Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Secrets
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Well, he's new, so he doesn't know.

Generally if a topic hasn't had a response in at least three to four weeks or so, it's best to just leave it alone and start a new one.

Old Post 08-18-02 23:01 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
CyRaptor
Keyboarder Extraordinaire

Sorry about that, didn't even bother to look at your post count. Probably should've explained it a bit.

Also, you're better off grabbing one of the many invul spheres in this level before you try it, as it's very likely you'll be hurt or killed by the rocket splash damage.

Old Post 08-18-02 23:30 #
CyRaptor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Kurgan
Warming Up

Thanks. I think there's still one around.

Old Post 08-18-02 23:41 #
The Kurgan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

danarchist said:

Before this week, I've seen this word maybe ten times in my life. But this is about the 100th time in the last 3 days. What happen?

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, what do you care? So what if you spell the plural of Mancubus 'Mancubi'? SO FUCKING WHAT? FUCK YOU! You have you head so far up your ass that you can't see that there are other people around you WITH OTHER FUCKING OPINIONS!!! JESUS FUCK!

P.S. Lay off the god damn 'All Your Base' jokes...god dammit. That died out like a year ago, you stupid asshole!

Old Post 08-19-02 05:28 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

How many pages did you go back to reach this thread?

Old Post 08-19-02 05:33 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Danarchy

fraggle said:

That's what I was thinking. I mean, he had to read through like 20-30 pages of threads to find this one, instead of just starting a new thread for his question which would have taken 1/10 the time and efforet, and caused 1/100 the scorn and consequenses.

Old Post 08-19-02 05:35 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Baron-Of-Hell

Doom II, map 15 Industrial Zone! The secret that leads to the Map 31 Wolfenstein! The secret Cacodemon room down in the acid! The secret Arachnotron room in the last building and leads out to the acid!

Old Post 08-19-02 05:36 #
Baron-Of-Hell is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Kurgan
Warming Up

fraggle said:

No, I just typed in a search for 'secrets' and came up with this. And the conversation came SO close to answering my question. I didn't really wan't to start a new thread for that one small question.

Old Post 08-19-02 22:00 #
The Kurgan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Danarchy

Heh...this is so old...I wonder if I can send messages back in time through it...

Old Post 08-20-02 04:23 #
nxn
meephead

the_Danarchist said:
Heh...this is so old...I wonder if I can send messages back in time through it...

Sure, it's called the 'Edit' button.

Old Post 08-20-02 04:25 #
nxn is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Danarchy

No...I mean, this is so old that it's probably ended up creating some sort of temporal breach that maybe I could send messages to myself through.

Old Post 08-20-02 04:27 #
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

This topic is so Doom-related, at least it was supposed to be.

Old Post 08-20-02 04:29 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

the_Danarchist said:
Lots of 'f**ks'

I smell a banning coming on...

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 08-20-02 08:15 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
nxn
meephead

the_Danarchist said:
No...I mean, this is so old that it's probably ended up creating some sort of temporal breach that maybe I could send messages to myself through.

Umm, too many sci fi books for teh dan.

NiGHTMARE said:

I smell a banning coming on...

As far as I know no one cares if you curse on dw. Atleast I've been doing it for a while and nothing happened to me because of it. Besides wasn't he flaming himself? Or his old self... or whoever the hell he thought he was?

Old Post 08-20-02 08:26 #
nxn is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

The golden rules of Doom secrets:

Rule 1: A Doom level must be possible to complete without discovering any secrets at all.

Rule 2: A secret must be a secret, ie. it must be supplied with a secret type sector and efforts to obscure it must have been done.

Rule 3: A secret must have a clue to it's existence.

One of the most crappy things about Wolfenstein, Dooms predecessor, was the implementation of secrets. Hunting secrets in wolfenstein involved much boring "running along a wall while pressing the activate button" action. Doom's engine, however, allows far more architectural freedom to make interesting secrets.

Rule 4: A secret must be rewarding.

Examples of crap secrets:

The section of wall that is completely similar to the surrounding walls but is in fact a secret door (rule 3).

The secret room that contains nothing but angry imps (rule 4).

The secret that contains the key to the exit door (unless it's the secret exit door rule 1 is clearly broken).

The level where all secrets show up on the automap (the secret linedef flag hasn't been used) (rule 2).

The level where you depend on a secret weapon to win a crucial fight (rule 1).

The secret area that never shows on your secret count (rule 2).

Old Post 08-20-02 09:02 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
nxn
meephead

My favorite secrets were in e1m3, they ruled because some you had to find just by hearing a elevator sound once you passed a certain point and then running around to see what exactly moved. Plus they were tricky and could be done with a lot of class and just running around here and there without any real plan involved.

Old Post 08-20-02 09:08 #
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

I love those small "preview windows" to secret areas in E1M3.

Old Post 08-20-02 09:17 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Danarchy

I liked how they were like 'chain-reaction' secrets. After finding one, it would lead to another, then another, and so on. Those were always the best secrets.

Old Post 08-20-02 10:12 #