Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Real Doom Weapons.

Mr. Freeze said:

Hey Maes, what did you use during your Army training? The G3?

G3A3, G3A4 (in 7.62 cal), HK-11 and Colt 1911 .45 cal. I have also shot with pump shotguns, O/U shotguns, as well as 9mm, .22 and .375 mag handguns and revolvers outside of the Army.

Hay Maes, how is the handling on the G3? Are they easy to carry around and shoulder? Always wanted to fire one but never had the chance.

"recoiless" usually seems to mean little/no muzzle climb thanks to the counterweight mechanisms. I'm sure your shoulder still takes a beating firing a AA-12 on full auto

Satyr000 said:

Hay Maes, how is the handling on the G3? Are they easy to carry around and shoulder? Always wanted to fire one but never had the chance.

The A3 with the fixed olive drab plastic stock is considered the "lowly grunt"'s rifle (it's mostly issued to privates, conscript or volunteer), and is subject to learning all drill routines [shoulder-arms (slope arms in your terms), saluting, present-arms, at-feet-arms (shoulder arms in your termsy) etc] at full complexity.

Carrying the A3 around is somewhat cumbersome, as the plastic stock where the carrying belt attaches stretches it too much, so that you can't have it hanging from your neck or shoulder like the A4. You'll either have to march with it at slope-arms like a tin soldier, or pack it on your back like a hunter.

The A4 has a black metal folding stock with a black rubber butt that looks way cooler, much more "special ops" in appearance. It also has way easier shouldering, carrying and drilling modes. It's no wonder it's only issued to NCOs and inferior officers (superior and generals get handguns instead). Needless to say, I had an A4 ;-)

As I mentioned, with the A4 all drill commands are extremely simplified: both the shoulder and slope-arms position consists simply of keeping it hanged under your left arm (the belt's length and balance with the stock folded are just perfect for that), and both presenting & saluting consist of just saluting the barrel with your right hand without moving the rifle, while with the A3 you have to do all the present-arms drill AND have the rifle at slope-arms at all times to perform them properly).

About firing them...they are about the same: very "dry" firing sound, nervous but weak recoil with a feeling of a large, slow mass movement (the bolt mechanism is quite heavy). The pistol grip and forestock are adequate and provide a good grip, but the back side of the pistol grip can rash the flesh between your thumb and index unless you file off some seam material.

They are quite controllable under fire but the sights could be better (the 300 and 400 m settings are almost unusable unless you have the eye of an eagle). The A4 may be a bit more stable when firing on your knees or standing due to it being slightly heavier, but it's also more tiring to keep in that position long enough.

The A4 can also be fired from the hip more easily with the stock folded, but IMHO that's the worst way to fire it (it's impossible to hit anything beyond 25m unless you are VERY familiar with it, and makes you look like a mexican gangster :-p)

Disassembly and cleaning is pretty basic, and there are very few parts even in the bolt head (the smallest is a 2-inch long spring). It takes some skill to unlock the bolt head consistently though, especially in rifles that haven't been fired/cleaned much. Interestingly enough, you can swap the butts of the A3 and A4, changing their "gender", as they are exactly the same rifle otherwise.

Do you prefer the G3 of the M16/M4?

And is anything from your military made in Greece?

Mr. Freeze said:

Do you prefer the G3 of the M16/M4?

Can't decide, sure the M16 has a history of its own but I never had a chance to try it. I'd probably pick an AK 47 over both, anyway :-p

Mr. Freeze said:

And is anything from your military made in Greece?

Yeah. The G3 rifles are produced locally under license, as are some other light weapons (HK11 LMG and MG3 machine gun) and vehicles (Mercedes GD240 and Steyr trucks), as well as spare parts for Leopard tanks. Also some UAVs, telcom/crypto equipment and our own C4I system.

Bloodshedder said:

Lol I meant .357 magnum, which is much more practical to reper and fire ;-)

arrrgh said:

This is all that I need

I'd like it more if the glide rail was taken off. Must make changing mags in a hurry a pain.