• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Bombing the Moon

yo quick yall you got less than 5 minutes

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Edit: Too late it landed.

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — More than 230,000 miles from Earth, a NASA spacecraft hit a bull’s-eye on the Moon on Friday morning. Actually, two bull’s-eyes.

At 4:31 a.m. Pacific time (7:31 a.m. Eastern time), one piece of the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite — LCROSS, for short — slammed into the bottom of a crater at 5,600 miles per hour, excavating about 350 metric tons of the moon and leaving behind a hole about 65 feet wide, 13 feet deep.

Trailing four minutes behind, instruments aboard the second piece analyzed the rising plume and sent its observations back to Earth before it also slammed into the same crater.

Of greatest interest is whether there is water ice hidden in the crater’s perpetual darkness and frigidness. The data could play into the debate over where NASA’s human spaceflight program should aim next, whether to return to the Moon or head elsewhere in the solar system neighborhood. The presence of large significant amounts of water could make it easier to set up future settlements with the ice providing water and oxygen.

- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/science/space/10moon.html?hp

The thing got closer and closer to the moon then suddenly everything went white. The infrared was cool, too. They said the science team should start getting data in a couple of hours.

Neat, I always wondered if people would be able to live on the moon or on mars at some point in my lifetime. Granted this isn't certain, at least were potentially inching closer.

Would be awesome to finally get off this rock and branch out a little. Even if it's just to the moon. I've always wanted to see space exploration amount to something more than just research.

Can't wait to see the results, although I'd prefer another landing.

Hopefully, after I've become a smash-hit director, I'll be able to visit the moon.

It's all in the name of science, but I wonder how much that cost to launch all that shit at the moon just to be destroyed...

Nomad said:

It's all in the name of science, but I wonder how much that cost to launch all that shit at the moon just to be destroyed...

I doubt much more than any of the hundreds of Air Force planes that go down in combat. It's actually quite shocking stepping into one of those planes and having the tour guide tell you how much each of those computer systems costs we put up in the air just to be shot down.

Also, withholding space shuttles, it's not like we reuse most of the stuff we put into space anyway.

Krispavera said:

Probably quite a bit, but those scientists looked pretty happy after it hit.

And that's priceless.

Csonicgo said:

Y'all just wait until the USA puts frickin' lasers up there.

holy crap that'd be awesome. it's just so cool to build expensive crap and drive it into the moon at high speed!

anyways, the predictions say there's about a litre of water to be mined off a ton of moon rock. in order to wash my eyes when i wake up there in the moon base, there has to be some heavy machinery working during my sleep. what will be fueling it? i mean, we're talking the dark side of the moon, right?

Its obviously a conspricsy. We are not looking for water, we have water in the USA.

This missile strike on the moon is the first wave of an invasion by the USA to occupy and invade the Moon for its oil reserves.

Neat. It would be very interesting to have an opportunity to live on the moon. Although I'm not holding my breath.

Csonicgo said:

Y'all just wait until the USA puts frickin' lasers up there.

They could call it a "Death Star".

DuckReconMajor said:
There is no dark side of the moon.

Sure there is, it's the side opposite the Sun. It just moves around...

DuckReconMajor said:

There is no dark side of the moon. Both sides get the same amount of light.

"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter o' fact, it's all dark."

WildWeasel said:

"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter o' fact, it's all dark."

That's exactly the quote that sprang into my mind when I read DuckReconMajor's post.

DuckReconMajor said:

There is no dark side of the moon. Both sides get the same amount of light.

oh wow, now i feel like a complete retard. serves me right for posting 5 seconds before going out. to undo my shame, i volunteer for the first manned moon exploration suicide mission. just before the impact, i will go out, lick the rocks and report on the water content.

The presence of large significant amounts of water could make it easier to set up future settlements with the ice providing water and oxygen.

Sweet, I guess we don't have to worry about global warming anymore. As soon as we fuck up the Earth we can just go to the moon.

Craigs said:

Sweet, I guess we don't have to worry about global warming anymore. As soon as we fuck up the Earth we can just go to the moon.

Heh. The moon's gravity strength is basically impossible for us to live on so yeah.. we fuck up the earth, we get fucked along with it. :P