Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Texting while driving can turn an LOL into an OMG

I loved the last season of American Idol, where Jamie Fox was the mentor for the contestants, and he's giving them all this singing advice and shit, then goes on to perform his shitty song, which was done entirely on a laptop and all auto-tuned. A total joke.

Well i'm glad me and my friends aren't the only ones who think that auto-tune is the most overdone crap today. I'm severely pissed off that they are now taking old good songs (Daft punk songs, Numa numa, etc.) and are 'remixing' them. Pisses me off that someone would be that goddamn lazy. I remember when rap and RnB were actually somewhat good in the 90's, but now it's just a fuck-fest of one-liners. This is the reason i can't stand it today.

I've had this fucking thing stuck in my head all week. I listened to all of the Auto-Tune The News series to try and overkill and purge the sound, now I just hear the ending theme song instead.

I hate you guys :P

Texas Libra said:

Hmmm, didn't Skinny Puppy's "Worlock" use something like a vocoder during its chorus? (If you could call it a chorus)

Bands like Skinny Puppy, Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle have been using distortion and vocoders on vocals for a long time.

Super Jamie said:

There is one person, however, who's been using a vocoder since before alot of us were even born:[/B]
(picture of Darth Vader)

And before him, there were these lads.

arrrgh said:

No no no no no. You get a Dalek voice by speaking into a fan. :P

Heh, childhood memories. How the hell does that work anyway? Whats the science behind it? I don't want "spinny thing make sound go zoop zoop!" or something.

I guess because the sound is intermittently being reflected back at you as the fan blades spin past your face. Think of it like talking into thin air and the sound wave just going away, then talking against a wall and having the sound waves come back at you. Now just speed it up heaps.

Super Jamie said:

I guess because the sound is intermittently being reflected back at you as the fan blades spin past your face. Think of it like talking into thin air and the sound wave just going away, then talking against a wall and having the sound waves come back at you. Now just speed it up heaps.

I would have taken ZOOP ZOOP! also.

Hm... /research.

Super Jamie said:

That's the general idea. As they pass into the path of the sound wave, the fan blades block the sound, and as they cut the wave about 20-30 times a second the apparent volume of the sound goes up and down at the same rate.

Which is pretty much how the BBC made the Dalek effect, except they used an electrically-generated sine wave to alter the volume rather than a mechanical device.

Say what you will about Souljaboy. Most call him the worst thing to ever happen to hip-hop, and maybe music in general.

But he did NOT jump on the auto-tune train. So, in a strange, strange moment, I must give him props. And you know what else? He's never made a song as bad as at least TWO Black Eyed Peas tracks.

Crank Dat > I Gotta Feeling and My Humps. I speak the truth.

Anyway, so I'm reading through this thread and I see people talking about Daft Punk and Kanye West, but you should all know that vocoders and autotuning are not the same thing.

T-Pain can probably be credited with this wave of autotune stuff

DuckReconMajor said:

souljaboyupindiohhhhwahmecrackitwahmerohhhhwahmecrandatsoljaboiwahmecrank
datrobocop

Let that burn your retinas.

I used to like auto-tune until my ex-wife wouldn't let me use the car stereo anymore. However, I do like to use it to make subliminal messages by making a vocoded voice into a synthline.

Nomad said:
Heh, kinda surprised anyone knew who Cynic was, let alone their first album.

I have the CD, actually :p