Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breadrobber

Wolfenstein

Sure it's not exactly DOOM (feel free to move it if you like, admins), but today I was at Target and saw that the new Wolfenstein game has been released! I didn't have any money to get it, but I was wondering if anyone else has played it or knows anything about it. Speak up!

I've been playing through it, and most of the people here would probably disagree, but I think it's actually pretty good. It's not really anything new, but it sports some pretty neat firefights and has excellent weapons.

I was surprised at how open the level design was for a Doom 3 engine game. I was expecting it to be a straight level by level game, but you actually have some open ended choice as to which mission to go to next, and what upgrades to purchase for your weapons and veil powers. Speaking of the veil, it's pretty disappointing. But what did I expect? All you really get is the ability to slow time, increase damage, and put up a bullet proof shield. It's all useful in given circumstances but the game's difficulty almost never actually calls for it. I've finished most of the game's fights without it, bar some of the more large scale ones.

I haven't finished it yet, and I'm not sure how far into it I am (and I don't want to really spoil anything, even if the story is really lame). The level design is pretty hit or miss so far. There are some really brilliant levels such as the farm, where you end up discovering an INCREDIBLY huge underground bunker where some really awesome setpiece events take place. But then you have levels like the hospital, where you walk through, shoot some Nazis, are introduced to a new enemy, finish all the objectives, and walk out the exit door without anything actually happening.

I've only encountered two (or maybe three, depending on what you might consider one of them) bosses so far, and they seem pretty gimmicky and throwaway so far. The fights are less battles than they are simple puzzles. Pay more attention to the environment than the actual boss.

I guess I've made it sound really mediocre so far, which most people will probably find it to be, especially the veteran gamers on here and the rest of the angry gaming underground. But I'm still really enjoying the cheeky story, the loud and satisfying weaponry (the particle cannon is AWESOME), the fast and very fluid firefights, and the occasionally excellent level design. I guess you could say I'm a very optimistic gamer.

Kinda looking forward to playing it, but since downloading 14 GB of GTA 4 took up all the bandwidth and time I could waste on warezing without feeling silly I'm just gonna wait till uni starts again and borrow it from someone.

Son of a gun I wanted to get this game, but now I'm not so sure. Bah, I'm gonna look up some gameplay vids, hopefully that'll give me an opinion.

David_Dweedle said:

awww.. Was gonna get it but if its based on Doom 3's engine then Im gonna give it a miss.. too dated for my tastes.

Engine != Graphics. I dare say this game looks about 10 times better than Doom 3.

WildWeasel said:

Engine != Graphics. I dare say this game looks about 10 times better than Doom 3.

how can it look better if its useing Doom 3's Engine?

:S

How can a movie look better if it's still being shot using a camera? Quit being so damn judgmental about technical quality and look at the quality of the resources being used.

David_Dweedle said:

awww.. Was gonna get it but if its based on Doom 3's engine then Im gonna give it a miss.. too dated for my tastes.

Every time I read one of your posts I end up asking my self "is this guy retarded? does he have a severe mental disability?"

Your posts in this thread have answered my questions with a big fat YES.

As for Wolfenstein, I'll wait for the demo. There are too many conflicting reports on the quality of this game for me to even think about spending money on it before I play.

I usually get very weary with raven games. They tend to be generic meh fests with boring level design. However; it sounds like they have adopted a Hexen-ish hub for this one along with a neat weapon upgrade system that sounds kind of swish. Also excessive gore and limb dismemberment. Fuck. Yes.

Unfortunately they also added squad mates. God dammit! Unless you're making some tactical type Rainbow 6/SWAT 4 deal, LET ME DO SHIT ON MY OWN. BJ's not some pussy who can't face a challenge unless he's got his super pals along with to kiss his boo boos and tell him everything is alright, This bastard murdered his way out of a Nazi prison camp with a Luger and a Hitler youth knife on more then one occasion. The B in BJ is for Bootstrap mother fuckers!

That said, I'll problby get it at budget price some time. if only to have another showdown with Hans Grosse.

David_Dweedle said:

:S

Fun fact: Half-life was done with the Quake engine. That's the first Quake if you don't understand. Just because something is built off an older engine doesn't make it inferior.

Also, what the fuck do you care about old engines if you're posting in a forum dedicated to a 15+ year old game.

/RAAAAAAAGE

Yes, it's a fun SP game - haven't tried MP. Nothing new, but still worth it if you enjoyed RTCW as well. Doesn't look that dated, although some of the maps could have been spiced up more. The town hub, while adding a certain sense of non-linearity, feels too cramped and restricted - like they didn't use the idea to its full potential.

Nice nods here and there, I was pleased to hear "Mein Leben" sounds again. The fake German accent got kind of annoying after a while.

It was pretty fun. My main complaint is that it's pretty dark. I had to crank up the brightness settings in a lot of places just so I could tell where I was going.

I was waiting for this thread to hear what the rest of you thought about Wolfenstein before I considered buying it. Now I'm reading elsewhere that it uses SecuROM, so I'll probably avoid it, unfortunately.

Captain Red said:

By the way, When the fuck are they gonna let us kill Hitler again? Come one guys!

Yeah, you should get to kill Hitler at least once in each wolfenstein game. That would be cool.

Captain Red said:

Unfortunately they also added squad mates. God dammit! Unless you're making some tactical type Rainbow 6/SWAT 4 deal, LET ME DO SHIT ON MY OWN. BJ's not some pussy who can't face a challenge unless he's got his super pals along with to kiss his boo boos and tell him everything is alright, This bastard murdered his way out of a Nazi prison camp with a Luger and a Hitler youth knife on more then one occasion. The B in BJ is for Bootstrap mother fuckers!

Maybe I haven't gotten that far yet but all the missions have been completely solo so far.

I'm just going by some stuff I saw in a trailer. Oh well, good then! I'm still far from over the novelty of shooting Nazis even if I really should be.

Captain Red said:

Hopefully anti-sidekick mods will appear.

I don't have any systems to play it on, but the new Wolf looked pretty cool in the coverage Game Informer gave it a while back. I'm still working on finishing Return to Wolfenstein on PS2. :P

Danarchy said:

Fun fact: Half-life was done with the Quake engine. That's the first Quake if you don't understand. Just because something is built off an older engine doesn't make it inferior.

Quake 2 engine.

Captain Red said:

By the way, When the fuck are they gonna let us kill Hitler again? Come one guys!

That would take away from the game's realism ;)

Because the game is already pretty gritty and real. Being able to enter a magic realm where you can slow down time and all that.

Having progressed a fair bit into the game, I'm surprised they brought back Hans Grosse (leading me to assume that, in series chronology, this and RtCW take place before the original Wolf 3D). He appears in a bar brawl, greeting his target with a gruff "GUTEN TAG." and punches him out.

Seems like they nailed the fanservice angle, at least, though I'm still none too pleased at them giving BJ a voice when he's traditionally a silent protagonist.

It was better than I expected. The way the veil powers were portrayed in the trailer made me think it would be like TimeShift (if anyone else here knows what I'm talking about, yawn). Thankfully the veil was rarely used for puzzles, and was more of a badass powerup. It made be think of the newer Call of Duty games, if everything was turned up to 11... except the multiplayer. The MP wasn't all that great. Otherwise, it was a surprisingly above-average shooter.

WildWeasel said:

Having progressed a fair bit into the game, I'm surprised they brought back Hans Grosse (leading me to assume that, in series chronology, this and RtCW take place before the original Wolf 3D).

For that matter, he appeared and died in the 3D motion comic too. IMO, don't bother finding any story continuity or chronological order here.