Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Airman266

DOSBOX help?

OK, so I'm trying to install a really old Windows 95 game called NAM on my laptop which is running Vista. The game will not install at all. I receive the error message when trying to run the install program:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

So I figured I would try to install the game using DOSBOX. Honestly I'm not very experienced with DOS at all and alot of the commands are confusing me, but I did figure out how to mount my C and E(cd-rom) drives. But I cannot get the install program to run. I'm having a problem getting the forward slash\ to type into the command prompt, so I've been working using the AUTOEXEC section in the Config file. This is what I am thinking I should be using in the AUTOEXEC:

MOUNT C C:\NAM
MOUNT E E:\ -t cdrom
E:\WINSTALL

WINSTALL is the installation program for the game. I've also tried changing this to WINSTALL.EXE, SETUP, and SETUP.EXE. Nothing works. I'm confused as all hell. How do I run the install program?

Ooo, a BUILD game nobody remembers! How interesting (and probably so buggy and crappy it's not worth playing).

Honestly, I can't find any info about this game other than a crappy fan site or two and some reviews saying it's shit. Seeing as how it's basically just a TC for Duke3D, perhaps we can go on that.

Can you list the files you see if you look in the CD? We probably only need to know the ones in the root folder. The files buried in folders are likely to be less useful.

Winstall is for Windows, forget DOSBox for running that.

You might have luck creating a shortcut to the installer, going into the Properties of the shortcut and selecting Windows 95 in the Compatiblity mode tab.

You might have to do the same to the program shortcut, if that successfully installs.

If not, like GreyGhost said, INSTALL is what you want to run in DOSBox.

Just to be sure, I fossicked around and dug out my copy. The manual's "Getting Started" page states -

INSTALLATION

From Windows 95
... "If Autorun is not enabled, simply run Winstall from the NAM CD-ROM and follow the onscreen prompts."

From DOS... "Run Install from the CD-ROM, and follow the onscreen prompts." (Also applies to Windows 3.x)

Super Jamie said:

You might have luck creating a shortcut to the installer, going into the Properties of the shortcut and selecting Windows 95 in the Compatiblity mode tab.

That won't do much. It appears he has a x64 version of Windows and those remove all support for 16-bit applications, which the installer looks like it is.

Well I can't believe how simple that was... actually I guess I can. Changing the command to Install made it work. The graphics are horrendous of course but I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the help all.