbing, regardless of which religion is doing it. =p

I hope he manages to avoid ending up a complete nutjob.

I'm pretty sure he will. I've been baptized, confirmed, went to a Roman Catholic private school for six years, and go to church every sunday including holy days. Even at this point, I don't feel totally phased by it. I kinda wish I had a heavier influence by real world affairs as a child rather than the conforming ideals of the private school though.

I know a dude who went to a private elementary school, and just graduated from a catholic high school. He plays in a punk bank band inspired by "Choking Victim". One of Choking Victim's more popular albums is "No Gods, No Managers". I go to his gigs sometimes. Once talking to him after a show he said there's way more people who hate religion in his school than you'd find in a public High School.

In this video, I think he's doing it because his parent's insisted that it would be good for him. I'm sure he doesn't truly recognize the meaning of it. Once he gets older and matures a little more, he'll probably be less submissive and actually try to interpret the meaning behind it.

He may agree with it, which can be pretty disturbing. But he might not. It really depends on what he believes is really the correct path. I think in a country like that, where there is little leniency toward diverse religions, he will most likely stay under the influence of what he's been brought up to do, but possibly not as devoted, like me. It depends on how his parents react to his behavior. I hope he doesn't live by being beat everytime his parents detect the slightest lack of faith. Then I'd be disturbed.